Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is absolutely a bad joke.  Napier should have been the guy.  He turned down Auburn to stay at freaking Louisiana!!! 10 years removed from a National title, 7 years removed from a title game appearance, a long history of football success and plenty of money, and Napier decides to stay at Louisiana instead of coming to Auburn.  What in the hell is going on here? If the people running Auburn have turned it into such a miserable place to come coach that Sunbelt coaches are turning us down then I would think that some serious soul-searching needs to happen at the highest levels, and some of these boosters and administration need to realize that they are problem.  

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

All in favor of taking this conversation over to the Meltdown Thread?

Nah, wait until the confirmation of whatever garbage the BoT hires. Then we officially meltdown.

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Oh my God delete this before someone fact checks you. 

And he is dominating the conference. 2 titles in 3 years and 3 straight championship game appearances. 

I meant to but 3/5

It won't matter because he can't even choose his own staff here

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Bill Clark has 5 or more losses every year at UAB. If he can't dominate that conference what will he do here? Again, not near enough balls to be signed without giving up control.

Well this is just wildly inaccurate.

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Everyone wanting to understand why Napier or any other coach may take a look at Auburn's HC gig and basically say "Nope, not on your life", slow down and go back to this December 13th segment from Josh Pate at The Late Kick. It's 14 minutes long. Watch the whole thing. The next coach is gonna face the same s***. Malzahn gets a lot of blame on this board for things that he really had no control over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiSjrCtHROs

He did have control over his offenses not showing up in the 2nd half of games against teams with a pulse.  Or constantly settling for FG's because his offense lacked the basics of offensive play-calling in the red-zone.  I won't mention the QB issues, as their isn't enough time to do so.  He may have had to hire folks he wasn't completely on-board with but most were his hires.  Offensive guys knew not to apply as Gus wasn't going to listen to their input anyway.  Spin it however, but Gus was Gus' worst enemy.

10 minutes ago, USATiger said:

That fat-ass hasn't seen his weenie in 30 years, at least.

My source said he lost to Kay Ivey last year and they're not one to spread false info

2 minutes ago, Taco said:

I think it speaks volumes that we as a fan base is preparing for Bill Clark to be a serious candidate to be the next AU coach...

That's pretty much a mic drop moment.  It truly says it all.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well this is just wildly inaccurate.

I meant 3/5 just lost my train of thought. He's not what we need.

The funny thing is the world is our oyster right now. We are the only top school open and the only thing that people will talk about. But because we are Auburn, and because the power people are so stupid, this is where we are.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kevin steele is the nightmare and curse that just won't go away. Napier worked with him at Clemson and didn't want him. They were forcing him and some of the defensive staff on to him. All he wanted was the ability to hire anyone he wanted but nahhhhh that's to much for Auburn.

This is what I suspected. It's what tracks most with everything we think we know about these people. 

I mean, they've still got time to change the narrative, but I have a hard time believing anything other than the hand picked puppet narrative. I mean, it's not like these people weren't famous for this exact brand of shenanigans going back decades. They've only gotten richer and, presumably, more set in their ways since. 

Ironic that Gus got fired because he couldn't evolve. 

5 minutes ago, Taco said:

I think it speaks volumes that we as a fan base is preparing for Bill Clark to be a serious candidate to be the next AU coach...

My preference would be for this to get stopped in its tracks just like Steele. And maybe — just maybe — the PTB will realize they need to rip the bandaid off and give the right guy full control over this thing and stop meddling. I’ll try to remain hopeful that we can turn this thing around, but I’m also mindful of the fact that it’s been like this here at Auburn for decades.

Just now, Zeek said:

Now Kevin Green has passed away. What an awful awful day.

What happened??? I was just thinking about him earlier and how everyone wanted him back a few years ago...man...

8 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

What's that mean?

Circus tent

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I meant 3/5 just lost my train of thought. He's not what we need.

I don't want him either, but you have to remember context when looking at his record.  They literally killed his program and he had start over again.

Also important to look at his losses.

In 2018, they went 11-3.  One loss was to Texas A&M.  You gonna hold that against him?  Another loss that year was against MTSU, who he came back and beat the next week for the conference title.

2019 - losses include one to Tennessee, another to Lane Kiffin's ridiculously good FAU squad, and a bowl loss to #20 App State.

Point being, just saying "Well he's lost 3-5 each year" is really, really lazy analysis.

serious question...

Couldn't AD Green possibly just step up (basically the job he was hired for) in the best and future interest of Auburn take control of this circus, and despite the interference...  make a solid hire, give Napier or someone better complete control?

I don't see why he couldn't?  along with the President's ok, given the situation that has unfolded..  

make them fire HIM... or get out of HIS way and do his job...

and tell the meddlers thanks for your continued support, but we'll take it from here...

Archived