Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

serious question...

Couldn't AD Green possibly just step up (basically the job he was hired for) in the best and future interest of Auburn take control of this circus, and despite the interference...  make a solid hire, give Napier or someone better complete control?

I don't see why he couldn't?  along with the President's ok, given the situation that has unfolded..  

make them fire HIM... or get out of HIS way and do his job...

and tell the meddlers thanks for your continued support, but we'll take it from here...

Nope. Any spending over $1 million has to be approved by the BOT.

5 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

serious question...

Couldn't AD Green possibly just step up (basically the job he was hired for) in the best and future interest of Auburn take control of this circus, and despite the interference...  make a solid hire, give Napier or someone better complete control?

I don't see why he couldn't?  along with the President's ok, given the situation that has unfolded..  

and tell the meddlers thanks for your continued support, but we'll take it from here...

I think they fired Gus with money that had been raised by the boosters. But nobody wants to front the staff buyouts and he doesn’t want to pay for it with athletic department money, since they are struggling to keep people employed with the pandemic stuff. That’s my theory at least.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Nope. Any spending over $1 million has to be approved by the BOT.

Ahh, ok gotcha... knew there had to be a catch

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't want him either, but you have to remember context when looking at his record.  They literally killed his program and he had start over again.

Also important to look at his losses.

In 2018, they went 11-3.  One loss was to Texas A&M.  You gonna hold that against him?  Another loss that year was against MTSU, who he came back and beat the next week for the conference title.

2019 - losses include one to Tennessee, another to Lane Kiffin's ridiculously good FAU squad, and a bowl loss to #20 App State.

Point being, just saying "Well he's lost 3-5 each year" is really, really lazy analysis.

I understand what he's done. But I don't think he has the recruiting chops or pedigree to be considered at Auburn. Respect him but I would love to see him stay at UAB and be their Shug Jordan so to speak.

JBoy really goes in on his latest podcast. He also reported that Sark never interviewed. He said that Sark ended up turning down an interview when AU wouldn’t agree to buyout terms and when he found out his hands would be tied as well. I know it was reported differently here but I could see this being true as well. 

23 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

What's that mean?

Coaching search/AU is a circus 

37 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Yeah. I'm not angry with them. I'm just so disappointed in it all. I definitely felt like Gus's tenure was over, and it was time to move on, but I never thought things would turn out like this. I'm no longer proud of our program. To go from the year we had in 2017 to being turned down by a Sun Belt coach. The last part says it all. Being turned down by a coach from an inferior team and conference speaks volumes about the outside perception of AU football, and it makes me sad that our leadership and decision makers allow it to go on.

The Leadership and decision makers are the orchestrating this operation.  They're calling all the shots right now.

Just now, keesler said:

The Leadership and decision makers are the orchestrating this operation.  They're calling all the shots right now.

I know. That's what I'm getting at. Not feeling super proud to be an Auburn Tiger right now. Haha. Seems like they don't really care, so why should we? I'm sad that Auburn doesn't seem to mean much to the people running the show. Seems backwards to me.

3 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

JBoy really goes in on his latest podcast. He also reported that Sark never interviewed. He said that Sark ended up turning down an interview when AU wouldn’t agree to buyout terms and when he found out his hands would be tied as well. I know it was reported differently here but I could see this being true as well. 

What were the buyout terms?

You can either aspire to hold power or produce results. If you aspire to both, you will eventually have neither.

This thing could go seriously south at some point. How many would stay around with Clark and a warmed over staff when there are unlimited, unrestricted transfers this year?

4r7z4m.jpg

18 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

serious question...

He definitely doesn’t appear to be the charismatic leader, that everyone picks up and follows, the way we hoped he would be.

Tapping out for a few hours. Someone needs to let the ptb know that idiocracy leads to mediocrity. Drop to ego power tripping and get the best person to get the program back on track. Tired of this good ole boy BS.

RIP Kevin.  From my understanding, the man bled Orange and Blue.

I say we don't give up Napier. Call and email telling them we know why he turned it down and we agree with him but we want him here. The fanbase was so energized and as united as we've been.

Can y’all imagine turning down a job offer for literally five times more than what you currently make, with exponentially more resources at your disposal? Can you fathom what it would take for you to say no to that?

This whole debacle is saddening and maddening for me, but honestly it breaks my heart for my kids. My oldest is starting to love football and gets a huge kick out of yelling “War Eagle” during games and whenever he sees someone wearing AU gear. This steaming pile of s**t they’re calling a “coaching search” is , in all likelihood, going to setback the football program for a decade or more and will have ripple effects throughout the whole university. I met my wife at Auburn, bonded with my ailing father through Auburn football, have children who are growing to love Auburn, and these a**holes are going to ruin it. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Lack of accountability is driving it. They don't see the feedback cycle that they can't get an A+ hire in the door bc of the limitations they are putting into place. They feel like they have a solid B- plan that is more cost effective (both for them personally and the AU AD). And when it goes south everybody gets to blame AD AG and get their guy in his seat when he takes the fall. 

So it's literally pulling strings behind a curtain with no ramifications for making a terrible decision...in fact, every path benefits them with the set of values they have set for themselves (more power, control, access, influence, give Steele/Garner a full pension, make Garner the first black DC, yada.......definitely not a high value on what is best for the football program)

Archived