Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

What I don't understand is why the BoT would fire Gus. Judging from the coaching search, they clearly don't really care about winning, or, winning, at least, doesn't seem to be the motivating factor here. However, records and winning did seem to be the motivating factor for firing Gus. They clearly aren't interested in making AU football a power. So, why fire Gus at all? Where is the logic in firing the man if they don't want to hire someone and give them the new coach the tools to win? What is the alternative motive there? Did Gus not allow access to the program? Gus insisting on starting Nix tells me he did allow the BoT access and control. It's all just so ridiculous. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

For the love of all thats good and holy stop with the Urban Meyer crap. 

haha we've been turned down by Sark, Elliott, Cristobal, Napier, but folks think Urban Meyer is coming to town.  Holy smoly!

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I was so relieved and elated that we practically had Napier in the bag. I'm defeated now.

Same, I’m just in disbelief and ashamed at this point.  I’ve been a life-long fan but this shakes me to my core.

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

What I don't understand is why the BoT would fire Gus. Judging from the coaching search, they clearly don't really care about winning, or, winning, at least, doesn't seem to be the motivating factor here. However, records and winning did seem to be the motivating factor for firing Gus. They clearly aren't interested in making AU football a power. So, why fire Gus at all? Where is the logic in firing the man if they don't want to hire someone and give them the new coach the tools to win? What is the alternative motive there? Did Gus not allow access to the program? Gus insisting on starting Nix tells me he did allow the BoT access and control. It's all just so ridiculous. 

Gus did not allow them access

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

It's definitely a mixed bag with the folks running this thing behind the scenes.  It's almost comical if it weren't so sad.

1 minute ago, USATiger said:

haha we've been turned down by Sark, Elliott, Cristobal, Napier, but folks think Urban Meyer is coming to town.  Holy smoly!

I'd add Venables to that list.  I know Marcello tweeted he was still on the list but at this point he seems like a pipe dream to me. 

24 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Hoping for Kiffin or Sark.

Bracing for Steele or Clark.

I would finish the chorus if the F word rhymed with Clark

'Clusterfark'?

3 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

They don’t care about winning. They just want someone they can control so they’ll have access for themselves and their families 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

It's definitely a mixed bag with the folks running this thing behind the scenes.  It's almost comical if it weren't so sad.

Yeah. I'm not angry with them. I'm just so disappointed in it all. I definitely felt like Gus's tenure was over, and it was time to move on, but I never thought things would turn out like this. I'm no longer proud of our program. To go from the year we had in 2017 to being turned down by a Sun Belt coach. The last part says it all. Being turned down by a coach from an inferior team and conference speaks volumes about the outside perception of AU football, and it makes me sad that our leadership and decision makers allow it to go on.

54 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This isn’t going to end until we make the necessary sacrifices to hold the athletic department accountable. There needs to be a mass exodus from the fan base as far as the football program goes. But there won’t be. 

I personally do believe that "fan apathy" had developed to the point it did become a factor. I wonder if the PTB realize they are just piling on the outrage with this debacle.

Well, individually we cannot do much about this debacle.  But I am a 30+ year season ticket holder.  That's done.  My GAF and ticket money will be headed to help Pearl going forward.  #basketballschool  UK is on the way down -- we might as well take their place.  WDE anyway.  

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This sucks loof. I am hurting man.

Just so weird. Best two candidates in the country not named Urban Meyer were ready to get to work. Could've afforded either of them. Both would have checked every box in terms of cultural fit and PR home run hiring. Chance to immediately rebrand Auburn as a program with an eye on the future. Unless the misinformation game is stronger than usual, we just let them both walk. 

I'm pretty sure our boosters meet every couple of years in a dimly lit board room with hoods and masks on, each pulls down their pants, measures their weenie, and whoever has the biggest among them gets to choose Auburns next football coach, 

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

They don’t care about winning. They just want someone they can control so they’ll have access for themselves and their families 

What does "access" mean here? We keep using the word. What does it look like?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Just so weird. Best two candidates in the country not named Urban Meyer were ready to get to work. Could've afforded either of them. Both would have checked every box in terms of cultural fit and PR home run hiring. Chance to immediately rebrand Auburn as a program with an eye on the future. Unless the misinformation game is stronger than usual, we just let them both walk. 

Couldn't agree more.  It's not that we couldn't have hired them or done better than we ultimately will, it's that our leadership was so inept that they couldn't just go hire those people even though we have the resources.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I was so relieved and elated that we practically had Napier in the bag. I'm defeated now.

Same. Last night I poured over relentlessly as much napier articles and video's of interviews I could!!! I was hooked!!! I was sold!! ...... But Auburn was like nahhhhhhh screw you. You can't have any of that!!!! Sorry no time for happiness as a Auburn fan....

5 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

The probably don’t like Gus and Gus was not a very good coach either . It is as simple as that. Mind you I believe Gus got that buyout and all of the contract because of all that was going on behind the scenes (smart for him). It is almost like a big middle finger to the other boosters as a couple idiots went through with it. However , I am not sympathetic to Gus because he did his own meddling in the process to his own demise . The whole freaking Auburn culture is toxic . Napier could’ve been a catalyst to change that but now we will never know 

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm pretty sure our boosters meet every couple of years in a dimly lit board room with hoods and masks on, each pulls down their pants, measures their weenie, and whoever has the biggest among them gets to choose Auburns next football coach, 

Got dangit. Jimmy and his yellawood done won it again. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kevin steele is the nightmare and curse that just won't go away. Napier worked with him at Clemson and didn't want him. They were forcing him and some of the defensive staff on to him. All he wanted was the ability to hire anyone he wanted but nahhhhh that's to much for Auburn.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Auburn deserves Bill Clark at this point

And he will come in, take us to a natty only to lose it on the last play, and then be mediocre for seven years, then get canned on a huge buyout, then we hire another dud. Lol.

Archived