Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Aueagle7 said:

What is the knock on Huepel if anything?

As a UCF alum

Awful defense, some bad coaching adjustments leading to losses to inferior teams.

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Screenshot_20201222-113707_Twitter.jpg

Alex is just looking for a way to make money off of players injured in a collision on the field. 

First post,  but want to add some outside/slightly inside perspective.  Live in orange beach,  but from Arkansas.   As a Hog fan,  completely understand why you had to get rid of Gus.  A lot  of us didn’t want him for the same reasons you got rid of him,  but everytime we have a coaching search he is brought up.  He is an under achiever with the level of talent Auburn has,  and AR can’t recruit on that level so we have to have someone who can coach up.    

Auburn is a good program,  and has come along way.  One of the best in the country in both recruiting, fans, and money.  The problem you now have is the outside world sees you as a crazy fan base who got rid of a pretty good coach, when in reality you didn’t want to settle.  Much the way they saw us with Houston nutt.  We got Petrino,  then in true Arkansas way f’d That up.  Coaches don’t want to be on the hot seat day one,  and that’s what people think it will be.  That’s why some “big names” are passing.  It’s too much pressure from outside perception.   No matter what,  you can’t meet expectations at Auburn.  You don’t need a big name though   We had Morris forced on us by powers that be,  much like it seems here.  Hope that doesn’t happen with Steele.  We also had the “big name” at the time Bielema,  and you see how that went.  We now have a guy whose dream job is Arkansas,  he grew up a few miles from stadium,  loves the team (we are unique bunch that really only another can love),  willing to build, knows football, and that you have to be able to bring in right staff.  That’s the type you need.

1 minute ago, Gulfcoast713 said:

First post,  but want to add some outside/slightly inside perspective.  Live in orange beach,  but from Arkansas.   As a Hog fan,  completely understand why you had to get rid of Gus.  A lot  of us didn’t want him for the same reasons you got rid of him,  but everytime we have a coaching search he is brought up.  He is an under achiever with the level of talent Auburn has,  and AR can’t recruit on that level so we have to have someone who can coach up.    

Auburn is a good program,  and has come along way.  One of the best in the country in both recruiting, fans, and money.  The problem you now have is the outside world sees you as a crazy fan base who got rid of a pretty good coach, when in reality you didn’t want to settle.  Much the way they saw us with Houston nutt.  We got Petrino,  then in true Arkansas way f’d That up.  Coaches don’t want to be on the hot seat day one,  and that’s what people think it will be.  That’s why some “big names” are passing.  It’s too much pressure from outside perception.   No matter what,  you can’t meet expectations at Auburn.  You don’t need a big name though   We had Morris forced on us by powers that be,  much like it seems here.  Hope that doesn’t happen with Steele.  We also had the “big name” at the time Bielema,  and you see how that went.  We now have a guy whose dream job is Arkansas,  he grew up a few miles from stadium,  loves the team (we are unique bunch that really only another can love),  willing to build, knows football, and that you have to be able to bring in right staff.  That’s the type you need.

Good post and can't disagree. For me, Napier was that guy. Felt like he was an extremely hard worker and could evaluate talent well.

3 minutes ago, wulfgar said:

Good post and can't disagree. For me, Napier was that guy. Felt like he was an extremely hard worker and could evaluate talent well.

Agreed.  I still have some hope for Napier.  I am sure it is false hope, but such is life as an AU fan...

26 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This didnt do much for Arkansas last year. They had Kiffen sign a memorandum of understanding (said various Arkansas posters.) But until that contract is signed and a coach is announced, those things only hold as much value as "TP for your Bunghole." 

DrwcQ3h.gif

Works both ways. Schiano and UTK had signed a MOU. UTK bailed on it. I assume there was some penalty payout, but it is likely small.

10 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Joe Brady?

I would have thought we'd have heard his name a bit more, even if it's just from us on the boards.

Would definitely be an interesting choice, I wonder if he has enough experience though to run a program. And of course, does he want to go back to college?

26 minutes ago, Gulfcoast713 said:

It’s always good to have opposing fans that can actually talk on topics. @gohogs14is another good opposing fan that I like seeing in the forum. He basically feels like family at this point lol

5 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

I would have thought we'd have heard his name a bit more, even if it's just from us on the boards.

Would definitely be an interesting choice, I wonder if he has enough experience though to run a program. And of course, does he want to go back to college?

He is only 31 years old. He could coach for 10 years and then leave 

13 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

Im fairly certain its widely known that he simply does not like the recruiting aspect of college football.

40 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Guys I'm almost to Auburn...

Wtf is this?

Snapchat-626505832.jpg

Bro! You're BarningKnight? I'm Thatdrummerguy! 🤣

28 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Joe Brady?

Doesnt like recruiting or would still be at LSU or HC at Arkansas or Ole Miss. He chose to be a subordinate when he could of been the face of the program. 

If my LSU friends are to be believed, he ABSOLUTELY HATES recruiting thus his return to the NFL.

We have a better chance to sign Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, Bill Belichick, or even Saban.

16 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

See above

Bob Stoops. Back up the Brinks truck and call it a day. 

13 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

He is only 31 years old. He could coach for 10 years and then leave 

Also the next Auburn HC to leave for a better job will be the first.

36 minutes ago, Gulfcoast713 said:

The problem you now have is the outside world sees you as a crazy fan base who got rid of a pretty good coach, when in reality you didn’t want to settle.  Much the way they saw us with Houston nutt.  We got Petrino,  then in true Arkansas way f’d That up.  Coaches don’t want to be on the hot seat day one,  and that’s what people think it will be.

Good post and Go Hawgs. As far as the hot seat, Gus was only our 5th coach in 40 years. That’s a lot of stability compared to most other SEC programs. You’re right about how the outside world sees us, but as AU fans we’ve learned to tune a lot of that out. We will never be the media darling the Tide is. The people thinking we were crazy to fire Gus, likely don’t know that when we fired him we had one commitment from Alabama and zero from Georgia. That fact speaks volumes about the lack of effectiveness and belief he was generating for our program. All that said, this search had been an embarrassing debacle so far. 

19 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It’s always good to have opposing fans that can actually talk on topics. @gohogs14is another good opposing fan that I like seeing in the forum. He basically feels like family at this point lol

Well most of our fan base is rejoicing in the comedy,  mainly because finally it’s not us,  but also dreading the prospect of what a good coach can do at Auburn.  

Btw if I have learned anything from the last three coaching searches you can’t believe anything until it’s announced.  Our boards looked much the same as yours,  and most of us with inside info were wrong.  Way wrong.

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good post and Go Hawgs. As far as the hot seat, Gus was only our 5th coach in 40 years. That’s a lot of stability compared to most other SEC programs. You’re right about how the outside world sees us, but as AU fans we’ve learned to tune a lot of that out. We will never be the media darling the Tide is. The people thinking we were crazy to fire Gus, likely don’t know that when we fired him we had one commitment from Alabama and zero from Georgia. That fact speaks volumes about the lack of effectiveness and belief he was generating for our program. All that said, this search had been an embarrassing debacle so far. 

No I get that,  but if you don’t follow Auburn closely people just see the record of beating bama and Georgia 

5 minutes ago, Gulfcoast713 said:

Well most of our fan base is rejoicing in the comedy,  mainly because finally it’s not us,  but also dreading the prospect of what a good coach can do at Auburn.  

Btw if I have learned anything from the last three coaching searches you can’t believe anything until it’s announced.  Our boards looked much the same as yours,  and most of us with inside info were wrong.  Way wrong.

Not directed at you, but they must have VERY short memories.

Just now, Gulfcoast713 said:

No I get that,  but if you don’t follow Auburn closely people just see the record of beating bama and Georgia 

Gus was 2-7 vs UGA

0-12 on the road vs LSU, UGA, and Bama.

As mentioned before, I was completely sold on Napier.  I was pretty sure he would come even with the stipulation that he keep Steele and some of the defensive staff, and to be honest it's not like Auburn's defense hasnt been pretty good under Steele.  With that said, Napier obviously wasn't going to agree to that and Auburn should have gone with him anyway and let him hire his own guys.  With all of that seemingly over and done with, I'm going out on a limb and hoping for Buffalo's coach Lance Leipold.  He is unproven at the big leagues but he is proven to be a good coach everywhere he has been.  He obviously can get the most out of the guys he has, as he has coached at places that were not able to give athletic scholarships AND places where you really have to find the hidden gems passed over by the big programs.  You simply don't accomplish what he has thus far without having some great coaching ability.  He would be cheap, he would likely be extremely happy and grateful to have the opportunity, and you can bet he would work his ass off if his past is any indication.  He certainly hasn't ridden anyone's coattails to win like he has.  Anyway, just my .02 cents but I would rather have an up-and-comer from a small time school that has been excellent everywhere he has been than a "never has-been" or someone who has just been above average in the big leagues.

Archived