Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, dilligas said:

They call it a “show cause” order.  Bruce Pearl had one when Auburn hired him.  You have to make a case to the SEC Commish to get approval of the hire of someone under a show cause.  AU got approval to hire Pearl.  UAT tried to hire Freeze as an analyst a couple of years ago and were denied.  Another school tried and failed to get approval too, I can’t remember if it was Arkansas, Tennessee or South Carolina with their last hires.  So while he’s currently not eligible, after a few years usually they will relax it and allow the hires as long as the coach has remained clean during that time.

If we wanted to make it happen, we could 

4 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Ok then he should be eligible now so I don’t know why it was brought up.

Apparently he still has to be approved by the SEC commish.  So basically Saban has to say yes.

From https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/11/could-hugh-freeze-soon-be-back-in-the-sec.html

A Freeze hire would still require a conversation with Sankey, who through SEC bylaws has additional oversight of any prospective hire that has “engaged in unethical conduct as defined under NCAA Bylaws or who has participated in activity that resulted, or may result, in a Level I, Level II or major infraction.” Ole Miss received a two-year bowl ban, scholarship reductions and had to vacate wins after the NCAA Committee of Infractions determined the football program committed multiple NCAA violations while Freeze ran the show. Multiple Ole Miss coaches received show-cause penalties though Freeze was hit with only a two-game conference suspension he never had to serve.

The PTB have wanted Freeze from the beginning but Greene and Gogue vetoed it. What ensued is a pissing contest. The PTB have run off every candidate so they could come back to the coach wanted from the get go. They're determined to show Greene and Gogue who's in charge.

3 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I agree.  Question is do we want him or not?

Freeze is best buds with Gus. I still think the offense would improve. He's a solid option, the only problem is the behavioral issues and if he's willing to stay out of trouble. If he acts up again, he can never be a coach again 

3 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Freeze is best buds with Gus. I still think the offense would improve. He's a solid option, the only problem is the behavioral issues and if he's willing to stay out of trouble. If he acts up again, he can never be a coach again 

Hopefully he’s learned his lesson. Liberty was a good place to go rehabilitate so to speak. 

I am reading a lot of consternation here about the PTB and BOT wanting input, insisting that certain coaches be kept on staff. I have no proof that is true or not.

If it is true, keep in mind there may be a reason WHY they want to keep those guys. It may go much deeper with the big money people than "this guy is my buddy and he gives me inside info".

Think about what those coaches might know and how they may have worked with the money people in the past, in say recruiting. They may know where all of the skeletons are and could easily point the media and other entities there.

I am not saying this is the case, I hope it is not, but if it is true, it is certainly wrong. One can argue that, if it is true, we just need to bite the bullet, clean house and pay the price. Just be sure you when you wish for things you think about all the possible unintended consequence that may loom behind what  to a fan may seem like a simple common sense decision.

Again, not implying that AU has violated any rules in any way. Just reminding everyone that this deal has many facets and layers to which we may not be privy.

12 minutes ago, IGTBAAT said:

The PTB have wanted Freeze from the beginning but Greene and Gogue vetoed it. What ensued is a pissing contest. The PTB have run off every candidate so they could come back to the coach wanted from the get go. They're determined to show Greene and Gogue who's in charge.

Seems logical 

I am not totally against hiring Freeze, but I would rather have an up and comer rather than a re-tread / looking-for-retribution guy.  Freeze had some amazing recruiting classes at Ole Miss but in hindsight they were blatantly paying guys and committing a number of other recruiting violations in the process.  How much of his success recruiting was because of those things? Things that can never happen at Auburn because we will be under the microscope if we hire him.  My other reservation is I don't know about the rest of you, but I never was really overly concerned with Ole Miss when he was there.  To me, some years I thought they had the individual talent to beat us (and did a couple times) but I never thought we were totally outclassed in coaching when he was there.  I think Freeze was 2-4 or 2-5 against AU when he was head coach,  not exactly a good record.  Freeze seems like a last ditch option the more I look at the facts.  We have kinda already seen what he can do in the SEC and it wasn't great, more like good-ish.  

5 minutes ago, rockfordpi said:

I am reading a lot of consternation here about the PTB and BOT wanting input, insisting that certain coaches be kept on staff. I have no proof that is true or not.

If it is true, keep in mind there may be a reason WHY they want to keep those guys. It may go much deeper with the big money people than "this guy is my buddy and he gives me inside info".

Think about what those coaches might know and how they may have worked with the money people in the past, in say recruiting. They may know where all of the skeletons are and could easily point the media and other entities there.

I am not saying this is the case, I hope it is not, but if it is true, it is certainly wrong. One can argue that, if it is true, we just need to bite the bullet, clean house and pay the price. Just be sure you when you wish for things you think about all the possible unintended consequence that may loom behind what  to a fan may seem like a simple common sense decision.

Again, not implying that AU has violated any rules in any way. Just reminding everyone that this deal has many facets and layers to which we may not be privy.

One would hope that non disclosure would be tied to any and all termination/buy outs.

1 minute ago, mdp5150 said:

Was Freeze a great recruiter at Ole Miss because he’s a great recruiter or because they were paying players? 

21 violations. That's significant and systemic. Not an accident.

10 minutes ago, rockfordpi said:

I have no inside info. Im happy to be more than arm’s length from this debacle. I do know crony organizations and the ways public bureaucracies can be manipulated for gain. Everything from jobs for the niece, nephew, and grandkids, to those donations coming back in the form of contracts for supplies, construction, and ‘consulting’. Freakonomics are great books. If you want to understand what seems illogical, look at who has a profit motive. Again, i have zero evidence and am not accusing. It’s just the tendency of non-transparent, big money organizations.

18 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

oh lord lol

Old Auburn is the problem lmao

10 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

Was Freeze a great recruiter at Ole Miss because he’s a great recruiter or because they were paying players? 

Yes.

11 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

21 violations. That's significant and systemic. Not an accident.

If we do hire Freeze we should also hire a personal compliance officer to follow him around 24/7.

15 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

One would hope that non disclosure would be tied to any and all termination/buy outs.

Absolutely there are. Each coach has to sign an affidavit saying that are not aware of any NCAA violations.

However, that does not stop one from sending an anon letter or a message via an intermediary to the media or NCAA with a roadmap as to how things work and where the skeletons are buried.

FWIW, CTB signed the affidavit, got his money, and later spilled his guts to Wayne Flint (I am acquainted with one of the three people that were present when it happened). I think by the time that happened, the SOL may have already run.

Archived