Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

I would have thought we'd have heard his name a bit more, even if it's just from us on the boards.

Would definitely be an interesting choice, I wonder if he has enough experience though to run a program. And of course, does he want to go back to college?

Reasons Brady isn’t a serious candidate:

1. He’s got no head coaching experience... not a deal breaker but certainly a bit of a detractor. 

2. The experience he does as a coordinator have includes almost a full NFL season where his numbers aren’t that great and 1 season as the passing game coordinator at LSU. At LSU, it is a little unclear what his role was. He obviously had an effect on the program, but his title didn’t even make him the true OC. 

3. Outside this^ experience, he’s been a grad assistant, an offensive assistant, and a position coach (where he coached linebackers). 

4. If he does pan out, most people think he plans to stay in the NFL. 

5. He’s never really had to recruit.

Brady hasn’t really been considered mostly because he’s just too much of an unknown at this point with his limited coaching experience. 

39 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Bob Stoops. Back up the Brinks truck and call it a day. 

People should move on from this one and from Urban Meyer. If either of those 2 return to coaching, it’s going to be at one of the tier 1 schools... Bama, USC, Ohio State, etc. 

21 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Allen???? Nice to see you on the forums man, hope you can find us the right coach!

Greene isn’t on the hot seat. Every hire he’s been asked to make, he’s made well. This coaching decision, both the firing of Gus and the terrible attempt at replacing him, has been out of his hands from the beginning when his boss, the president of the university, decided to allow the boosters to take charge. 

Honestly, I’d be more inclined to expect Greene to resign out of frustration if anything. He wasn’t allowed to handle this hire, and and it’s been a complete mess. He will end up potentially managing an under qualified coach because of how badly the president and boosters messed this up. If I were him, I’d want out of Auburn. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

As a UCF alum

Awful defense, some bad coaching adjustments leading to losses to inferior teams.

Thanks. Was familiar with his work and record but nothing above that. Just was noticing his record among active coaches was quite good. Small sample size though. 

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

Bob Stoops. Back up the Brinks truck and call it a day. 

I know this is (probably) in jest, but wasn't Bob Stoops known for not being able to win the big games? His overall record at Oklahoma was impressive, but for being so dominate in the Big12, he never really could beat the best teams he played every year. I mean he had double digit wins in 15 of his 18 seasons, but yet only won 1 NC in that time and went to the NC one other time, and was 9-9 in bowl games. 

Alot of good seasons, but struggled to win it all despite all his talent and resources., not too dissimilar to Gus. 

3 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I wonder how much we would have to pay Gus to come back??....Assuming he'd take the job lol......

No way he’d take it back. 

2 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I wonder how much we would have to pay Gus to come back??....Assuming he'd take the job lol......

$21mill and personally getting to fire Steele?? Maybe throw in a jelly of the month card to smooth over hurt feelings. It’s the gift that keeps on giving and all. 

1 hour ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Someone told me Napier didn’t want to work for Greene. Said he didn’t want to work for an AD who is on the hot seat. 

OR work for and AD that has no power & has already interviewed elsewhere?  Napier didn't know who his boss would be, and he was spooked with the notion that it may be the BOT/PTB at Auburn.  I'm sure he's seen how some of our former HC's were handled by that ilk in the past.  Sadly enough, Auburn has a long standing reputation.

5 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

The man's sitting on the 1st $10million buyout money today and doesn't have a worry in the world.  Why jump back in the frying pan?

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

The man's sitting on the 1st $10million buyout money today and doesn't have a worry in the world.  Why jump back in the frying pan?

Oh I agree whole heartedly,...I just thought that sort of situation had such a sad touch of humor to it, that I just had to put it out there....

51 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Greene isn’t on the hot seat. Every hire he’s been asked to make, he’s made well. This coaching decision, both the firing of Gus and the terrible attempt at replacing him, has been out of his hands from the beginning when his boss, the president of the university, decided to allow the boosters to take charge. 

Honestly, I’d be more inclined to expect Greene to resign out of frustration if anything. He wasn’t allowed to handle this hire, and and it’s been a complete mess. He will end up potentially managing an under qualified coach because of how badly the president and boosters messed this up. If I were him, I’d want out of Auburn. 

To think he would stay here while the shenanigans and back room boys operate is doubtful.  He sees just how Auburn operates.   

19 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I know this is (probably) in jest, but wasn't Bob Stoops known for not being able to win the big games? His overall record at Oklahoma was impressive, but for being so dominate in the Big12, he never really could beat the best teams he played every year. I mean he had double digit wins in 15 of his 18 seasons, but yet only won 1 NC in that time and went to the NC one other time, and was 9-9 in bowl games. 

Alot of good seasons, but struggled to win it all despite all his talent and resources., not too dissimilar to Gus. 

Come on we can’t afford to be this picky right now. Lol 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also, I don’t know Jimmy Rane, but I did live in Alabama for 30 years. There’s a better than decent chance that Allen Green being a young black man has a lot to do with why some of these guys are insisting on having control of the hiring process. “We can’t have Allen Green hiring Tony Elliot”. “That would just be too much!”

So they hire a young black man but two of them is just too much? 
come on.. it’s been a non issue and neither would a winning head coach no matter the color 

I'm just a fan who likes to read and has no inside sources. Generally speaking, 1 thing I hate about college football is how influential people who aren't coaches can worm their way in.

Auburn and Texas seem to be the 2 schools that come up when it comes to people other than football coaches having decision making power. I know at least one coach went elsewhere because they couldn't build their own program (Kirby Smart) and is having great success elsewhere (Georgia)

Meanwhile, those teams (Auburn/Texas) can't seem to get it together.

Makes sense to pay a good coach and let him do his job

If it came down to it in a worst case I’d hire Travis Williams not Steele. Think he’s the best coach on our defense. Dabo was just a WR coach at Clemson and he worked out. Travis Williams has a lot of potential. Great recruiter, players coach, big motivator. Of course loves Auburn too. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Reasons Brady isn’t a serious candidate:

1. He’s got no head coaching experience... not a deal breaker but certainly a bit of a detractor. 

2. The experience he does as a coordinator have includes almost a full NFL season where his numbers aren’t that great and 1 season as the passing game coordinator at LSU. At LSU, it is a little unclear what his role was. He obviously had an effect on the program, but his title didn’t even make him the true OC. 

3. Outside this^ experience, he’s been a grad assistant, an offensive assistant, and a position coach (where he coached linebackers). 

4. If he does pan out, most people think he plans to stay in the NFL. 

5. He’s never really had to recruit.

Brady hasn’t really been considered mostly because he’s just too much of an unknown at this point with his limited coaching experience. 

we talking about Tom Brady?? 😉

Archived