Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BHDAU1 said:

As mentioned before, I was completely sold on Napier.  I was pretty sure he would come even with the stipulation that he keep Steele and some of the defensive staff, and to be honest it's not like Auburn's defense hasnt been pretty good under Steele.  With that said, Napier obviously wasn't going to agree to that and Auburn should have gone with him anyway and let him hire his own guys.  With all of that seemingly over and done with, I'm going out on a limb and hoping for Buffalo's coach Lance Leipold.  He is unproven at the big leagues but he is proven to be a good coach everywhere he has been.  He obviously can get the most out of the guys he has, as he has coached at places that were not able to give athletic scholarships AND places where you really have to find the hidden gems passed over by the big programs.  You simply don't accomplish what he has thus far without having some great coaching ability.  He would be cheap, he would likely be extremely happy and grateful to have the opportunity, and you can bet he would work his ass off if his past is any indication.  He certainly hasn't ridden anyone's coattails to win like he has.  Anyway, just my .02 cents but I would rather have an up-and-comer from a small time school that has been excellent everywhere he has been than a "never has-been" or someone who has just been above average in the big leagues.

Someone told me Napier didn’t want to work for Greene. Said he didn’t want to work for an AD who is on the hot seat. 

2 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Someone told me Napier didn’t want to work for Greene. Said he didn’t want to work for an AD who is on the hot seat. 

Hot seat? Did I miss something?

3 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

LMAO, Greene is no where near any hotseat trust me. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Hot seat? Did I miss something?

Old, rich, incompetent people dont like a young, competent person telling them how things should go.

Edit: also, if Greene is even so much as mentioned as being on the hot seat after the BOT tanked us I would hope everyone here would revolt. 

Just now, AU-Allen said:

LMAO, Greene is no where near any hotseat trust me. 

Allen???? Nice to see you on the forums man, hope you can find us the right coach!

5 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

As mentioned before, I was completely sold on Napier.  I was pretty sure he would come even with the stipulation that he keep Steele and some of the defensive staff, and to be honest it's not like Auburn's defense hasnt been pretty good under Steele.  With that said, Napier obviously wasn't going to agree to that and Auburn should have gone with him anyway and let him hire his own guys.  With all of that seemingly over and done with, I'm going out on a limb and hoping for Buffalo's coach Lance Leipold.  He is unproven at the big leagues but he is proven to be a good coach everywhere he has been.  He obviously can get the most out of the guys he has, as he has coached at places that were not able to give athletic scholarships AND places where you really have to find the hidden gems passed over by the big programs.  You simply don't accomplish what he has thus far without having some great coaching ability.  He would be cheap, he would likely be extremely happy and grateful to have the opportunity, and you can bet he would work his ass off if his past is any indication.  He certainly hasn't ridden anyone's coattails to win like he has.  Anyway, just my .02 cents but I would rather have an up-and-comer from a small time school that has been excellent everywhere he has been than a "never has-been" or someone who has just been above average in the big leagues.

I bet they low-balled him on an offer with stipulations all over it.....

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gus was 2-7 vs UGA

0-12 on the road vs LSU, UGA, and Bama.

Yep,  that’s the truth,  but perception is remembering those big games he won.   I get it,  believe me.  He was never consistent,  especially with the talent level.

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

Did Cristobol actually sign an extension?

He agreed in principal.  Auburn could still over pay for him, but I don't see him as the kind of man that would do his current employer that way.  He seems like a honest guy that would honor his commitment.  

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Nobody know anything.
I remember when we hired Chiz it was so far out of left field. People laughed at us. 

Then we won a title 2 years later. 

And 2 years after that, he was out as head coach after tanking the program. 

4 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Old, rich, incompetent people dont like a young, competent person telling them how things should go.

Edit: also, if Greene is even so much as mentioned as being on the hot seat after the BOT tanked us I would hope everyone here would revolt. 

Also, I don’t know Jimmy Rane, but I did live in Alabama for 30 years. There’s a better than decent chance that Allen Green being a young black man has a lot to do with why some of these guys are insisting on having control of the hiring process. “We can’t have Allen Green hiring Tony Elliot”. “That would just be too much!”

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also, I don’t know Jimmy Rane, but I did live in Alabama for 30 years. There’s a better than decent chance that Allen Green being a young black man has a lot to do with why some of these guys are insisting on having control of the hiring process. “We can’t have Allen Green hiring Tony Elliot”. “That would just be too much!”

He's not the foot stool they expected when hiring the AD from Buffalo so it drives them crazy.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You said it, but I been thinking it.

I wish I was AG, we wouldn't be in this situation we are in at this point. We may be without some high dollar donors but I can assure you their donations would be just that they would not be buy ins. 

Archived