SCOTUS okays medical pot prosecutions

SLAG-91

Link to article

Lots of layers to this decision...the states' rights folks among us look at this as a defeat in that regard, but marijuana is still an illegal controlled substance as determined by the FDA.

Does "intrastate commerce" now equal "interstate commerce?" My understanding of the CA law is that as long as it doesn't cross state lines, the possession and use of marijuana for specific conditions under a doctor's care was legal.

For those of you who want to read the opinion, here's a link:

Opinion link

I tend to think that marijuana possession should be legal anyway.

162578[/snapback]

I second that :nanner:

My mother died in 87' of cancer. Unfortunately, it was a year long, slow and painful process. My father is a surgeon and was able to obtain every medication known in order to relieve her pain. Finally, someone suggested marijuana to help with the pain and they were able to get some.

My father told me that if they had ever run out, he would be on the street trying to score a bag because it was absolutely the greatest thing he'd ever seen. It helped tremendously with the pain and was the only thing to give my mother an appetite, allowing her to eat and get some strength back.

Well, so much for "conservatives" being all for states rights. Seems to me, the fed politicians all feel entitled to meddle with the state governments, just on different things.

I say, let each state decide and vote for itself about guns, abortion, gay marriage, medical pot, the whole works, and if California wants to do one thing and Alabama wants to do the other thing, let 'em do what they will, and we'll see which communities turn out to be ones where people want to live. The only thing stopping it is, every fed politician, left and right alike is gonna be screaming about one or another of those issues, insisting that every other state has to be made to be like his own.

I'll tell you why they're cracking down o this in California because there are hemp places popping up whre for a fee you can just be writtten a prescription. No, medical exam is taken place.

And because of those bozo's everyone is going to suffer.

I'll tell you why they're cracking down o this in California because there are hemp places popping up whre for a fee you can just be writtten a prescription. No, medical exam is taken place.

And because of those bozo's everyone is going to suffer.

162617[/snapback]

I still think it should be legal.

listen I'm all for medical pot, but don't you want a medical exam to take place.

Or do you think it should be just "hey I need some of that medical pot" and then be given a perscription by the doc?

listen I'm all for medical pot, but don't you want a medical exam to take place.

Or do you think it should be just "hey I need some of that medical pot"  and then be given a perscription by the doc?

162620[/snapback]

No...I mean it should be as legal as alcohol.

do you have to be 21 to smoke it?

Do you have laws ready to go on the books for driving high? Can you have so much in your system before your over the LEGAL LIMIT? Why do you want pot to be legalized?

Or do you think it should be just "hey I need some of that medical pot"  and then be given a perscription by the doc?

162620[/snapback]

No...I mean it should be as legal as alcohol.

162625[/snapback]

I agree...at one time in America's history...it was legal...but during the sametime Alcohol was made illegal, so was pot.....and pot never turned the corner to become legalized again like Alcohol.

You cannot overdose on Pot....the effects of Pot on the body do absolutely NOTHING compared to that of alcohol on your body (liver). Its perfectly safe...and I see no downside to legalizing it. Its not a "crazy" drug...the effects are almost similar to alcohol....and unlike alcohol...again you cannot overdose on pot.

Not only that, but the medical benefits are overwhelming for a drug that has almost no negatives attached to it. You can say smoking it destroys the lungs....well no sir, you can cook a batch up and be well on your way :big:

Legalizing pot would save the government millions of dollars in drug enforcement...since this is a drug (remember, alcohol is also a drug) that isnt even as heavy as lets say: heroin, X, cocaine. Also, the government could even make money off of taxing pot just like tobacco.

I just think the Pros overwhelm the Cons on this issue.

do you have to be 21 to smoke it?

162630[/snapback]

If I were writing the law, yes, you'd have to be 21 to legally use or possess it.

Do you have laws ready to go on the books for driving high?

The same laws we have in place for drinking and driving would be fine for me.

Can you have so much in your system before your over the LEGAL LIMIT?

I think that might be the biggest sticking point from a law enforcement perspective. I don't know if there is a reliable way to measure THC levels that are sensitive enough to determine if the person is currently high or at least above or below the legal limit. We're a smart country, though, and could figure it out.

Why do you want pot to be legalized?

Because I think it's a silly drug to be illegal. vatz pretty much covered it, but, I think we make criminals out of basically non-criminals. We spend a ton of money enforcing pot laws by way of police, courts and prisons that could be better spent somewhere else. Many times, pot revenues to the dealer subsidize purchases of harder, much more dangerous drugs like cocaine, crystal meth, heroin, etc. for resale. That money would no longer be available. Obviously, it would be taxed like alcohol and tobacco so new revenues for the public would emerge and likely would make the product cheaper for the consumer at the same time. Fast-food sales would rise!!!

Do you think legalization of marijuana would be a bad idea?

As a practical matter, I'd like to see the drug users of the world using something that makes them all mellow and looking at their hands, instead of the other drugs that send them into irrational rages and delusions of omnipotence.

instead of the other drugs that send them into irrational rages and delusions of omnipotence.

Agreed. I hate seeing people waste their lives drinking "Crimson Kool-Aid" day in and day out!!! :big:

Truly a joke. Lets put some more people in jail, that will really help this country out :rolleyes: . Maybe one day the media will decide to cover some important issues, like the effect our massive prison population will have on our society in the years to come. Forget that, let's continue to put people in jail for victimless crimes for moral reasons that are a huge crock of bs.

At least the U.S. is still #1 at something (% of population in jail) :huh: . Go America, land of the free :lol: .

Guest Tigrinum Major

I disagree to a small degree with the arguments for legalization. I am far from an expert, but doesn't pot affect your lungs much more than filtered tobacco cigarettes? And are there not more long term effects, such as sterility and brain cell damage, from pot smoking than drinking alcohol, if both are done in moderation? Are were those just scare tactics that our education system has taught over the years?

The Court said Congress can pass the law. They could also pass legislation leaving this issue to the states. That's where the pressure needs to be for those who want this to be state issue. This isn't a good issue for the Republicans in the West.

I think it should be legal. It is harmful. It IS addictive. But so is caffine and tobacco.

The reason it isnt legal? The gvmt cant TAX it or regulate it like it can cigs and alcohol.

It isnt practical for me to grow tobacco in my back yard. Nor is it practical for me to brew my own beer. 99% of the people who use these products buy them pre packaged (taxable).

But if weed was legal...everyone would grow their own.

The government says its illegal. why? because it might hurt me? So. Its not the gvmts job to protect me from myself...unless im mentally impaired. Ive never done a drug in my life. But i dont see whats wrong with legalizing pot...when drunk driving kills people every day.

This law burns me up...much like the seat belt law. Why is it a law for me to wear my seatbelt? Im an idiot if i dont do it...but what right does the gvmt have to tell me i cant put myself in harm's way? How can the government make motorcycles LEGAL...but make me wear a seatbelt in my car?

Archived