2021 3 Star OT Adrien Strickland

AUgrad2013

The other point that Mikey is conveniently looking past is the talent level of the players that were transferring out: when players leave, it is EXPECTED that the majority of guys who transfer out are going to be lower-rated recruits at the back end of your signing class. IE: that 3-star DB that barely earned an offer never gets to play transfers down to South Alabama or whomever to finish out his career. That is "NORMALLY ACCEPTED" attrition.

With Gus Malzahn we had signing classes wherein ~70% of our BEST signees transferred out for whatever reason. That isn't in any way shape or form "normal" under any circumstance. When something like that happens, that means that that signing class which "ranked" ~10th-15th nationally is now actually a ~Top 35-40 class once you subtract and eliminate the ~70% 4-stars from the class who never amounted to anything for Auburn and left. That is BAD. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, metafour said:

The other point that Mikey is conveniently looking past is the talent level of the players that were transferring out: when players leave, it is EXPECTED that the majority of guys who transfer out are going to be lower-rated recruits at the back end of your signing class. IE: that 3-star DB that barely earned an offer never gets to play transfers down to South Alabama or whomever to finish out his career. That is "NORMALLY ACCEPTED" attrition.

With Gus Malzahn we had signing classes wherein ~70% of our BEST signees transferred out for whatever reason. That isn't in any way shape or form "normal" under any circumstance. When something like that happens, that means that that signing class which "ranked" ~10th-15th nationally is now actually a ~Top 35-40 class once you subtract and eliminate the ~70% 4-stars from the class who never amounted to anything for Auburn and left. That is BAD. 

I have been saying this for years. It always frustrated me when people claimed we should win a game because our recruiting rankings were roughly equivalent to our opponent's rankings. We were the WORST at losing our best players AND grabbing that one high four star that really did not fit the scheme, but hey, they boosted our rankings.

10 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I have been saying this for years. It always frustrated me when people claimed we should win a game because our recruiting rankings were roughly equivalent to our opponent's rankings. We were the WORST at losing our best players AND grabbing that one high four star that really did not fit the scheme, but hey, they boosted our rankings.

Exactly. It was the definition of "paper-recruiting".

1) Sign "elite talents" that either aren't developed, aren't utilized properly, or transfer out.

2) Fail to recruit to fill needs  at pivotal positions.

Outcome = roster with massive holes and under-talented because the guys who you EXPECTED to be difference makers are either not developed, or they're not even on the roster anymore. 

The difference is that when Alabama signs a 5-star that player almost always at minimum becomes a good starter if NOT an elite player/1st round NFL pick. At Auburn under Gus, the 5-star isn't even guaranteed to materialize into a starter - let alone a difference maker.

yeah, but we all need to be thankful that the PTB didn't wait until Auburn went 4-8 a couple of seasons to make changes like so many programs do!  

On 2/2/2021 at 3:50 PM, Beaker said:

yeah, but we all need to be thankful that the PTB didn't wait until Auburn went 4-8 a couple of seasons to make changes like so many programs do!  

The ptb tried to screw us, they just suck at doing anything so it didn't work out the way they wanted it to

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

The ptb tried to screw us, they just suck at doing anything so it didn't work out the way they wanted it to

Supposedly per @bigbird they are now on the same page with the rest of the AD in trying to do things for the betterment of Auburn. I would like to hear more on that from him, @RunInRed, or @WarDamnEagleWDE because that’s the first I’ve heard of it.

On 2/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, metafour said:

Love this take. Tired of seeing the media down this class. "Worst class for Auburn since 2004" but there is 0 context in that statement. I would like to see where some of our previous top classes the last 7 years rank after all the transfers.

52 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Love this take. Tired of seeing the media down this class. "Worst class for Auburn since 2004" but there is 0 context in that statement. I would like to see where some of our previous top classes the last 7 years rank after all the transfers.

It's an agenda driven media......I used to let it bother me but now I just expect it. 

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I wished I sucked at "anything" the way Jimmy Rane and Raymond Harbert do in their business ventures.😀

50 minutes ago, tinman said:

I wished I sucked at "anything" the way Jimmy Rane and Raymond Harbert do in their business ventures.😀

Try running a football team and I'm sure you'll accomplish it

4 hours ago, tinman said:

They both started at the top and worked their way up. They inherited their wealth .

10 hours ago, PUB78 said:

They both started at the top and worked their way up. They inherited their wealth .

Not Harbert totally.  He "borrowed" $1 mil from his inheritance and then started his own company in finance which is worth billions today.  He is not associated with the construction side of the family business.

But he and Rane have screwed the athletics at Auburn with their involvement over the past few years.  But we'll take their $$ donations anyway.

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Thank you.

@auburn4ever actually I have to correct myself. There are only six spots left in this class. The punter Oscar Chapman from the last year was a blue shirt which means he counts to this class.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, ellitor said:

Supposedly per @bigbird they are now on the same page with the rest of the AD in trying to do things for the betterment of Auburn. I would like to hear more on that from him, @RunInRed, or @WarDamnEagleWDE because that’s the first I’ve heard of it.

It's my understanding that the coaching search wasn't the CF that was played out in the media. I even told a couple of you that you should just sit back and let this hing play out. Did have a few who were throwing around their agendia to the beat writers and the beat writers hungry for clicks took the hook. Bad look for all of those folks and they have been exposed. 

Bill Clark never got a interview past a phone call wanting an interview. Damn sure didn't get a offer to be the HC. 

Napier interviewed. Wanted something like 6 million a year and nothing less, that was his attitude during the interview. AU told him "No thanks". He tried to back it back some and AU told him, "we are done here" and that was it. 

Sark did interview. Mutual parting / no offer.

Think there was some real mutual interest in BV. But when Harsin interviewed, Greene and the others had their guy. Actually pretty smooth.

Steele was never going to be the HC. He didn't have the approval of the BOT, AD or the Pres. Sure some of the PTB wanted him but was never really going to happen. Another media driven frenzy. 

Will say this, Greene took control of this early and did a damn good job. I've been real critical of him the past year but he did a great job here. Props to him. I think AU got a damn good HC in Harsin. The change that is sorely needed. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's my understanding that the coaching search wasn't the CF that was played out in the media. I even told a couple of you that you should just sit back and let this hing play out. Did have a few who were throwing around their agendia to the beat writers and the beat writers hungry for clicks took the hook. Bad look for all of those folks and they have been exposed. 

Bill Clark never got a interview past a phone call wanting an interview. Damn sure didn't get a offer to be the HC. 

Napier interviewed. Wanted something like 6 million a year and nothing less, that was his attitude during the interview. AU told him "No thanks". He tried to back it back some and AU told him, "we are done here" and that was it. 

Think there was some real mutual interest in BV. But when Harsin interviewed, Greene and the others had their guy. Actually pretty smooth.

Steele was never going to be the HC. He didn't have the approval of the BOT, AD or the Pres. Sure some of the PTB wanted him but was never really going to happen. Another media driven frenzy. 

Will say this, Greene took control of this early and did a damn good job. I've been real critical of him the past year but he did a great job here. Props to him. I think AU got a damn good HC in Harsin. The change that is sorely needed. 

Thanks WDE! Do you have any more info on the Sark tidbit?  Wondering if he had his eyes on Texas the whole time, or was his interview bad?  Napier comes across as a little in over his head...talking money before you have a job?

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I know all that. I was just curious why Bird said our PTBs are now on the same page with the AD?

50 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Thanks WDE! Do you have any more info on the Sark tidbit?  Wondering if he had his eyes on Texas the whole time, or was his interview bad?  Napier comes across as a little in over his head...talking money before you have a job?

Not real sure on the Sark interview to be honest. I know he did interview and no offer was made. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This two paragraphs need to be bolder and posted as a sticky 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

In hind sight think of all the useless threads and banter this would of changed.  Auburn is not as bad as many of the posters make it out to be.  War Eagle

8 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

In hind sight think of all the useless threads and banter this would of changed. 

It wouldn't. We still have a group of fan's who'll do what they do.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I’m sure this is a duh question but I’m at a loss, who is BV?

Archived