Men vs Ole miss

Maverick.AU

We DO NOT lose the last 2 games with our usual best home court advantage in all of college bball. The crowd would of got us over the hump when we went on our run vs Georgia early in the second half and the crowd would of helped us stave off Ole Miss's run. College basketball crowds more than any other crowd in sports most effect winning and losing. It is a huge difference this season. Road wins are up insanely all over the country. It effects us Duke, Ketucky etc more than others because of how much it boosts our programs.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kermit Davis is very respected and many players will tell you how as far as strategy and preparation he is one of the best.

As far as performance I think too much is being put into it. We have some talented guys but they aren't so talented you think they could possibly win the entire thing guys. They are young. You have to learn some things through expedience. It's why I called this.

It always happens to young teams. The grind of a season to guys who's bodies are still developing can't be avoided. Shots are going to be off, legs are gone. Nothing to be alarmed about really. Plus we don't have the big guys that banged and did the dirty work. Some would complain about them but you really can't see on a stat sheet how much they gave and the team benefited from them. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Kermit Davis is very respected and many players will tell you how as far as strategy and preparation he is one of the best.

Think we did a good job initially (better than I've seen before tbh) of passing against his 1-3-1 zone, but we just couldn't keep that up consistently. More than anything, they just killed us when we finally would find a way to get to the rim. And as the game got uglier and more half court, they did a good enough job on defense and we just did horrid on D. 

But if there's a single entity on the planet that muddies up Bruce's offensive style, it's Kermit 

9 hours ago, tigers23 said:

No one is going to cut Flans minutes.  Why I hate parents coaching their kids. 

I wouldn't call that a parent thing at all, Bruce just plays and prefers the guys who he initially let lead the rotation. It basically takes a catastrophic/miraculous performance for someone to get moved down or up. 

Jamal has had 2 positive shooting nights in the past 7 games, and is still getting about as many minutes as ever. This while Franklin has looked as good as he has at any point, and Moore has given great minutes. 

My observation is that we got "out toughed" in the final 10 minutes of regulation and it continued through OT. One can only hope that this will self-correct as the players get older.

Disappointing loss, regardless of the reason.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

My observation is that we got "out toughed" in the final 10 minutes of regulation and it continued through OT. One can only hope that this will self-correct as the players get older.

Disappointing loss, regardless of the reason.

Pearl mentioned that we are not strong and developed enough. OM has older and more mature players, and it showed as OM clapped down with their D, and it started to get harder and harder to get good shots. And we had no answer inside as we are not thick and strong enough inside to block out or control stronger inside guys.

One thing I questioned on last play. I didn't understand Sharife guarding Shuler. It had been FLanigan, but Sharife who is one of our weaker guard defenders had him, and there was Flanigan over on the wing guarding no one.

ALso, I could see Cambridge motioning to Sharife like he wanted to switch on defense as Shuler brought the ball up, but Sharife never noticed him being out at the top of the key.

Why wasnt a bigger, better defender such as Flanigan or Cambridge put on Shuler? 

The one thing that surprised me in the game was when White got the ball down low we never double teamed him. I can understand not double teaming him with the man covering Shuler as he would have made us pay. But White down low one on one was a sure basket.  I would have at least tried the double team a few times and make a different Ole Miss player try and be the scorer.

We lost for a variety of reasons but there were some good things. Thor is becoming more assertive give him 20 pounds next year and he will be scary. I watched Cambridge on D and he has improved he is moving his feet better and has long arms which helps. Some of our bench guys looked good in limited minutes. Cardwell get a lot of dunks on great passes from Cooper but only part of that is Cooper part is Cardwell watching the D and cutting at the right time to get open. I really think Cardwell has the tools to be developed into a true down low Center. He has the size, and strength and has strong hands he just needs the right coaching as everything I have read about him is that he has the work ethic. 

Add an honest down low presence  Cardwell plus Alexander at SG next year (Maybe Powell also) plus Jabari Smith at PF and we will be a top 10 team or better next year. This is assuming Cooper returns next year which I am starting to believe will happen.

Archived