Amazing how pedestrian and flustered a great QB can look

TitanTiger

Just now, TigerTale said:

until BN finds himself behind a quality O-line that he can trust, I don't see him improving.

Change "can" to "will" and I agree with this. I think many other QBs would have trusted that same OL more than Nix was willing to. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Interesting stat in defense of Mahomes:  According to NextGenStats, Mahomes ran 497 yards before throwing the ball or being sacked on Sunday night. 

PM ran his legs off behind the LOS last night, the pressure was coming from all angles.  

In a nutshell, the oline had problems and Bo had problems. I truly believe both will be better this season. The oline will have more experience and so will Bo, and hopefully a spring practice in between will help with this.

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

PM ran his legs off behind the LOS last night, the pressure was coming from all angles.  

The difference between him and most other QBs is he recognized the pressure early enough to not allow a defender to get too close.  He is also quick enough to burn you in a heartbeat. The man has such a quick release he is deadly.  It was impressive how the TB defense sacked him a few times.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I personally had the 5 posts covered easily, then you had to throw in the word “credible”

Can't count those guys that show up during a coaching change or bad season.....that would break the Internet with stupidity overload

A lot of the problems with CGM’s offense, and Bo’s problems, can be attributed to the running game woes. When we rushed for 160 yards we were 14-2, with under 160 yards rushing it dropped to 1-7. It was almost as bad with Stidham as our qb—13-1,5-8. (StatTiger credit...great vip article on 247) Hopefully this new pro style system will be more balanced and therefore bring better results.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well, this is an Auburn football forum and Bo Nix has been Auburn's starting QB for 2 years and he's played very poorly, soooo...

Also, this thread was started to suggest that Bo Nix's problems are primarily because of poor OL play. So is it more okay with you to bash the offensive line than the quarterback? Especially when they have taken as much abuse all this time as he has, despite not getting any of the credit that he's gotten for his handful of big plays? 

No it's not OK for me to bash the OL. Never done it that I recall. I did post one time that it would be nice if we could recruit a few elite Offensive linemen. I'm not complaining about the tirade of Bo bashing at all. Please continue. I was merely pointing out how interesting it is when discussion of QBs comes up it immediately becomes a Bo "discussion". Maybe that's a better word. Please excuse my interruption.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

A lot of the problems with CGM’s offense, and Bo’s problems, can be attributed to the running game woes. When we rushed for 160 yards we were 14-2, with under 160 yards rushing it dropped to 1-7. It was almost as bad with Stidham as our qb—13-1,5-8. (StatTiger credit...great vip article on 247) Hopefully this new pro style system will be more balanced and therefore bring better results.

That doesn't say "running game woes" to me. It says that a Gus Malzahn offense can't win through the air.

2 minutes ago, autan said:

No it's not OK for me to bash the OL. Never done it that I recall. I did post one time that it would be nice if we could recruit a few elite Offensive linemen. I'm not complaining about the tirade of Bo bashing at all. Please continue. I was merely pointing out how interesting it is when discussion of QBs comes up it immediately becomes a Bo "discussion". Maybe that's a better word. Please excuse my interruption.

Okay, but the thread didn't become a Bo discussion. It was started as one. 

Also, this isn't unique to Auburn or even college football. Despite a historically good defensive performance last night, all anyone wants to talk about today is whether or not Tom Brady is the GOAT of GOATs. In 2010, it was (accurately) all about Cam. Works both ways. It's always about the quarterback. 

Excited to see a lot of this put to rest this season. 

Also, Mahomes still looked great under all that pressure last night. He is just the kind of special player that stands out, even during his worst performances. The way he buys time for himself, and the throws that he is able to make off balance and under pressure is nuts. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That doesn't say "running game woes" to me. It says that a Gus Malzahn offense can't win through the air.

When your offense is predicated on the run setting up the passing game it most assuredly does.

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Excited to see a lot of this put to rest this season. 

Also, Mahomes still looked great under all that pressure last night. He is just the kind of special player that stands out, even during his worst performances. The way he buys time for himself, and the throws that he is able to make off balance and under pressure is nuts. 

With a bad toe too, that will be operated on soon. He’s amazing!

1 minute ago, toddc said:

When your offense is predicated on the run setting up the passing game it most assuredly does.

So I re-read your post and I'm still a little confused by the wording, but I think maybe you were actually making the same point I was. Apologies if I misunderstood. 

Yes, please, let's have an offense that can take what the defense gives it. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So I re-read your post and I'm still a little confused by the wording, but I think maybe you were actually making the same point I was. Apologies if I misunderstood. 

Yes, please, let's have an offense that can take what the defense gives it. 

It’s all good!

45 minutes ago, toddc said:

+1

Auburn hasn't had a strong ground & pound running game in years, even though the claim was made that the former scheme was a power run first scheme.  AU used to be widely labeled RBU, the truth is we haven't cranked out a 1,000 yr rusher in 3 years which is very unlike Auburn football.  😒

The thing is Mahomes did not look ordinary, he made some unbelievable throws while being harried some while going down with just his arm that were right on the money but defenders were there to knock ball away from receivers. This game proved to me what a great QB he is.  As bad as Auburns line has been they provided more protection then the KC line did. He ran for his life all game but never panicked and made throws most Qb's could not.  

When discussing Bo the monologue is always the same when he stays in the pocket and sets his feet he throws a great ball, you could say that about almost all college and pro QB's but when he doesn't set his feet the ball doesn't have any zip and is not accurate. Watch how much zip Mahomes got on his throws and how they were to his receivers that would have been completions if a defender didn't find a way to get a hand on the ball.

I propose that we just leave JJ alone and not mention his name negatively on this message board again. The guy did not have the greatest career at AU but somehow he is still a household name among the Auburn faithful. There have been many other AU quarterbacks that had more productive careers and their names do not pop up on this board.

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

I propose that we just leave JJ alone and not mention his name negatively on this message board again. The guy did not have the greatest career at AU but somehow he is still a household name among the Auburn faithful. There have been many other AU quarterbacks that had more productive careers and their names do not pop up on this board.

My question or I guess statement is the hypocrisy. Some of the people that don't want to hear anybody talk alot Bo are the same people that really went in on JJ, sw, mw, and js....doesn't add up. Historically QB threads would be 6 pages minimum. Now it's no that's not the only reason Bo wasn't good.......man I'm tired of the bashing. 

Both Bo Nix and our OL have problems that take more than one year to correct.  The original comparison is laughable, ftr.

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

…when his line can’t keep pressure off of him and he loses confidence in them. 

I wouldn't call it pedestrian, he ran almost 500 yards before getting sacked or throwing the ball.

The Oline wasn't great last year, but it wasn't as bad as most say. Either way, you'd hope to see more flashes from Bo. No one is expecting Mahomes, but that guy looked anything but pedestrian last night. He looked like a superhero on a collapsing offense. Or at least a great quarterback in a struggling offense. Bo looks like a struggling quarterback in a struggling offense. 

For all those who hate discussion about your favorite team's QB1, this will be put to bed one way or another this year. The OL will not be bad and the coaching and play calling will improve. I'm pulling hard for Bo. But if he hasn't improved, we know what we got. 

Who am I kidding, we will still just blame the OL. 

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

The Oline wasn't great last year, but it wasn't as bad as most say. Either way, you'd hope to see more flashes from Bo. No one is expecting Mahomes, but that guy looked anything but pedestrian last night. He looked like a superhero on a collapsing offense. Or at least a great quarterback in a struggling offense. Bo looks like a struggling quarterback in a struggling offense. 

For all those who hate discussion about your favorite team's QB1, this will be put to bed one way or another this year. The OL will not be bad and the coaching and play calling will improve. I'm pulling hard for Bo. But if he hasn't improved, we know what we got. 

Who am I kidding, we will still just blame the OL. 

I am waiting on the Coach Bobo punching line.

Archived