What happens to America if Chauvin isnt convicted of Manslaughter?

DKW 86

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/03/17/george-floyd-death-derek-chauvin-trial-column/4706010001/

►When called to the scene due to Floyd allegedly passing counterfeit money, Floyd denied using drugs but later said he was “hooping,” or taking drugs

The autopsy did not conclude that Floyd died from asphyxiation (though a family pathologist made that finding). Rather, it found “cardiopulmonary arrest while being restrained by law enforcement officer(s).” The state’s criminal complaint against Chauvin said the autopsy “revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation. Mr. Floyd had underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease.” He also was COVID-19 positive

What is justice? In Derek Chauvin case, a weary city that wears George Floyd's face waits for an answer

Andrew Baker, Hennepin County’s chief medical examiner, strongly suggested that the primary cause was a huge amount of fentanyl in Floyd’s system: “Fentanyl at 11 ng/ml — this is higher than (a) chronic pain patient. If he were found dead at home alone & no other apparent causes, this could be acceptable to call an OD (overdose). Deaths have been certified w/levels of 3.” Baker also told investigators that the autopsy revealed no physical evidence suggesting Floyd died of asphyxiation. 

►The toxicology report on Floyd’s blood also noted that “in fatalities from fentanyl, blood concentrations are variable and have been reported as low as 3 ng/ml.” Floyd had almost four times the level of fentanyl considered potentially lethal.

►Floyd notably repeatedly said that he could not breathe while sitting in the police cruiser and before he was ever restrained on the ground. That is consistent with the level of fentanyl in his system that can cause "slowed or stopped breathing." 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Dislike 1

Even if we're to assume drug usage was a contributing factor to his death, I guess the jury wii have to determine how much contribution that the use of physical restraint by Chauvin had on him. 

"Well, if he had died at home alone it would have been considered an OD", Yeah, but he didn't die alone at home, he died while restrained by police in a physical maneuver who's use had already been banned around the country because it was potentially dangerous.

It'll also potentially work against Chauvin in that his own fellow officers voiced concerns about Floyd's condition and suggested easing up, which Chauvin elected not to do. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

Chauvin's best chance of walking is if the DA argues too strongly for the Murder 2 charge or decides to make it all or nothing.  I doubt they do that, being that they just went to the appeals court to have the Murder 3 charge be part of the case.  The facts are on the State's side here more than in most of these type excessive force cases.  The video is pretty damning.  I think a hung jury is a much greater possibility than a not guilty verdict.

If so, there will be some rioting etc, but things will calm down and life will go on.

• 1 month later...

Verdict announced at 3:30 Central.

Less than a day of deliberations, so I'm guessing guilty of at least manslaughter.

I'd be completely shocked with a not guilty verdict.

12 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Verdict announced at 3:30 Central.

Less than a day of deliberations, so I'm guessing guilty of at least manslaughter.

I'd be completely shocked with a not guilty verdict.

No way there isn't a guilty verdict with the amount of deliberation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

No way there isn't a guilty verdict with the amount of deliberation. 

Think we'll have conviction on manslaughter, acquittal on murder. 

Dont some of the verdicts negate others? 

I do not have a clue here. I thought this was to give the jury a great selection. Guilty on all counts sounds a little problematic.

This just shows the importance of having police interactions recorded. No way there is a conviction in this case without the footage. It was so crucially important. Also, good on the bystanders for calling BS on the officers, when Floyd was clearly fading quickly. Hearing them plead with the officers was more powerful than any testimony at trial.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Dont some of the verdicts negate others? 

I do not have a clue here. I thought this was to give the jury a great selection. Guilty on all counts sounds a little problematic.

No, but they don't really stack. He's looking at 12ish years based upon Minnesota's sentencing guidelines plus whatever the judge feels like adding on. 

Chauvin was going to be found guilty of something, imo. That was a fait accompli. 

Murder 2 is the one that really seemed like a reach, honestly. I think Chauvin is/was a lousy cop, but intended to kill him? Seems like more of a "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence." scenario to me.

I can say this: I hope I am NEVER on a jury for a case like that one.

4 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Chauvin was going to be found guilty of something, imo. That was a fait accompli. 

Murder 2 is the one that really seemed like a reach, honestly. I think Chauvin is/was a lousy cop, but intended to kill him? Seems like more of a "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence." scenario to me.

I can say this: I hope I am NEVER on a jury for a case like that one.

The Murder 2 charge didn't require an intent to kill, only an intent to inflict bodily harm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The Murder 2 charge didn't require an intent to kill, only an intent to inflict bodily harm.

Minnesota's felony murder statute is unique. 

@Barnacle Indeed. I don't think it met that standard, either...but, in the end, I'm not losing any sleep over it, and wasn't my decision, thankfully.

No winners in this case...Floyd is still dead, and Chauvin's life is pretty much altered permanently for the worse.

Edited by SLAG-91
Unclear antecedent