What happens to America if Chauvin isnt convicted of Manslaughter?

DKW 86

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Minnesota's felony murder statute is unique. 

It is, indeed. It doesn't really register to me in a legal sense that someone can be guilty of both manslaughter and murder, but you can in Minnesota. 

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Interesting trial to follow. Surprised he was guilty of all 3. Probably having a younger, more diverse jury is what helped lead to that quick outcome. 

1 over 60, 4 over 50, 3 over 40. Very young. :lol:

57 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Chauvin was going to be found guilty of something, imo. That was a fait accompli. 

Murder 2 is the one that really seemed like a reach, honestly. I think Chauvin is/was a lousy cop, but intended to kill him? Seems like more of a "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence." scenario to me.

I can say this: I hope I am NEVER on a jury for a case like that one.

Someone correct if wrong here, but I do not believe intent had to be determined in this case. 

39 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

@Barnacle Indeed. I don't think it met that standard, either...but, in the end, I'm not losing any sleep over it, and wasn't my decision, thankfully.

No winners in this case...Floyd is still dead, and Chauvin's life is pretty much altered permanently for the worse.

America's system of justice was victorious. 

• Like 1

IMHO, justice was served. The video is really all you need to see. No human being requires, or deserves a knee across the neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds.

Each of the defense arguments was largely a smoke screen. After all, George Floyd was not the one on trial. The desperation of the defense crystallized for me with the “expert” postulating that Floyd died from carbon monoxide emitted from the police vehicle. BTW...the same air the defendant was breathing. Floyd’s oxygen saturation was 98%.

Justice prevails.

• Like 4

I think the appeal will be just as interesting.  Maxine Waters was incompetent enough to give him an easy appeal.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I think the appeal will be just as interesting.  Maxine Waters was incompetent enough to give him an easy appeal.  

It'll be a kitchen sink appeal but it will be dead in the water. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Won’t fly.

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

America's system of justice was victorious. 

Maybe...

The jury decided...so yes the system worked. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Someone correct if wrong here, but I do not believe intent had to be determined in this case. 

Correct.  In fact the charge was "2nd degree unintentional murder."  It's apparently some distinction in MN law that I'm not entirely familiar with all the nuances of, but the name itself tells you intent doesn't have to be there for this particular charge to be valid.

14 hours ago, GoAU said:

Her comments were ill-advised and potentially inflammatory, and the judge rightly took her to task for them. I don't know how much of a practical difference it made, because I think that jury had its mind made up from the word "go," but I don't see much resulting from her comments.

Only thing I could see happening on appeal in Chauvin's favor is maybe getting the top count of murder 2 overturned.

Edited by SLAG-91

40 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

I think that jury had its mind made up from the word "go,"

If "go" means the first time they watched the video, then you're probably right. Thank goodness for a rare bit of incontrovertible evidence. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Her comments were ill-advised and potentially inflammatory, and the judge rightly took her to task for them. I don't know how much of a practical difference it made, because I think that jury had its mind made up from the word "go," but I don't see much resulting from her comments.

Only thing I could see happening on appeal in Chauvin's favor is maybe getting the top count of murder 2 overturned.

I don't think the jury had much choice.  There aren't many defense strategies that can overcome that video, much less the additional experts who testified on the details.

The bystanders pleading for his life were the "500# Gorilla in the room."

And as said above, this will be a "kitchen sink appeal." But Waters should know that pols need to keep their mouths shut. 

Nixon Calls Manson Guilty, Later Withdraws Remark

On 4/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, TitanTiger said:

Correct.  In fact the charge was "2nd degree unintentional murder."  It's apparently some distinction in MN law that I'm not entirely familiar with all the nuances of, but the name itself tells you intent doesn't have to be there for this particular charge to be valid.

Felony murder, with the requirement for intent being absent for murder, but present for the underlying felony, which was third degree assault in this case. In order to find Chauvin guilty of third degree assault, the state had to prove that Chauvin intended to inflict unlawful force upon Floyd, that resulted in bodily harm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this was coming at some point. Any of our barrister types want to weigh in on the merits (or lack thereof) of this motion?

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Figured this was coming at some point. Any of our barrister types want to weigh in on the merits (or lack thereof) of this motion?

Not a lawyer but I can tell you this was ALWAYS coming. 

Again, kitchen sink. Won't amount to much. 

Popehat here is a former federal prosecuter

Edited by AUDub

The appeals may be the real game anyway. Just need one judge willing to over rule, or sympathetic enough to the police. Chauvin, (BTW, is anyone else having problems with just his name?) was interracially married. She was a perpetually high finisher in the Mrs Minnesota. I still think taking just a racial view of this may be wrong. Chauvin and Floyd worked together for some time as bouncers. I think there may have been some bad blood between the two as well. And yes, I am really telling you that I think it was truly murder. Chauvin is not a white supremacist, not in the classic sense, or he would certainly not be married interracially.

https://meaww.com/derek-chauvin-kellie-change-name-divorce-filing-life-career-love-life-husband-george-floyd

Where is Kellie Chauvin now? Derek Chauvin's ex-wife who was crowned Mrs Minnesota requested to change her name

On 5/5/2021 at 5:42 AM, DKW 86 said:

The appeals may be the real game anyway. Just need one judge willing to over rule, or sympathetic enough to the police. Chauvin, (BTW, is anyone else having problems with just his name?) was interracially married. She was a perpetually high finisher in the Mrs Minnesota. I still think taking just a racial view of this may be wrong. Chauvin and Floyd worked together for some time as bouncers. I think there may have been some bad blood between the two as well. And yes, I am really telling you that I think it was truly murder. Chauvin is not a white supremacist, not in the classic sense, or he would certainly not be married interracially.

https://meaww.com/derek-chauvin-kellie-change-name-divorce-filing-life-career-love-life-husband-george-floyd

Where is Kellie Chauvin now? Derek Chauvin's ex-wife who was crowned Mrs Minnesota requested to change her name

I absolutely agree that every crime committed by a person of one race against someone of another race is not indicative of racism.   Nor is the act of a very small number of individuals indicative of systematic racism.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Sentenced to 22.5 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Sentenced to 22.5 years.

Under Minnesota law that's at least 15 years behind bars.