Fox Sports Rates New Coach Hires

Zeek

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of like a pre-season poll, not really relevant until the results are in. 

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Lololol

Personally, I like the Shane Beamer hire. Pedigree isn't always a perfect predictor but, more often than not, it  tends to be aligned with success...his is unmatched. Offensively, defensively, and special teams, he's learned under some great coaches.

I don't know if he'll be successful at SC, but, then again, who ever really is? 

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Personally, I like the Shane Beamer hire. Pedigree isn't always a perfect predictor but, more often than not, it  tends to be aligned with success...his is unmatched. Offensively, defensively, and special teams, he's learned under some great coaches.

I don't know if he'll be successful at SC, but, then again, who ever really is? 

I don't know man putting a guy with no HC experience over Harsin is kind of a clown move to me.

This rates the hiring of Bret Bielema over Harsin. Gonna need to see some reason on that to not LOL away this bit of media fodder 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

This rates the hiring of Bret Bielema over Harsin. Gonna need to see some reason on that to not LOL away this bit of media fodder 

Still can't get over his vegas hooker wife who sniped him at a table

Well these are the same people who employ Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe so I wouldn't put much stock into what they say....

8 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Heupel as an A-, and Gus as an A+ is kinda funny to me too. Sorry, neither of those guys are A anything.

18 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't know man putting a guy with no HC experience over Harsin is kind of a clown move to me.

I don't like the ranking, just the overall hiring of Beamer to SC

28 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Heupel as an A-, and Gus as an A+ is kinda funny to me too. Sorry, neither of those guys are A anything.

As a UCF fan/alumni I agree

58 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Some of these hires, I feel, match the schools they went to.

I agree Gus is a very good hire for UCF.  But that is b/c it is UCF.  I think Vandy's hire is good for Vandy, but it would be graded really badly if it was for Auburn.  I honestly think Heupel isn't that great of a hire.  UCF took a step back with him.  If we hired Leipold, we would have been absolutely destroyed.  But it is Kansas, they are a football black hole, it s a good coach for them.

Sark should be the #1 hire on any board, IMO.  He has past success of taking a god awful team and making them better, but his addictions took over.

I feel like a B- is unfair for Harsin.  I'm not sure it is an A, but it is definitely a solid B. 

I can't reach the level of laughter this......poll.....deserves. Harsin was the best hire, for Auburn. Sark went to the highest bidder, Texas. UCF was trending down with Heupel. Anyone else, Auburn would have been skewered. The media is full of low IQs.:rollin:

A whatever for Heupel is crazy haha. But people on here s*** on RJ for his takes about Auburn last season and he was pretty vindicated. I personally had it at a B closer to a minus than plus, but that seems like the right range

Even if everyone here disagrees with the guy, it’s good that we’re sharing the opinion of reporters that have no ties to this school, and especially this conference. That’s the evaluation I’m the most interested in

1 minute ago, slyinsocal said:

I can't reach the level of laughter this......poll.....deserves. Harsin was the best hire, for Auburn. Sark went to the highest bidder, Texas. UCF was trending down with Heupel. Anyone else, Auburn would have been skewered. The media is full of low IQs.:rollin:

I have zero doubt we would have paid 5.7mm for Gus

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Some of these hires, I feel, match the schools they went to.

I agree Gus is a very good hire for UCF.  But that is b/c it is UCF.  I think Vandy's hire is good for Vandy, but it would be graded really badly if it was for Auburn.  I honestly think Heupel isn't that great of a hire.  UCF took a step back with him.  If we hired Leipold, we would have been absolutely destroyed.  But it is Kansas, they are a football black hole, it s a good coach for them.

Sark should be the #1 hire on any board, IMO.  He has past success of taking a god awful team and making them better, but his addictions took over.

I feel like a B- is unfair for Harsin.  I'm not sure it is an A, but it is definitely a solid B. 

Gus has appeared to be great for UCF so far to me. Like he’s getting them in the door for talent they never had before lol. If he can continue to recruit like that, it’s icing on the cake if he realizes his flaws in developing talent. On THAT level, they’ll be fine. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I don’t see why that’s incorrect for Illinois standards. They fired their best coach in over a decade, who gave em a lil spark, and then hired someone that’s arguably a tier higher...that also has connections in conference and regionally 

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t see why that’s incorrect for Illinois standards. They fired their best coach in over a decade, who gave em a lil spark, and then hired someone that’s arguably a tier higher...that also has connections in conference and regionally 

Bologna is a great hire for Illinois. Fits that culture, conference, identity to a T.

If they are grading hires based on fit or what the caliber of the job dictates then they honestly aren't far off. 

If grading based on results, also maybe not far off but this is why you play the game and I think they got a few wrong, including Harsin. I think he's the perfect man for this job in this moment.

If grading based on quality of coach... Uh...

• WarTiger changed the title to Fox Sports rates New coach hires
1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Why do you believe that? Washington 34-29, 24-21 in conference, and USC 12-6. I believe he is a good coach and hope he overcomes his addiction issue, but his resume doesn’t warrant a #1 hire in my opinion. Time will tell for all of these hires though. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Why do you believe that? Washington 34-29, 24-21 in conference, and USC 12-6. I believe he is a good coach and hope he overcomes his addiction issue, but his resume doesn’t warrant a #1 hire in my opinion. Time will tell for all of these hires though. 

To me, he's a great play caller and designer. A great OC, but a lot of people here are in a wait and see

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, he's a great play caller and designer. A great OC, but a lot of people here are in a wait and see

Agree. Hopefully his issues are well in his past and he reaches his full potential. How long before the “Texas is back” talk starts? 😊

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Lololol

Why lol? Gus was a terrific get for UCF. Nobody's a bigger Malzahn fan than me but Id say he's a better fit for a step down like UCF that plays two top 20 teams each season, rather than an Auburn that plays two #1 teams back to back. Boise to Auburn is a big enough step up - in competition alone - that Harsin's hire looks cautiously good (i.e. B ish). Makes sense.

• Zeek changed the title to Fox Sports Rates New Coach Hires
23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

UW was one of the worst programs in the country and he immediately made them respectable. They were a 0-2 win per year program. 

USC was also recovering from sanctions 

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Gus is a definite upgrade over Heupel at UCF.  With the competition taken down a notch, there is no reason to think that Gus won't be successful there.

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I suspect his offense at Texas will not be near as proficient as it was at Alabama due to the huge difference in the players. I also suspect his numbers at Washington/USC were much lower also for the same reason.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agree. Hopefully his issues are well in his past and he reaches his full potential. How long before the “Texas is back” talk starts? 😊

After Hermann many are hesitating so,  June?

Archived