2021 win total

Hank2020

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

How many wins for us this year. Article says 7, I think 9.

What article ?

• Like 2

All of them. Hey, I can dream. 😎

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Al.com-Mark Heim I believe.

Can you not link it?

I'm hoping 8-ish.  We have talent on our team, got better through the portal, and actually have a competent coaching staff.

We'll probably lose to Bama/UGA.  @Aggies and Ole Miss will be tough.  Maybe split. Split @ LSU and @PSU.

Win the rest, Sign a border line top 10 class, win the bowl game, get a bunch of elite transfers.

11.5 is pretty effing ridiculous win total for Bama/Clemson

Gonna be tough year from a W-L perspective.  I'm guessing 5 or 6 wins.  If we can win 6, I think we win the bowl game.

This tea is so hard to gauge. I could easily see us being 6-6. Easily. The thing for me is how quickly we adapt to the new system on both Offense and Defense. 

I think we will have a legit top 3 Defense in the SEC even with the new system. If the offense can take any kind of step forward from the previous staff I think it can push the win total up. If the OL can gel quickly and be efficient blocking unit, as well as a WR or two step up I could see us winning 9. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, countoff said:

Gonna be tough year from a W-L perspective.  I'm guessing 5 or 6 wins.  If we can win 6, I think we win the bowl game.

So we have 3 weak OOC games.  You think we lose to everyone except Arkansas & USC?  We beat Ole Miss last year and probably got better.  We beat State last year.  We destroyed LSU (albeit they didn't have their starting QB and we can't win in BR).

5 definitely seems low balling.  6 does too, IMO.  I think 7 is a really good line and 8 is a bit on the optimistic side.

PSU will be a tough out in Happy Valley.

LSU will be a tough out in Death Valkey.

UGA and Bammer will be tough outs even at home because their rosters are stacked with great players that are well coached.

Ole Miss, MSU and Arky will probably be the difference in a relatively good season and a poor one.   

I could see us pulling a couple of upsets and getting to 8, 9 or even 10 wins but I think the most likely outcomes is 7 or 8.  There will probably be a bunch of close games that could go either way based on 1 or 2 plays and nobody can predict how the ball will bounce in those.  

• Like 1

I feel confident that we beat:

Akron - cake walk 

Alabama State - cake walk

Georgia State - cake walk

Arkansas - they're trending up but I think it shouldn't have even been that close last year

Mississippi State - Leach might really be a bust. Our defense should make this winnable

South Carolina - revenge game hope Hars pours it on then if possible

50-50 games:

Ole Miss - Tank shredded their defense and I think our defense keeps us in it

Texas A&M - we'll see how Jimbo does without his 12th year QB

Penn State - depends which Penn St shows up. If last year is an indicator we get a big W but if not it'll be tough

LSU - I actually think LSU is still trending down but it's on the road... would love to break our streak

Would be surprised if we win:

Alabama - just don't see it happening even with a QB change. We're so behind on talent.

Georgia - lost even less talent than most and JT Daniels will be solid. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zeek said:

50-50 games:

Ole Miss - Tank shredded their defense and I think our defense keeps us in it

Texas A&M - we'll see how Jimbo does without his 12th year QB

Penn State - depends which Penn St shows up. If last year is an indicator we get a big W but if not it'll be tough

LSU - I actually think LSU is still trending down but it's on the road... would love to break our streak

Feel like we beat Ole Miss b/c it is at home.  the other 3 are all winnable, but they are all away in pretty tough stadiums to play in.

• Like 1

I think we win 8, or 9 if we get good defensive line play, can pressure the QB, and are stingy against the run. Frankly, I'm much more anticipating us fielding a team that will get after some a$$ than I am wins, and losses this year. 

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I think we win 8, or 9 if we get good defensive line play, can pressure the QB, and are stingy against the run. Frankly, I'm much more anticipating us fielding a team that will get after some a$$ than I am wins, and losses this year. 

I'm drinking the Kool-aid right now. If the OL is even decent I don't think 10 is impossible. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So we have 3 weak OOC games.  You think we lose to everyone except Arkansas & USC?  We beat Ole Miss last year and probably got better.  We beat State last year.  We destroyed LSU (albeit they didn't have their starting QB and we can't win in BR).

5 definitely seems low balling.  6 does too, IMO.  I think 7 is a really good line and 8 is a bit on the optimistic side.

I really don't think talent wise this team is better than last year.  Especially on the offensive side of the ball.  It's the same underperforming  OL personnel, they are not of SEC level talent, and the OL bench is thin.  Plus we definitely took a step backwards at the receiver positions.

The Mississippi teams will be much more competitive this season.  Both Penn St. and LSU were bad teams last year and I'm not really sure how they are positioned for improvement this season.  So I consider both of those games with us this year to be "toss ups" on a neutral field.  But since they are both played in their home stadiums, I give the nod to both of them (when was the last time we won in Baton Rouge?). 

So yeah.... I'm calling for only 5 wins.  6 if they can pull off a win against one of the Miss schools or win an away game at Penn St. or LSU.

But as I have said in other posts... I don't think a 5-6 win season is necessarily a negative reflection of Harsin.  It just means the timing of his hiring, the poor Malzahn recruiting last year, and the transfers have left the cupboard thin.  It happened with Saban and Dye and Bowden and Paterno.  It's not a big deal.  We just have to be patient.  It's fun to watch the development of a powerful football program and that usually requires a few years.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, countoff said:

I really don't think talent wise this team is better than last year.  Especially on the offensive side of the ball.  It's the same underperforming  OL personnel, they are not of SEC level talent, and the OL bench is thin.  Plus we definitely took a step backwards at the receiver positions.

The Mississippi teams will be much more competitive this season.  Both Penn St. and LSU were bad teams last year and I'm not really sure how they are positioned for improvement this season.  So I consider both of those games with us this year to be "toss ups" on a neutral field.  But since they are both played in their home stadiums, I give the nod to both of them (when was the last time we won in Baton Rouge?). 

So yeah.... I'm calling for only 5 wins.  6 if they can pull off a win against one of the Miss schools or win an away game at Penn St. or LSU.

But as I have said in other posts... I don't think a 5-6 win season is necessarily a negative reflection of Harsin.  It just means the timing of his hiring, the poor Malzahn recruiting last year, and the transfers have left the cupboard thin.  It happened with Saban and Dye and Bowden and Paterno.  It's not a big deal.  We just have to be patient.  It's fun to watch the development of a powerful football program and that usually requires a few years.

Only a couple small things I'd offer on the offensive talent front, which are the depth in our TE room is and us having a coach who doesn't mind using them a little more, and our RB situation should be better if we stay healthy. 

I think the defense can be better. 

But I feel like the most important points are in the last paragraph, and I completely agree.

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm drinking the Kool-aid right now. If the OL is even decent I don't think 10 is impossible. 

I don't think that's a stretch. It really hinges on what kind of teams PSU and LSU field. If this is last season's LSU, we could beat them with a hand tied behind our back.

I'm still leaning towards 7-8, but still wouldn't be surprised if we pulled off 9. 10 would be amazing. 

46 minutes ago, countoff said:

While I agree with you, I think an actual competent offensive philosophy will help make things better.  We were 75th out of 120ish teams.  that had a lot to do with bad game plans, weak mentally teams, than it had to do with raw talent.

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Only a couple small things I'd offer on the offensive talent front, which are the depth in our TE room is and us having a coach who doesn't mind using them a little more, and our RB situation should be better if we stay healthy. 

I think the defense can be better. 

But I feel like the most important points are in the last paragraph, and I completely agree.

The defense could be top SEC caliber........................ offense maybe not so much just going to have to wait and see. The defense will keeep us in a lot of games imo

• Like 4

Also remember that at least one team on that schedule isn't going to be nearly as good as they're supposed to be, one's not going to be nearly as bad, and some of them will be a lot different by the end of the season- hopefully we fall in that category, in a good way- than they were at the beginning. Timing is everything. 

We are incredibly fortunate to have the September schedule we do, even with the PSU game.

The only thing I don't like is we've got a long road trip every other week for almost the entire season. Fortunately the bye comes after Arkansas, but Happy Valley, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville, College Station and Columbia... that's some serious frequent flier miles. It'll be great experience for the younguns but everyone in the program will be exhausted by the IB. 

Actually, comparing our October and November schedule to bama's just nauseated me. They go to Starkville on October 16th. After that they have 4 home games- UT, LSU, Arky and NMSU- and a bye before coming to Auburn. In that same span, we go to Fayetteville, College Station and Columbia, and have both the Mississippis at home. To hell with an OT, RB and WR. We need a Jedi, a droid and an X-wing fighter.