Charles Barkley on SEC rival:

aubiefifty

1. Auburn Football

‘Georgia the only school that they named their mascot after the women’

Updated Apr 27, 2021; Posted Apr 26, 2021
USA-ENTERTAINMENT-BASKET-NBA-AWARDS

US basketball player Charles Barkley arrives for the 2019 NBA Awards at Barker Hangar on June 24, 2019 in Santa Monica, California. (Photo by LISA O'CONNOR / AFP) (Photo credit should read LISA O'CONNOR/AFP via Getty Images)AFP via Getty Images

shares

Charles Barkley’s shot at Georgia wasn’t received well.

The former Auburn star and NBA on TNT analyst took a shot at the Tigers’ rival when discussing highlights from a Los Angeles Lakers game featuring former Georgia star Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Barkley quipped, “Georgia is the only school in the world that they named their mascot after the women down there.”

For the record, Georgia’s mascot is the Bulldog.

Ernie Johnson Jr., a Georgia alumnus, replied, “Oh, that’s so totally uncalled for.” He later said he was “not even gonna dignify that with a response.”

Some took it as a little ribbing between SEC rivals. Others not so much.

Barkley has always been a lightning rod when comes to his SEC allegiance.

In February, Barkley called the conference’s fan bases the worst “in history of civilization.” The former Auburn basketball star was discussing “irrational fans” when he made the connection to the SEC

In 2014, Barkley took a shot at women in San Antonio.

“Some big ol’ women down there (in San Antonio),” he said. “That’s a gold mine for Weight Watchers. Victoria is definitely not a secret. They can’t wear no Victoria’s Secret down there.”

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

WOW! this is so frigging funny! i cannot believe no one posted it. and yes barkley is basketball but he is talking sports here not just basketball.

Ernie can spare me with his faux indignation...he was laughing right along with Shaq and Kenny when Chuck was doing his bits re: San Antonio women. It's his delivery as much as anything that is funny. 

People taking Barkley seriously when he's doing his schtick, and that's what it is, are just making themselves agitated over pretty much nothing. He's the proverbial court jester, and pretty much everyone is fair game. Sometimes he hits, sometimes he misses.

42 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Ernie can spare me with his faux indignation...he was laughing right along with Shaq and Kenny when Chuck was doing his bits re: San Antonio women. It's his delivery as much as anything that is funny. 

People taking Barkley seriously when he's doing his schtick, and that's what it is, are just making themselves agitated over pretty much nothing. He's the proverbial court jester, and pretty much everyone is fair game. Sometimes he hits, sometimes he misses.

It’s not that serious . Ernie is the O.G. and he makes that chemistry 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:36 AM, DAG said:

It’s not that serious . Ernie is the O.G. and he makes that chemistry 

And, in addition to that, is a genuinely good human being

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Those boys need to visit Marshall!

i will bite.....why? i hope you can make this funny jj

21 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Bet this kind of stuff makes it the Georgia locker room before our game😀

i am probably mistaken but i believe he said this years ago? anyone correct me if i am wrong. he forgot to mentions they drag their butt across the carpet with their front legs, lol i dislike jawja fans more than the turds...........

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i will bite.....why? i hope you can make this funny jj

They call themselves the Thundering Herd. And that's not just the football team! LOL.

11 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

They call themselves the Thundering Herd. And that's not just the football team! LOL.

we need to get that one to charles. jj i want you take me for a spin in an aeroplane but i am afraid you would take me for a hell ride! my old heart could not take it.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

we need to get that one to charles. jj i want you take me for a spin in an aeroplane but i am afraid you would take me for a hell ride! my old heart could not take it.

I'd love to but my A-10 days are long past but they only built single seaters and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to sit in  my lap. You'd love firing the 30mm gatling gun though. Most people do.

Archived