1988 season highlights

WarEagle1982

Couple of thoughts on the 1988 team.  It was my senior year at AU and this was my favorite team while a student.

1.  The defense was obviously unreal.  Maybe the best defense in school history.  It was surprising when a team got a first down.

2.  The LSU game is still the most painful loss in my AU lifetime.  We would have won the NC.  Notre Dame would have had to play us and they were a running team,  no chance they win.  FSU was better than ND by the time we played in the Sugar Bowl.  ND turn down the chance to play us even with our 1 loss.  

3.  LSU only crossed the 50 one time during the game, the last drive.  Like I said - still bitter.  

4. Neon Deion interfered with Freddy Weygand on the last drive and it was not called.  

5. Emmitt Smith was a sophomore at UF in 1988.  He chose UF over AU primarily because it bothered his mom that Dye let Brent Fullwood play despite not going to class all quarter.   Again AU beats LSU if Smith goes to AU.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Couple of thoughts on the 1988 team.  It was my senior year at AU and this was my favorite team while a student.

1.  The defense was obviously unreal.  Maybe the best defense in school history.  It was surprising when a team got a first down.

2.  The LSU game is still the most painful loss in my AU lifetime.  We would have won the NC.  Notre Dame would have had to play us and they were a running team,  no chance they win.  FSU was better than ND by the time we played in the Sugar Bowl.  ND turn down the chance to play us even with our 1 loss.  

3.  LSU only crossed the 50 one time during the game, the last drive.  Like I said - still bitter.  

4. Neon Deion interfered with Freddy Weygand on the last drive and it was not called.  

5. Emmitt Smith was a sophomore at UF in 1988.  He chose UF over AU primarily because it bothered his mom that Dye let Brent Fullwood play despite not going to class all quarter.   Again AU beats LSU if Smith goes to AU.  

Agree with all 5 points. That defense was so nasty

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Howard Roark said:

7.7 Points a game.  

Can’t get that link to work do not sure what it shows. I just remember how badly we beat people up. Tim Worley of UGA basically quit in the second half of that game because we punished him so badly….and he was a big dude- the hit that Smokey Hodge put on him on a short yardage play was just unbelievable 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Can’t get that link to work do not sure what it shows. I just remember how badly we beat people up. Tim Worley of UGA basically quit in the second half of that game because we punished him so badly and he was a big dude- the hit that Smokey Hodge put on him on a short yardage play was just unbelievable 

Here you go.  

• Thanks 2
  • Love 2

That LSU game is one of three AU sports outcomes that make me crazy to think about re: "what ifs"...but, no need to rehash.  This is a thread for positives.

I don't think I'd ever seen a RB stood straight up like that prior to Hodge, well, stopping Worley in his tracks.  That was the definition of standing up a back.  I think Quentin Riggins was claiming that Worley fumbled, and he may have been right...can't tell for absolute certain, though.

Another memorable moment from 1988 was Carlo Cheattom blowing up Reggie Cobb on a screen pass...the second of two from this YouTube link (courtesy of our very own StatTiger, I believe) is the hit on Cobb.  Hit, forced fumble, fumble recovery...the defensive trifecta.  I don't think Reggie had any clue where he was after that lick...spent most of the rest of the game with a towel over his head.

Edited by SLAG-91

6 hours ago, fredst said:

Agree with all 5 points. That defense was so nasty

Only gave up more than 10 points twice, and the most any team scored was 21 (North Carolina, and while I don't remember the particulars, I'd bet they got most of those points in the 4th after the outcome was well in hand).

Shut out Florida in Gainesville, and I am pretty sure that was the last time a Gator team had a goose egg hung on them.

3 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

That LSU game is one of three AU sports outcomes that make me crazy to think about re: "what ifs"...but, no need to rehash.  This is a thread for positives.

I don't think I'd ever seen a RB stood straight up like that prior to Hodge, well, stopping Worley in his tracks.  That was the definition of standing up a back.  I think Quentin Riggins was claiming that Worley fumbled, and he may have been right...can't tell for absolute certain, though.

Another memorable moment from 1988 was Carlo Cheattom blowing up Reggie Cobb on a screen pass...the second of two from this YouTube link (courtesy of our very own StatTiger, I believe) is the hit on Cobb.  Hit, forced fumble, fumble recovery...the defensive trifecta.  I don't think Reggie had any clue where he was after that lick...spent most of the rest of the game with a towel over his head.

The 1988 Tennessee game was my first AU game.  It was about 2 weeks after my 8th birthday.  My late grandfather, who was killed in a car accident a little over 2 years after that, took me.  I was definitely hooked for good after that!

4 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Shut out Florida in Gainesville, and I am pretty sure that was the last time a Gator team had a goose egg hung on them.

I was at that game. After the horror of 1986 it was a dominant thing of beauty. I could look it up but I am positive that we held them to 116 yards total offense (weird how I remember that but it seemed to match the 16-0 score so I do, lol)

There were two safeties you didn’t want to get hit by at that time, Carlos and Greg Staples. 

17 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

I honestly thought there was a chance he killed Cobb when he hit him.  Cobb did not move for a little bit after the hit.  Carlo could bring the wood.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CCTAU said:

There were two safeties you didn’t want to get hit by at that time, Carlos and Greg Staples. 

That is the truth.  If you watch the Sugar Bowl against FSU, their WRs definitely get the alligator arms as the game goes on.  

On 6/21/2021 at 9:55 AM, Howard Roark said:

Not to nit pick, but Deon interfered in the end zone, making it even more significant.   The ref was never going to throw that flag.  Deon came over the top and Freddy's helmet was pushed into his chest.  Freddy never had a chance  to see the ball into his arms/hands.  

Emmitt's mom was employed by a UF alum ( a lawyer ).   The Fulwood story was just chatter...Mom was making good money as a personal assistant to a power broker in Pensacola.   He was never going to Auburn, even though I think he was an Auburn lean.   He didn't want to play at UF because of the astroturf.  And you know what?   He never ran for 100 against Auburn.   Had he come to Auburn,  a lot of things would have been different at Auburn.  Bowden would have never been hired and a lot of other things would have fallen our way I believe.  

The LSU loss was, as you said, my most painful loss also.   The Van Tiffen kick was the second.   

You and I saw probably the finest era of Auburn football.  Remember when the UNC coach pulled his QB because he was worried about losing him before their season really even got started?  I think that was Mack Brown...

War Eagle and back at you!

class of '88

On 6/21/2021 at 9:55 AM, Howard Roark said:

Everyone seems to think that was Neon Deon on that play but it wasn't. The FSU player that came early and hit Weygand in the back of the helmet to push his head down was Dedrick Dodge.  On the next play after that, Neon Deon intercepted Slack in the end zone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Freddy+Weygand+Dedrick+Dodge

Edited by CleCoTiger

I was at the Sugar Bowl for that one. It was a hard thing to let go of. Fairly depressing until we got to Bourbon Street and it didn’t take long to block it out though.

Edited by toddc

8 hours ago, Howard Roark said:

I honestly thought there was a chance he killed Cobb when he hit him.  Cobb did not move for a little bit after the hit.  Carlo could bring the wood.  

Saw both of those hits at the games...today, he'd have been ejected.  

LSU...we took AMTRAC from Birmingham to New Orleans with a group of folks we went to school with.  I don't think the bar car was quite prepared for us.  Great trip down there.  Stayed in NO...took a bus up to Baton Rouge...again, a ton of fun.  4th down and 10...not enough pressure...to much time to throw.  The ride back to NO was pretty quiet.   That was a heck of a game...that is a piece of SEC history I wish I had missed.  

'88 LSU game. I was nine years old, visiting my grandparents in Leighton, AL. Had to go to the neighbors' house to get the game on television. 

Sat on the floor watching, entranced. Cried way too much at the end. 

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Everyone seems to think that was Neon Deon on that play but it wasn't. The FSU player that came early and hit Weygand in the back of the helmet to push his head down was Dedrick Dodge.  On the next play after that, Neon Deon intercepted Slack in the end zone.

Beat me to it. This is the one call that still makes me mad to this day. Dodge hit Freddy way early. The announcers even call them out on it. Should have been Auburn’s ball inside the 5. I guess I need to let it go after 32 years. 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WVR said:

Beat me to it. This is the one call that still makes me mad to this day. Dodge hit Freddy way early. The announcers even call them out on it. Should have been Auburn’s ball inside the 5. I guess I need to let it go after 32 years. 😁

If I’m not mistaken, the ball bounced off of Freddy’s helmet after his head was hit early.

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I stand corrected.