Russell Brand/Glenn Greenwald-Deep State

AUFAN78

I find Russell's channel fascinating. This particular topic I thought I'd share. I hope you enjoy.

Predicating a lot of the argument on the 'vast' numbers of non-voters is an odd choice since just several months ago we just had an election with 62% of voting age turnout, which was the highest turnout in a presidential election since 1960. While there are certainly a good # of people who believe that voting doesn't matter because they are all the same and nothing matters, like Russell is getting at, I also believe there is a similarly large portion of the non-voting public who just flat out doesn't care about politics and doesn't think about them one way or another....there's also likely some  overlap there where a lot of people don't think voting matters while at the same time never really studying the political landscape or learning what the issues are or what differing politicians believe.  

Also the whole, Biden hasn't undone every Trump policy he promised to within the first 6 months of his presidency = Repubs and Democrats exactly the same..no real difference, I don't buy that. Presidential politicking is very complex and Biden can't just swing a wand to immediately implement every policy preference he and the Democrats have. That doesn't mean Democrats are no different than Republicans...it means that governing is complex and the ruling party cant do everything on a whim....especially when the opposing party has promised to do everything to stop you from accomplishing anything so they can then use that against you in the next election. There are also going to be some broken promises and some walk back on some issues. Things change, new information emerges,  It happens. 

Ultimately, I think Brand is using a lot of words to explain pretty basic concepts.

Yeah, US politics is messed up in a lot of way and both parties are similarly messed up in some ways...that doesn't mean there aren't also significant social and political differences between the parties. 

Yes, the government is against a group of citizens getting together and deciding they are going to completely detach from the US government and do their own tax/governance thing. Would be a cool social experiment, but not really practical.  

"Deep state"...eh...yeah the government has to function between party changes and there are a lot of things that stay the same between presidents and ruling parties. Talking about the 'deepstate' just sound like mumbo jumbo to me. 

Russell Brand seems like the type of guy who'd try to sell you into a milti-level marketing pyramid scheme for Herbalife or something. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Predicating a lot of the argument on the 'vast' numbers of non-voters is an odd choice since just several months ago we just had an election with 62% of voting age turnout, which was the highest turnout in a presidential election since 1960.

Why? COVID rules?

Repubs and Democrats exactly the same..no real difference, I don't buy that.

Missed the social issue part?

That doesn't mean Democrats are no different than Republicans...it means that governing is complex and the ruling party cant do everything on a whim....especially when the opposing party has promised to do everything to stop you from accomplishing anything so they can then use that against you in the next election. There are also going to be some broken promises and some walk back on some issues. Things change, new information emerges,  It happens. 

To be clear, to both parties. Every time.

Yeah, US politics is messed up in a lot of way and both parties are similarly messed up in some ways...that doesn't mean there aren't also significant social and political differences between the parties. 

Agree. As previously noted, they mentioned as much.

Yes, the government is against a group of citizens getting together and deciding they are going to completely detach from the US government and do their own tax/governance thing. Would be a cool social experiment, but not really practical.  

Didn't he admit as much? I'll have to go back and look. Regardless, take it with a grain. He is after all stating his utopia which we all no doesn't exist.

Talking about the 'deepstate' just sound like mumbo jumbo to me. 

Noted

Russell Brand seems like the type of guy who'd try to sell you into a milti-level marketing pyramid scheme for Herbalife or something. 

Lighten up Francis. He hosts some very interesting guests with opinions. Just enjoy it. ;D