The 1st quarter

gr82b4au

It will be interesting to see how this game plays out, but the one thing that has been shown this season is that Georgia Jumps on their opponents quick. They score fast and often In the first quarter. This is not necessarily due to a quick strike offense, but because their defense causes so many problems and it puts the offense in a good position. On the other hand, Auburn has struggled very much in the first quarter. We have found ourselves down early In the last three games. I think we were down double digits after 1 in the last game. We seem to be a very good second-half team.

Yes I know finishing the game is important, but the first quarter of this game will tell us everything we need to know. 

• Like 1

My experience is to watch the line of scrimmage. If The Tigers are holding their own we have a chance. If we’re getting pushed around it could be a long day. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, creed said:

My experience is to watch the line of scrimmage. If The Tigers are holding their own we have a chance. If we’re getting pushed around it could be a long day. 

I always try to focus on the guards at the snap as they are the usually the first indicator of what type of play it is.

But to me honest, I have never really been able to diagnose issues - good or bad - with individual players until I see slo-mo film analysis.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

The defense can't come out flat and soft like they did vs LSU and PSU.  We can't play from 7-10pts down and expect a chance.

If we can and the 1st quarter 0-0 I'd call that a win

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU Starts slow on D and GA starts fast on O. We will all be complaining until mason makes adjustments. 

He won’t have time to make adjustments in this game. We must start strong. 

• Like 3

I'm not ready yet to ascribe any habits or tendencies to our coaching. We're still working from a mighty small sample size of new coaches installing new systems. It makes sense that it takes a minute for things to get cooking, from the beginning of each game and this season as a whole. Not that anybody is slamming the coaches or anything.

I do see our staff learning on the fly and making adjustments each week. For example, one of the main differences between losing to PSU and beating LSU was Mason making adjustments. No earthly idea why it never happened against PSU but the defense was filthy for the last 3 quarters against LSU. 

Maybe that's our MO this season. Maybe we really will start each game slow and take some time before we can assert what we want to do. But I'm not ready to say that's what we are yet. 

5 hours ago, creed said:

Well, one thing is for certain, the SEC officials will make sure UGA's o-line can hold their own, and hold ours, as well

• Haha 3

I feel people are being too hard on cdm personally. I'm ecstatic to see a coach that's actually good at coaching

• Like 5

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It will be interesting to see how this game plays out, but the one thing that has been shown this season is that Georgia Jumps on their opponents quick. They score fast and often In the first quarter. This is not necessarily due to a quick strike offense, but because their defense causes so many problems and it puts the offense in a good position. On the other hand, Auburn has struggled very much in the first quarter. We have found ourselves down early In the last three games. I think we were down double digits after 1 in the last game. We seem to be a very good second-half team.

Yes I know finishing the game is important, but the first quarter of this game will tell us everything we need to know. 

Against Arky, they basically jumped on them early and sat on it the rest of the game. Their D is good enough that it was pretty much over after the 1st quarter. I just dont want it to get out of hand at home.

4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

UGA will hang 30 on Auburn by halftime if the Tigers take the first half to get going. That just cannot become a habit. 

Not sure they will hang 30 on our D, but if our O looks bad, like it has most of the year against teams w a pulse, 14-0 will be enough for UGA to make this a complete embarrassment. Our O, does not have the line to really even compete with the GA front 7. It will take the game of this teams lives just to keep it within the spread of 14. With my opinion being offered, it doesn’t mean we won’t or can’t keep it close, but there will have to be most everything go right w 0 mistakes. I truly hope I’m wrong. WDE! 

• Like 1

Uga QB is easily rattled if you can get to him. Kind of like Penn State's QB.

I hope Mason doesnt come out with another head scratching plan he has to spend the next 3 quarters afjusting.

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It will be interesting to see how this game plays out, but the one thing that has been shown this season is that Georgia Jumps on their opponents quick. They score fast and often In the first quarter. This is not necessarily due to a quick strike offense, but because their defense causes so many problems and it puts the offense in a good position.

This has been Bama's thing for awhile now.  Usually it just wills the opponent into submission. If not (see UAT-Florida two weeks ago), the damage has largely been done, and there isn't much room for error from the opponent.  The camback and UAT-OSU 2014 are some of the rare times where the other team came back to win. 

As with any fan, I keep out the hope that we find a few ways to make big plays, because I will be shocked if we have more than one sustained TD drive against these guys. 

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I hope Mason doesnt come out with another head scratching plan he has to spend the next 3 quarters afjusting.

When did Penn st qb get easily rattled?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The defense can't come out flat and soft like they did vs LSU and PSU.  We can't play from 7-10pts down and expect a chance.

If we can and the 1st quarter 0-0 I'd call that a win

Hopefully in this scenario they also had the ball first. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Maybe so, but both have beaten us already. We need at minimum 2 interceptions, which won’t happen if we can’t stop the run to force the pass. Not sold on Mason yet. Not a fan of the 3 down lineman like he likes to use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Cool as a cucumber all night from what I recall. 

It's easy to stay cool when you can hold the ball in the pocket for a few minutes waiting for an open receiver.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's easy to stay cool when you can hold the ball in the pocket for a few minutes waiting for an open receiver.

He could have pulled up a chair and read the evening news. He had all the time in the world. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

When did Penn st qb get easily rattled?

That's been the story on him. We never really hit him or pressured him, so he never got rattled.

I'm not sure the poster was talking specifically about our game

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

Not sure they will hang 30 on our D, but if our O looks bad, like it has most of the year against teams w a pulse, 14-0 will be enough for UGA to make this a complete embarrassment. Our O, does not have the line to really even compete with the GA front 7. It will take the game of this teams lives just to keep it within the spread of 14. With my opinion being offered, it doesn’t mean we won’t or can’t keep it close, but there will have to be most everything go right w 0 mistakes. I truly hope I’m wrong. WDE! 

Our D has not performed all that well...especially during the first half. Auburn has started out disorganized and confused on both sides of the ball for 2 quarters in every game except maybe Akron because...Akron.. 5 games in and things have not improved. UGA will come out of the gate motivated and ready to curb stomp Auburn and they won't take 2 quarters off to figure out anything. 

Most important, be ready to play from the first tick of the clock and give 110% on every play. Keep the game close in the first quarter then settle into the game and let the Dawgs know they have a fight on their hands. Fans can make a huge difference too.

Edited by IronMan70