Take away his cleats

aubiefifty

during the game Aaron Murray and RIck Newheisel had this to say about bo in the georgia auburn broadcast. i copied the what was said by another poster and here it is....

"Newease l{another cat said murray said it }says everything Bo does is like a half a step or cadence faster than everyone around him. He suggested that he would take his cleats away during practice to slow him down. Make him practice in regular shoes. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me."

this got my attention but it is way above my pay grade. does this sound legit or is it hot air?

Edited by aubiefifty

• aubiefifty changed the title to question for you football experts as far as coaching goes............

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am in....waiting to here from our residential expert here. 

No resident expert but this sounds silly to me. Don’t see how cleats changes his timing. I do agree his timing was too quick though. Believe he gets amped up and doesn’t contain his energy.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

during the game Aaron Murray and RIck Newheisel had this to say about bo in the georgia auburn broadcast. i copied the what was said by another poster and here it is....

"Newease l{another cat said murray said it }says everything Bo does is like a half a step or cadence faster than everyone around him. He suggested that he would take his cleats away during practice to slow him down. Make him practice in regular shoes. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me."

this got my attention but it is way above my pay grade. does this sound legit or is it hot air?

I’m no expert but I can remember my high school coaches doing this with our “faster” guys.  It was told to us that it would give the rest of the team/play time to develop before the fast guys could get ahead of themselves.   It also would force the fast guys to actually use good mechanics and not rely on spikes to grip the playing surface.  It seemed to work but I don’t know what it would do for D1 athletes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm the only resident expert here don't believe me just ask bird....its a great big dumbass idea

I believe you, and Bird...but I also believe there is a man out there that fancies himself an expert....hell...maybe even a legend in his own mind. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Haha 3

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Believe he gets amped up and doesn’t contain his energy.

I am fully convinced this is his main issue. I caught early in the Georgia game. While waiting on the team to line up his left arm was shaking rapidly. It looked like a sign of very anxious guy. It’s like when you see someone going for a job interview and they are so nervous they are heavily tapping their feet and their hands nonstop. You already know their going to foul up the interview unless they calm down. 
I believe this to be the case with Bo. He gets so amped up and nervous that he forces everything to happen immediately or he panics. The #1 key to Alabama’s successful QB play of late is having guys that keep the same calm temperament through all circumstances. You’ll never see the great QBs get out of control for more than a play at a time. They always come back to calm and in control. Bo loses control. It’s a mindset issue.  Until he changes that mindset any improvement will be minimal. 

This also explains why he practices so much more consistently than he plays. No pressure. It shows he has the talent needed to play the position physically, but is struggling with mental control. Can be fixed maybe, but it hasn’t yet so whether he does or not is yet to be seen and he’s running out of time quickly.  

Edited by MustardSeed

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

This reminds me of a story about another Bo. He was faster than everyone else too. Randy Campbell suggested that Bo needed to move a step back because he must be aligning too close to the line of scrimmage and he thought it was causing problems with the handoff exchange. The story is that Dye told Randy that Bo was a hoss and he was aligned properly. He also told him that he needed to speed up to get the ball to Bo faster. 

I know it's not the same issue per se but Nix and his receivers should have been working on timing every chance they got in preseason. I don't see how practicing on one type of shoe and playing in another will help but I'm not the expert that the OP asked for. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Maybe I’m old school but sometimes the maturation pattern is slower for different guys.  I think Bo has all the physical tools to be a great Qb but as we saw with the Worm int, if he had slowed down and even looked at JSS it was a sure big gain or maybe TD.  I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet.  

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Bo Nix has had his dad coach him his whole life. He has been to some of the premier camps including working with Jordan Palmer. He has had three different OCs and QB coaches. At this point, people need to conclude he just doesn't have it. This does not mean he won't be a quality player who can earn his degree, but I am pretty sure guys more credible than Rick has did everything possible to help him with his issues.

Yes, whatever "It" is, it's just not there. Our OL play contributes to ruining QBs though. That has to change. We need to keep DD on the bench bcause of it imo. No need to ruin another frosh QB.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

The only thing "no cleats" gets you is stomped on feet 😂

On the worm INT I am not sure how the play is designed. It seemed that if worm is open then it would go to him based on down and distance.  So if that is true than the only way to see Shenker would be to go through his progression. In order to know if it was a miss or not Coach would have to clarify. Now the double move was clearly a miss

• Like 1

They interviewed Aaron Murray on Cole Cubelic and Greg McElroy's morning show. McElroy said that Harsin had told them a few weeks ago that Bo was moving faster than the receivers and that is not good. They also talked about the practicing in socks/tennis shoes concept too on the show, so I trust them on that.

I can try and find the podcast of the show if anyone is interested in hearing the interview. It seemed like good stuff to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ad9182 said:

They interviewed Aaron Murray on Cole Cubelic and Greg McElroy's morning show. McElroy said that Harsin had told them a few weeks ago that Bo was moving faster than the receivers and that is not good. They also talked about the practicing in socks/tennis shoes concept too on the show, so I trust them on that.

I can try and find the podcast of the show if anyone is interested in hearing the interview. It seemed like good stuff to me.

@tomcat got you

Edited by McLoofus
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, e808 said:

On the worm INT I am not sure how the play is designed. It seemed that if worm is open then it would go to him based on down and distance.  So if that is true than the only way to see Shenker would be to go through his progression. In order to know if it was a miss or not Coach would have to clarify. Now the double move was clearly a miss

THis is where I am.

On the INT, if Bo is given the play(on a short yardage situation), to throw it in the flat to SS as his first read, then that is what Bo did, based on situation, and also seeing that the overload is more to the right, making the pass in the left flat a good play. 

Bo, if he is looking at the D, he sees a defender over the TE, and would probably assume SHenker is covered, and there is no reason for Bo to know that they were going to blitz that guy over SHenker. 

And I agree on the double move, the pocket was good, but sometimes a good pocket is not enough for Bo, if he requires him to sit back in the pocket for a longer developing play.  He should have never left the pocket.

This is what announcers and some ex QBs have said about Bo still learning the nuisances of thinking like a QB, and his motor is going to fast, and he seems always in a rush to execute a play. 

Now he is better, and I see him at times making a touch throw, like he did on a nice pass over the top to Newton, even though I am sure that was not the called play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Take away his cleats

2 things- 

1) Bo needs a sports psychologist. He's a fast reacting guy in a slow acting offense and is in his head WAY too much. This is a mental thing, not physical. He's always 2-3 steps ahead of the play. I can relate as I was the same way. If he'll control his breathing and thought process it'll change his game for the better.

2) the screen pass int SHOULD have been a hot read by Bo. The guys in the booth said as much- when D blitzes as many as they did, you have to recognize that and know that someone is open on the blitz side. Bo didn't catch it in time to react OR he did his thing and went for the first read too quickly. If he pumps to Shivers and hits 47, it's paydirt.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm the only resident expert here don't believe me just ask bird....its a great big dumbass idea

If possibly Bo is out of sync with the receivers…how would one coach him to slow down? 

Bo could use a sedative before games. At least give it a try. There. I said it. @aubiefifty need not suggest or elaborate on any other medicinal therapies. Yeah, to me, it looks like (one of) Bo's frequent behaviors resembles a fight-or-flight adrenaline response. Motor revs and decisions are fast and less-than-rational. I don't know why. Maybe Patrick hit him on the nose too many times with the rolled-up newspaper. Maybe he got kneed in the nads real bad by a pass rush at puberty. Just a simplistic theory to rationalize conflicting data. Practice is (presumably? reportedly?) great. Game day is not as great. Clearly wants to win. Abandons pocket and/or forgets about developing routes before microseconds have ticked off the clock. This doesn't explain dropped, catchable passes. It is actually might be contrary to the lack of distance and lower frequency of overthrows lately. There are moments when everyone synchronizes for a moment. But, dang, he stands out as more over-responsive than the rest of the offense looks under-responsive. I am no 'ologist of any sort. I am not advocating for anyone to put a tranquilizer dart in Bo's buttocks on his first snap next game (you know who I'm talking to. Just DON'T!). Maybe turkey and cabernet. Maybe tune his AirPods to the all-Enya channel. IF it's an over-rev issue, I'm a little concerned that after over 9 weeks of practices, scrimmages, and (contrasting) games just this season, the new folks with, er, 'top fuel expertise' have not been more effective at synchronizing Bo to the rest of the offensive motor. But I have no idea what goes on inside the program, much less Bo's head. Again, many aspects of this team and staff are imperfect. Most parts are capable of tremendous progress and accomplishment within this season. I am just observing, theorizing, rationalizing, and joking (not really). Valium. Maybe.

• Like 1

I suspect Bo gets too hyped up and full of adrenaline during games.  The guy lives for football.  He eats and drinks football.   When the lights are on , he is ecstatic!!     The "too fast Bo" probably doesn't show up in practice,  but when it is time to play,  he gets that rush of adrenaline as long as the game is on.   I suspected that with is overthrows earlier in the year.  I could be the rush causes him to throw the ball about 3 feet further than he does all week at practice.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Bo didn't catch it in time to react OR he did his thing and went for the first read too quickly. If he pumps to Shivers and hits 47, it's paydirt.

Unless 47 drops the TD pass just like he dropped the previous one.

All this ya-ya and yet, Bo Nix had the highest grade of any player with over five snaps. (80.3), which was also Hunter's grade. The top defensive player was Z. Puckett with 73.5.

I saw more dropped passes by AU receivers than I did in all the rest of the games I watched combined. This team needs to step it up, but the pass catchers are the lowest performers and they need to step up a lot more than other positions, including the QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed

By all accounts Jeremy Johnson was a great qb in practice. He never could get it together in a game. Pressure changes abilities. 
Unfortunately I think the receivers room has had a lot of pressure lately. I hope Harsin finds the magic formula to get them playing hard and focused but not nervous or trying too hard. The same goes for Bo. He needs to get a little more touch on those balls to help a struggling receiving core get on track, and clearly needs to calm down a lot himself. It may just be who he is, but we have to hope he can calm it down as it seems Finley isn’t trusted to be a real option as of yet and we don’t want to ruin DD this early behind a suspect o-line. 
Our problems are all between the ears I believe.  Harsin has to find a way to correct that. Fix that one issue and we are a very good team. Of course that one issue stems from many others like uncertainty and lack of confidence but those come with time. Next year could be ALOT better when this offense really begins to “click” in these guys heads where they can just go play and get out of their own heads. 

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe I’m old school but sometimes the maturation pattern is slower for different guys.  I think Bo has all the physical tools to be a great Qb but as we saw with the Worm int, if he had slowed down and even looked at JSS it was a sure big gain or maybe TD.  I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet.  

I'm not throwing in the towel on Bo as our starter. I have to trust the coaches. If he's the best we have, then he's the best we have. But throwing in the towel on Bo as being a "great" QB? Heck, that towel was thrown in, sent out, laundered, all grass stains removed and has come back looking brand new, all so I can throw it in again.

(Bo is serviceable. He's pretty good, but not great. He isn't going to lose many games on his own but he isn't going to put the team on his shoulders and win us many on his own anyway. His Johnny Football impression against LSWho? Well...LSWho is not a very good team. And the follow-up performance against UGA shows that impression often will not play well against teams that actually are good.)

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

I'm not throwing in the towel on Bo as our starter. I have to trust the coaches. If he's the best we have, then he's the best we have. But throwing in the towel on Bo as being a "great" QB? Heck, that towel was thrown in, sent out, laundered, all grass stains removed and has come back looking brand new, all so I can throw it in again.

(Bo is serviceable. He's pretty good, but not great. He isn't going to lose many games on his own but he isn't going to put the team on his shoulders and win us many on his own anyway. His Johnny Football impression against LSWho? Well...LSWho is not a very good team. And the follow-up performance against UGA shows that impression often will not play well against teams that actually are good.)

I just think about Jason Campbell because he was the Qb when I was in school.  He comes out in 2002 and looks good under Petrino.  2003 you get all this hype and he looks very average.  2004 he comes out and looks AUmazing.  Situations are obviously different but also very similar.  Both had to deal with a different OC 3 straight years.  I almost wonder if Bo went to a different school with a competent coach and a good Oline instead of Auburn and Gus if we’d think of him the same way.  Bo will be out Qb for another season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come out in 2022 and finally look like most expected. That being said Harsin will have to bring in some big time OL transfers and recruits to help him out.

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I just think about Jason Campbell because he was the Qb when I was in school.  He comes out in 2002 and looks good under Petrino.  2003 you get all this hype and he looks very average.  2004 he comes out and looks AUmazing.  Situations are obviously different but also very similar.  Both had to deal with a different OC 3 straight years.  I almost wonder if Bo went to a different school with a competent coach and a good Oline instead of Auburn and Gus if we’d think of him the same way.  

I hear ya...but I don't see much more than superficial similarity. The problem wasn't Gus or Morris and it isn't Harsin or Bobo. The issue is that Bo, coached by his dad (a former AU star QB, former college offensive coordinator and his high school coach) plus everyone else STILL plays exactly the way he did in high school.

Jason Campbell showed flashes of greatness from the beginning, and when Borges came aboard and put Cadillac and Ronnie Brown on the field at the same time behind him, he showed what he could really do. I haven't see any real flashes out of Bo, especially against what turned out to be really good competition.

I just think Bo was a great HS QB, and like a lot of great HS QB's, his game doesn't necessarily translate to this level. And more and more the rumour that "Bo doesn't really take coaching very well" seems more and more true to me. Is it? Dunno.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Opinions vary. You could be very right and I could be very wrong. But three seasons in, I just accept Bo for what he is and I'm no longer looking for him to be anything other than that. Give him a great OL and backs that can pound the rock and he can no doubt be very, very good. A lot of QBs in the situation could. But with what we have? I just dunno...

• Like 1