The current legacy of Bo Nix

StatTiger

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. That's not true.

Show me all the threads that singled out an OL or WR by name in the title.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. That's not true.

I didn't even think the o line played that bad. Once again not outstanding but before we were in obvious passing mode I felt like he had time. We didn't here about their star d line guy. There's pictures of beautiful pockets. 

Now when we got down you could see when EVERYBODY gave up. But maybe I'm wrong. I just didn't expect to average 5 yards a pop. But a high 3 when the d doesn't respect your deep ball against the best d in the nation? I just wish we would've had at least one explosive run but after that isn't that what we expected?

• Like 2

Just now, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

You missed the 2013 season, then.

No I watched a guy that year make plenty of deep throws, stay cool and lead the team. I can off my head tell you to look at td passes against Texas a&m and Missouri in the championship and tell me who could throw it better. But he was a db...  so he couldn't throw. 

• Like 1

Not gonna bother reading through this whole thread but I'm not sure how Nix is any different than any other HS QB we've recruited in the last 15 years. I have no earthly explanation for why this keeps happening.

Edited by AUwent

6 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Show me all the threads that singled out an OL or WR by name in the title.

You're backtracking off your prior exaggeration, which I applaud.

5 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

You missed the 2013 season, then.

Nick had an elite deep ball.

You can get away with being slightly inaccurate when you can push the ball downfield 

Great stuff as usual Stat! Most of the ones arguing with you are the same ones that ask for stats to back up any assertion someone makes that they disagree about. When it comes to Bo Nix there’s so much animosity that you can’t even overcome it with facts. Keep letting your work speak for itself and forget trying to convince some who are unconvinsible.(is that a word?) @StatTiger

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

and Drops

That thread turned into mostly bickering about Bo being the reason for the drops by "throwing too hard". 

BTW-I am not defending Bo. I think he is what he is, but to act like Stat doesn't have a point about Bo getting 3 times as much blame isn't too far fectched based on the way some of the threads turn. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I don't think he played well against uga. I don't think he's the reason we lost or anything either. And I'm concerned with his downfield passing as I think that's just as much as a problem as the o line themselves. I don't see any way possible being a successful team trying to hide that. 

I agree that he’s not the reason we lost to uga. I think he played pretty well though. Of course he wasn't perfect and there's timing issues between him and the WRs as outlined during the broadcast. His feet and reads are too fast at times and at times his WRs aren't head around or separated when he needs to release. Then you have the drops. It's a combo of issues.

I'll agree with you that his deep accuracy isn't great, BUT the coaches aren't trying to hide anything there. On the contrary, they're attacking it head on. See below:

Among the most common seen concepts against uga were all verts, sail which is a 3 levels concepts, and switches which is another deep ball concept. As you see, all verts and switches were the most successful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I've said elsewhere and to piggyback off my last comment, IMO we need to revisit our staple run plays. We're not getting very much production off of Inside Zone and it's perplexing since so much of Gus's offense was based on IZ, you'd think we'd be good at it with the amount of reps this OL has with it. It's a great base concept bc of all the RPO things that can be used from the IZ look, BUT again we're not producing with it. 

Edited by ValleyTiger

26 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That thread turned into mostly bickering about Bo being the reason for the drops by "throwing too hard". 

BTW-I am not defending Bo. I think he is what he is, but to act like Stat doesn't have a point about Bo getting 3 times as much blame isn't too far fectched based on the way some of the threads turn. 

Those were exaggerated as well. Many people tried to differentiate and say the wr's let us down but then point out two throws. And one of those were the too hard convo but people made that to be all of Bo throws

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I didn't even think the o line played that bad. Once again not outstanding but before we were in obvious passing mode I felt like he had time. We didn't here about their star d line guy. There's pictures of beautiful pockets. 

Now when we got down you could see when EVERYBODY gave up. But maybe I'm wrong. I just didn't expect to average 5 yards a pop. But a high 3 when the d doesn't respect your deep ball against the best d in the nation? I just wish we would've had at least one explosive run but after that isn't that what we expected?

I didn't re-watch the game, but from what I recall uga played more zone and contain type rushes than I anticipated from Kirby until they got a comfortable lead. 

21 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I agree that he’s not the reason we lost to uga. I think he played pretty well though. Of course he wasn't perfect and there's timing issues between him and the WRs as outlined during the broadcast. His feet and reads are too fast at times and at times his WRs aren't head around or separated when he needs to release. Then you have the drops. It's a combo of issues.

I'll agree with you that his deep accuracy isn't great, BUT the coaches aren't trying to hide anything there. On the contrary, they're attacking it head on. See below:

Among the most common seen concepts against uga were all verts, sail which is a 3 levels concepts, and switches which is another deep ball concept. As you see, all verts and switches were the most successful. 

I'll have to watch the game personally again because I don't remember any down down field passes certainly not 5 completed. You have to remember tjcame in and played as well and I just remember one from him

The constant blaming of the support cast is getting old. Yes, the receivers suck. Yes, the o-line is not great, but they have been better than people realize. Bo has a lot of faults, but the lack of ability to stretch the field is what it comes down to. If Bo could fix that, I really believe we could win big with him. How you can be a 5 star QB and not be able to throw a deep ball means he was mis-evaluated big time. Nothing against him personally, but until either he or another QB does that, this offense will never thrive imo

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'll have to watch the game personally again because I don't remember any down down field passes certainly not 5 completed. You have to remember tjcame in and played as well and I just remember one from him

Here you go. 

I don't know what TJ's was. 

Also, look at that pressure rate. Yeesh

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Parting words...

* Thanks for the interest in the thread.

* I respect all opinions.

As for Bo Nix. No doubt he has his own issues to correct but no more than other individuals on the offense. I realize he will be faulted as an individual more than any other individual on offense because of his position.

I came on this board today just to shed some light on some of the surrounding struggles on offense. I posted data to support my opinion. I would think that it would be common sense that any quarterback or coach would like to have a consistent running game.

No, Nix is not good enough to carry the offense by himself. Never was and likely never will be. This doesn't mean he cannot be successful. Again, his performance on the field has been at its best with a supporting running game.

As for his ceiling, I won't pretend to know because of past experiences with other QB's that were written off by Auburn fans, only to close out their careers in strong fashion. (Stan White, Reggie Slack, Ben Leard, Jason Campbell and Chris Todd).

I do fear that he will never have the supporting cast I would like to see, just to see what his personal ceiling might be.

As always... hope the season ends well and ... War Eagle!

Thanks Stat. Unlike the guys that turn every thread into a shyte show, I appreciate the info. Hope you stick around for those of us that love numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Unlike the guys that turn every thread into a shyte show

You mean the folks who haven't offered any football opinions in the thread whatsoever, but have instead only complained about those who have? Tell me about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

You mean the folks who haven't offered any football opinions in the thread whatsoever, but have instead only complained about those who have? Tell me about it.

I offer mine after trying to analyze what I see, after the emotion is gone. I hate everything that doesn't work and every coach that called it while I watch it. A phone call during the next week to my son, my brother, and my cousin, who all played at a much higher level than me (none at D1, full disclosure) normally explains things. It almost always comes down to,can you impose your will when it counts? Georgia came out in the 2nd half and did whatever they wanted to. On both sides of the ball. 

Pretty sure that teams that play from behind tend to pass more. So it’s not really surprising in games where they had to pass more than 25 times it was because they were behind thussetting up a pretty good reason why they tend to lose more. Results are usually dictated by previous actions. 🤔

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Here you go. 

I don't know what TJ's was. 

Also, look at that pressure rate. Yeesh

Yeah you gave interest to watch again because like I said I remember maybe one. I'll tell you what I see. It's interesting he only gives 6 drops. I saw someone else give 8 just from shivers and Robertson alone

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We need a don't think for yourself and accept whatever is posted first section. Then I think everybody could be happy.

It's funny though just about all the people that complain about not agreeing has disagreed with me before. I guess it was ok to do then.....

Or just highlight the people names that you can't offer an opinion to. That might work as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Yeah you gave interest to watch again because like I said I remember maybe one. I'll tell you what I see. It's interesting he only gives 6 drops. I saw someone else give 8 just from shivers and Robertson alone

PFF had 7 drops, but yeah I've heard some people count as high as 14. That's too high. PFF has 23 drops for the year FWIW. 

That's simply unacceptable.

19 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Pretty sure that teams that play from behind tend to pass more. So it’s not really surprising in games where they had to pass more than 25 times it was because they were behind thussetting up a pretty good reason why they tend to lose more. Results are usually dictated by previous actions. 🤔

Yup. And one way to fall behind is when the other team hits some big plays through the air and you don't, which is exactly what happened Saturday. 

Which is what my initial response in this thread was. I didn't even say Bo's name. Yet, *emotions*.