The current legacy of Bo Nix

StatTiger

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yes you posted stats but stats can be very manipulative as well too. 

Okay... show me data, where five college QB's had sustained individual success as well as a good win percentage, without the support of a running game and against quality competition. Feel free to manipulate the numbers...

It should not be difficult for you since you think I have somehow manipulated the numbers. Why is it that nearly every defensive coach will place, "stop the run" at the top of their list, before just about every game?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Auburn can’t run the ball with Bo Nix because he can’t stretch the field with any consistently.  In games that Bo Nix starts Auburn averages less rushing yards.  Teams load the box against Bo Nix lead offenses because they do not fear his arm or decision making resulting in poor rushing stats.

Really? That is the only reason why Auburn cannot run the ball consistently? Just for the sake of argument I will agree but, NO team in the SEC has sustained success throwing the football without a running game. What is their excuse?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Okay... show me data, where five college QB's had sustained individual success as well as a good win percentage, without the support of a running game and against quality competition. Feel free to manipulate the numbers...

It should not be difficult for you since you think I have somehow manipulated the numbers. Why is it that nearly every defensive coach will place, "stop the run" at the top of their list, before just about every game?

I didn’t say you manipulated the number . You are using stats to push a narrative . It’s definitely harder to produce success without a running game. THE WHOLE POINT IS BO NIX WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A 5 STAR DUAL THREAT QB.  His skill set was suppose to offset the limitations of his peers. Lamar Jackson at Louisville is a product of that. If Lamar Jackson didn’t develop the way he did at Louisville, they wouldn’t have had nearly the same success. So basically his legacy he didn’t live up to his expectations as a recruit. People want to call him Johnny football?! Johnny football was the running game for Texas A&M. 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s just so weird, because I’ve never seen any of this from our previous QBs dating back to 2013. I remember NM was so under appreciated. In fact his last year quite a few fans were ready for him to go to see JJ. The same thing occurred with SW and JS. Very highly critique but Bo Nix also has endearment because he was not a transfer. The fact is he has a Disney story and he is an Auburn guy due to his family so many more people are willing to give him that around here. That’s the honest truth. 

Loved me some Nick Marshall. It was terrific that Auburn was able to rush for over 150 yards in 25 of the 27 games he was at Auburn. He did not need to play QB in the NFL to appreciate what he accomplished at Auburn.

10 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Really? That is the only reason why Auburn cannot run the ball consistently? Just for the sake of argument I will agree but, NO team in the SEC has sustained success throwing the football without a running game. What is their excuse?

What is the point where a running game is successful?

Nick Marshall was a big reason why the running game was as successful as it was too.

Edited by cole256

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I didn’t say you manipulated the number . You are using stats to push a narrative . It’s definitely harder to produce success without a running game. THE WHOLE POINT IS BO NIX WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A 5 STAR DUAL THREAT QB.  His skill set was suppose to offset the limitations of his peers. Lamar Jackson at Louisville is a product of that. If Lamar Jackson didn’t develop the way he did at Louisville, they wouldn’t have had nearly the same success. So basically his legacy he didn’t live up to his expectations as a recruit. People want to call him Johnny football?! Johnny football was the running game for Texas A&M. 

My narrative is this.... NO QB in the SEC has experienced sustained success without a decent running game. Since Nix plays in the SEC that would include him and EVERY Auburn QB.

Just now, StatTiger said:

My narrative is this.... NO QB in the SEC has experienced sustained success without a decent running game. Since Nix plays in the SEC that would include him and EVERY Auburn QB.

And nix is just as much the reason for that is what everyone else is saying. 

• Like 2

So having a successful qb can be the reason for a decent running game as well?  I think having a quality qb opens up everything offensively.

I'd like a number as far as running game where it can be evaluated. Right now without that a comparison can't be formed. I don't even know how far off we are from being a strong running team.

I've never felt like we just can't run because of o line. It seemed as soon as a team played us where they would sell out or at least crowd the box that's when it became more difficult to run. 

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And nix is just as much the reason for that is what everyone else is saying. 

Yes... 

The OL is part of the problem

The drops are part of the problem

Running the wrong routes is part of the problem

Coaching is a part of the problem

Nix is part of the problem.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

@StatTiger I don't know why you bother presenting such detailed information for these people.

I love stats and trends, this is good stuff 

Come on bro. Everybody is being respectful. People are just asking questions and adding ideas that may not have been thought about. 

It's not a bad thing, this is how breakthroughs are reached imo. 

I have used the comparison with Stan White with folks before. Stan showed flashes early, looked terrible at times, but put it all together his senior year with the right team and system around him. Really hoping that Bo follows that same path. He can be frustrating to watch at times but I am really pulling for him to succeed, both for his and AUs sake

Edited by fredst
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

So having a successful qb can be the reason for a decent running game as well?  I think having a quality qb opens up everything offensively.

Sure it can but it doesn't change the fact that teams in the SEC have a 15 percent winning percentage with 26 pass attempts or more, under 140 yards rushing and at least 21 points allowed. Alabama has the most success with a 9-24 record from 2000-2020 and is 4-1 from 2016-2020 and Georgia is 3-6. Alabama is the only team with a winning record in the SEC from 2016-2020.

10 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

@StatTiger I don't know why you bother presenting such detailed information for these people.

I love stats and trends, this is good stuff 

Thank you. Just tried to provide some perspective supported by more than an opinion. Heck... Bo Nix would not make my top-5 list of Auburn QB's but I see a lot of issues on offense outside the QB position.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I have used the comparison with Stan White with folks before. Stan showed flashes early, looked terrible at times, but put it all together his senior year with the right team and system around him. Really hoping that Bo follows that same path. He can be frustrating to watch at times but I am really pulling pulling for him to succeed, both for his and AUs sake

Same with Campbell.  That guy was almost run out of town.   Lost his starting job and by his senior year had the best season besides one Cameron Newton that I’ve ever seen.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

I have used the comparison with Stan White with folks before. Stan showed flashes early, looked terrible at times, but put it all together his senior year with the right team and system around him. Really hoping that Bo follows that same path. He can be frustrating to watch at times but I am really pulling pulling for him to succeed, both for his and AUs sake

It is a great comparison because they both started as freshman. I fear that Nix won't have the luxury of having the same supporting cast as White during 1993 and certainly not the schedule faced that year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Same with Campbell.  That guy was almost run out of town.   Lost his starting job and by his senior year had the best season besides one Cameron Newton that I’ve ever seen.  

Bingo

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Revolving door of OCs doesn’t help either

1 minute ago, StatTiger said:

Sure it can but it doesn't change the fact that teams in the SEC have a 15 percent winning percentage with 26 pass attempts or more, under 140 yards rushing and at least 21 points allowed. Alabama has the most success with a 9-24 record from 2000-2020 and is 4-1 from 2016-2020 and Georgia is 3-6. Alabama is the only team with a winning record in the SEC from 2016-2020.

Correct.  I think it is also safe to assume if you have given up 21 points in the SEC you are playing from behind and those numbers then get skewed.  Playing from behind results in unbalanced offensive play calling most of the time favoring passing attempts.

• Like 2

Thank you. Just tried to provide some perspective supported by more than an opinion. Heck... Bo Nix would not make my top-5 list of Auburn QB's but I see a lot of issues on offense outside the QB position.

I appreciate the numbers perspective.  If anyone doubts the numbers, you should show them Campbell’s numbers from freshman to junior years.   If any defense was scared of his throwing prior to that backfield and line their senior year, those people are crazy.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

i was not paying attention to White's career at the time but were his issues as fundamental as Nix's? i.e., take away system, take away surrounding talent, was White doing the things he was supposed to do to be a good QB?

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'd like a number as far as running game where it can be evaluated. Right now without that a comparison can't be formed. I don't even know how far off we are from being a strong running team.

I've never felt like we just can't run because of o line. It seemed as soon as a team played us where they would sell out or at least crowd the box that's when it became more difficult to run. 

Regardless of talent or coaching, the 2021 is struggling more than not, blocking 6 men in the box.

28 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

In games that Bo Nix starts Auburn averages less rushing yards.

I just don't know.....in 2019 we were 4th in the SEC with 199 yds/gm, in 2020 6th in the SEC with 172 yds/gm (before the bowl games), so far in 2021 we are 6th in the SEC with 206 yds/gm which includes 182 vs PSU, 163 vs LSU, and only 46 against uga - the better defenses we've faced.

The narrative that we cannot run bc of Bo is faulty. There's a number of reasons why, actually.

• Like 2