Current Talent Level

Guest MustardSeed

Guest MustardSeed

So I just went through and counted our signees over the last 5 years and who’s still here of those classes that are 4 star or higher (per 247). This doesn’t include transfers so if someone wants to add those feel free. I think what most will see here is that we have some talent, but most of it is young and already on their second staff in their second year. We should absolutely expect a lot of growing pains THIS YEAR. Next year we should have a lot more maturity. 
Remaining 4/5 star signees

2017 - 4

2018 - 3

2019 - 6

2020 - 14

2021 - 6

It should be quite apparent why we lack leaders at many positions. Only 9 original 4/5 star signees are in their 3rd or 4th year and 4 in their 5th.  We are competing with teams that are replacing 5 stars with 5 stars.  We currently have (2) 5 star original signees on the team total, Nix and Pappoe (plus Demetris Robertson in his first year here, not sure of the other transfers)  Throw in a coaching and philosophy change and now you can see why we are where we are.  

We do have some decent talent but it’s not top level SEC numbers-wise. However, when our 20 sophomores rated 4 star mature (next year should be a big step up for them) we could see very solid improvements all around.  Harsin certainly deserves some time to get better overall talent in.  The transfer portal has left us pretty bare 

Yes, it's going to take some time and people need to understand that. We lost some talent in the portal but we also gained some decent talent there too. In fact, that was one of the first things that impressed me about CBH. Instead of complaining about lack of talent when he first got here like some might do, he aggressively went about the business of replacing that talent using the portal. We need more of them, as well as a class or 2, but I think he knows how to get us there.

• Like 3

The problem remains that the position that Auburn lacks the most will have to rebuild in 2022.  It’s possible 3/5 of Auburn’s 2022 Oline don’t go to Auburn right now.  Maybe that’s a good thing.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, woodford said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

We lack talent in certain areas (WR and OL to an extent) but we’re not Mississippi State or Georgia Tech level. 

We have talent at the WR position, they are just playing poorly.  Very young group overall, another year under the same staff and scheme should (hopefully) fix some of their current issues.

We need new blood at the OL, transfers or incoming players, will have to step-up.

it’s frustrating to watch this year but we have to be patient. Harsin seems to be moving us in the right direction.

Edited by BornAU76
  • Like 3

Auburn has only had spots of elite talent since the 2017 season when Davidson and Brown graduated. While the class rankings stayed respectable we really fell behind on both LOS. OL recruiting has been a travesty for 5 years and DL recruiting while looking good has not actually panned out for the most part. Pretty much the entire class where we loaded up on DL from Mississippi is gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

We lack talent in certain areas (WR and OL to an extent) but we’re not Mississippi State or Georgia Tech level. 

Nor do we aspire to be! Unfortunately we're not GA or AL either, which is where we aspire to be!

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, woodford said:

Yes we have some talent, but as I illustrated above, a lot of it is young talent whereas other teams likely have higher levels of 4/5 star juniors and seniors, and even if they don’t most have systems that have been in place for more than 9 months.  When you go through our previous signees it is mind boggling how many have transferred. The best teams have talent top to bottom and they stick around til they graduate or go pro. That hasn’t been the case here. We bring in young talent that transfers and then even when we have junior and senior talent they are too often transfers still learning a system. 

Hopefully we can develop half of them to be regular contributors next season.  A full year in the program along with changing your lifestyle, habits and understanding of expectations can do wonders at that age.

• Like 2

The previous coach had solid overall class rankings, the problem is where those * came from on a position group basis.

For example: Everyone, other than the curmudgeon I won't mention by name, saw the OL problem coming a mile away.

This is not a 1 year fix unless the current staff happens to find some mean OL studs in the transfer portal

Edited by selias

14 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes, it's going to take some time and people need to understand that. We lost some talent in the portal but we also gained some decent talent there too. In fact, that was one of the first things that impressed me about CBH. Instead of complaining about lack of talent when he first got here like some might do, he aggressively went about the business of replacing that talent using the portal. We need more of them, as well as a class or 2, but I think he knows how to get us there.

Could you imagine the DL/Depth without Fair, Harris, and Leota? 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, God Cam It said:

Hopefully at everyone who can come back at least besides Pappoe does (not counting seniors who could technically stay because of covid).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, God Cam It said:

Forgot Burks is a SR also. Next year's DL depth is scary bad. Going to need multiple immediate impact tranfers imo. 

12 minutes ago, God Cam It said:

Forgot Burks is a SR also. Next year's DL depth is scary bad. Going to need multiple immediate impact tranfers imo. 

Harris, Leota and god willing Hall should at least be back?

My current tally is 11 returning starters next year not counting punter. Not as bad as it looked back in August.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

In the end, the talent we get coming in won't be better than Bama's talent, Georgia's and LSU's. The best we can hope for is to break even with those guys but that is a stretch.  The point I am making is that no matter how good our talent is, to beat those guys is that our coaches is going to have to out scheme, out game plan, and do a better job of playcalling than their coaches.  I have not seen the ability of our coaches to outcoach these coaches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gabo4au said:

Nor do we aspire to be! Unfortunately we're not GA or AL either, which is where we aspire to be!

I don't see why AU can't pull some recruits from LSU right now.  They are on yr 2 of horrible season's with a carousel of coordinators, the OC & DC have never been coordinators before.  Ed O's seat is hot and he may not make it to 2022, and they players opted out last year and are just flat quitting this year. 

Seems like our coaches should be hitting LA hard to some talent to sign in Dec. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

I have not seen the ability of our coaches to outcoach these coaches.

I have seen some moments. On Shenkers end zone drop Jarquez was uncovered on the five yard line and would’ve walked into the end zone. On Shiver’s drop, Shenker was wide open for an easy TD. Great play calls by our OC, poor execution. This staff has to grow with their players and that will take some time. 

Excuses.  That's all this really is.  And, frankly, I am tired of hearing excuses.  

Other teams have true freshman that come in and contribute right away.  Not sure what is the difference between other teams and us but it's the same thing, year after year after year.  "We are young and maybe next year we will insert goal for next year here."   Blah, blah, blah.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Shift said:

Excuses.  That's all this really is.  And, frankly, I am tired of hearing excuses.  

Other teams have true freshman that come in and contribute right away.  Not sure what is the difference between other teams and us but it's the same thing, year after year after year.  "We are young and maybe next year we will insert goal for next year here."   Blah, blah, blah.

Yeah. Kiffin and Pittman could very possibly win 10 games in their second year. Right now I see us thinking we lose at least five for at least the next three years.

11 hours ago, woodford said:

UGA has 19 (!!!!!!) 5 stars on that roster. Good lord almighty they better kick everyone else's ass.

• Thanks 1

"Talent?" What positions? Our D Line, LBs, RBs and IMO TEs have top tier talent although questionable depth. DBs & WRs are sucking on the field but recruit pundits rated most of them SEC "talent". QBs - IMO Nix & DD are All SEC waiting for a decent position coach. Even our whipping boy O line like Brahms were journeymen or damaged but highly rated goods coming out of h.s. The Malzahn bashing crowd insist he left us nothing without acknowledging the talent that transferred out after Gus left and without acknowledging that some of the worst AU performances vs Georgia were by Harsin transfer signees (cough cough Leota cough cough).

Edited by aucanucktiger

6 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

"Talent?" What positions? Our D Line, LBs, RBs and IMO TEs have top tier talent although questionable depth. DBs & WRs are sucking on the field but recruit pundits rated most of them SEC "talent". QBs - IMO Nix & DD are All SEC waiting for a decent position coach. Even our whipping boy O line like Brahms were journeymen or damaged but highly rated goods coming out of h.s. The Malzahn bashing crowd insist he left us nothing without acknowledging the talent that transferred out after Gus left and without acknowledging that some of the worst AU performances vs Georgia were by Harsin transfer signees (cough cough Leota cough cough).

Not wanting to fight about talent and depth....but what has helped make your opinion that DD is all-SEC?  Just curious bc he’s never played or showcased at all in AU uni on gameday.  I know he was a beast in HS but we all know that doesn’t always translate