question about coach harsin

aubiefifty

first off let me say i like harsin quite a bit and i do believe he will do well down the road. what bothers me is i hear guys on here talking about sometimes it appears the better receivers are on the sidelines and i am sure there is method to his madness so to speak. it seems to play on saturdays players have to earn their playing time. how realistic and how hard nose is coach? here is my worry. it is pretty well known Bo Jackson was one of the laziest players during practice on a pat dye team. now we know how great bo was right? if bo jackson played for harsin would he get his shot or get looked over for being lazy? would this be what we call pulling the weeds so to speak to make auburn a better team or does it hurt us? i am just curious. i played on year of Amercan Youth Association football in germany as an army brat. anyone got any thoughts they might bring to the table?

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Here's one truism: Coaches don't put players in the game, players put themselves into the game or on the bench, depending on a number of factors. Lets give Harsin a chance. All we can do is hope he knows what he is doing.

With all these drops our current receivers should’ve been put themselves on the bench then. How many chances is players like Shed gone get? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless the receiver in front of you gets hurt during the game and you come out and have the game of your life how else are you going to show that you deserve to play if you don't show it in practice. To me I don't play that seniority crap. I want the best player to be on the field. If that player is a freshman then so be it. If I am the upper classman you better work harder to keep your job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

With all these drops our current receivers should’ve been put themselves on the bench then. How many chances is players like Shed gone get? 

That depends on what options are available. Apparently we don't have a WR or group of WR's who are likely to make even routine catches and also line up in the correct position.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

first off let me say i like harsin quite a bit and i do believe he will do well down the road. what bothers me is i hear guys on here talking about sometimes it appears the better receivers are on the sidelines and i am sure there is method to his madness so to speak. it seems to play on saturdays players have to earn their playing time. how realistic and how hard nose is coach? here is my worry. it is pretty well known Bo Jackson was one of the laziest players during practice on a pat dye team. now we know how great bo was right? if bo jackson played for harsin would he get his shot or get looked over for being lazy? would this be what we call pulling the weeds so to speak to make auburn a better team or does it hurt us? i am just curious. i played on year of Amercan Youth Association football in germany as an army brat. anyone got any thoughts they might bring to the table?

Was Bo lazy?.............Never heard that though he self admitted hating practice.

• Like 1

I think the stories that Bo was "lazy" was more marketing than anything. It put forth the mythology that he was the most physically gifted guy ever.

He probably was the most physically gifted guy, but from my understanding he was an incredibly hard worker. 

I find it hard to believe that Coach Dye would tolerate anyone who did not have a work ethic.

Regarding the current policy of earning playing time- If Coach Harsin makes an exception, then that would diminish the importance of the culture he is trying to build.

Play the lazy but talented player, damage chances at having long term success because everyone else will think they won't have to work... Players would potentially think,  "Practice won't matter if I am gifted. Coach will play me anyways."

Once one person starts thinking that, it becomes a cancer that is impossible to kill.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I did not know Bo in college but will say this - 

The man took a beating in the games: lots of hits and didn't go down upon first contact.   I remember walking behind him and then  walked around him on my way to Dudley one morning and he was limping.   Now he played that weekend, but I suspect he had to take a few days to recover physically from all the hits he took.   

I suspect him hating practice is born more out the fact he needed more time to recover (Mon and Tue) than most players.    I would never say Bo was lazy and I have never heard that.   The man literally makes his arrows for his hobby and played at the highest level in MLB and the NFL.   Lazy people don't make that kind of effort. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Harsin's in a tough spot right now in terms of the receivers room. He is trying to establish his culture this year while also putting us in position to win games. The receivers have a lot more responsibility in his offense. It's not like Gus where they went deep or blocked. If the younger receivers aren't getting it and not performing in practice, it would send a bad message cultural wise to reward them with playing time. On the other hand, the vets who maybe understand the concepts and earning it in practice (D-Rob and Shed) are not SEC caliber receivers and are performing poorly time and time again.

He's putting it in the players hands. He is not biased against younger players or backups, as evidenced by guys like Kobe Hudson, Jarquez, Finley, and more recently Capers Landen King getting involved. It's up to these young receivers (Canion/Dawson/Jet Johnson) to realize the guys ahead of them suck and to take advatange. That goes for every position on the team right now. I'm frustrated too because I hate seeing Shed and D-Rob keep trotting out there, but I understand where Harsin's coming from

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Until we get the culture and attitude of practicing  hard across the whole team,  I have no problem with it.     We have to get rid of the attitude, " I'm so good that  I don't need to work at practice., and I will still play. "

If we play those type payers,  we will have immediate results, tho they will be minor.   BUT,   It will hurt the team in the long run. enabling the attitude you can play even if you do not work as hard as you should.   We are trying to change the culture back  to blue collar and  hard work.  

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That depends on what options are available. Apparently we don't have a WR or group of WR's who are likely to make even routine catches and also line up in the correct position.

Very good point. Harsin has been specific about needing to come to practice knowing what you are supposed to do.

Compounding the problem on this issue is that Harsin is trying to establish a certain culture for the future. You can't do that by making exceptions and none of us know what is going on in closed practices. For all we know some of the guys who might be able to catch, can't consistently line up for the plays in the right place or get separation. We know that Hudson improved on his drop issue in the last game so the others can do the same. The players acknowledge the problem, as do the coaches and Worm says it's a focus issue. We just know they need to fix it.

• Like 1

i am certainly not trying to make bo look bad. he is one of my favorites. maybe the word lazy was the wrong word but i have heard that all my life. i believe dye said something about it in his first book "in the arena". the best i remember some team members thought he was getting special treatment and resented it. dye said something like you do not overwork your stud player or something to that effect. and from the story of bud casey grabbing bo's face mask and bo told him he better not ever do that again. and the point was bud never did. and you guys know damn well casey talked to dye about it. and it still never happened again.

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Bo was forced to go hard at practice until Dye saw him on the field.

Shed has been a practice warrior for 4 years...has less highlights in the previous 3 than even dudes like Kobe and Canion (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 

At some point, what you're seeing practice and the dissonance of what is happening on the field has to clash against one another 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Bo was forced to go hard at practice until Dye saw him on the field.

i know some players were not happy and dye still did it his way.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i know some players were not happy and dye still did it his way.

true

I have heard Dye say that you can treat everyone fairly and still not treat everyone the same.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

true

I have heard Dye say that you can treat everyone fairly and still not treat everyone the same.

i am pretty sure dye did not want to get bo hurt over something that could be avoided. he knew and told bo that bo gives the auburn people hope. i was just using that as an example and maybe it was not the best one.

I wasn't insinuating that anyone was trying to make Bo look bad.  He may have said he hated to practice, but I can say I didn't always love the 3-a-days in August or the winter workouts when we had to be at the bubble at 6:00 a.m. every morning during Winder quarter.  My goal at Winter workouts was to not puke during or after the workouts.  Thankfully, I achieved my goal and was in the best shape I'd ever been in my life!  Some days you hate practice, but you make it thru because your teammates are there supporting you.  I don't think Bo needed my support!  He didn't even know my name, but if I saw him on campus he would always nod his head and say "Hey."  He didn't have to, but that was the kind of guy he was.

The guys that resented Bo I think were jealous more than anything.  And how could they not be?  Hell, I wish I could've done a fraction of the things Bo did on Saturdays.

• Like 2