You don't say

bigbird

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

lol-i-seent-it.gif

Last 4 years 

If it takes four to figure it out, then you probably had your answer after two and either didn't see it or just refused to admit it.

I kinda wish a truly objective analysis of Malfunction's first 4 years had been done after the 2016 season:  

2013  12-2 (7-1 SEC)  lost bowl game

2014   8-5  (4-4)  lost bowl game

2015   7-6  (2-6)   won bowl game (Birmingham Bowl) 

2016   8-5  (5-3)   lost bowl game

Except for the miraculous 2013 season, his tenure here was a SOLID middling effort with many great weeks of practice -- AU was trending towards becoming Tenn.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

I kinda wish a truly objective analysis of Malfunction's first 4 years had been done after the 2016 season:  

Except for the miraculous 2013 season, his tenure here was a SOLID middling effort with many great weeks of practice -- AU was trending towards becoming Tenn.    

He should've been left in Baton Rouge in 2017

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

That 2014 record is almost criminal….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He should've been left in Baton Rouge in 2017

I was in Durham visiting Duke with my oldest daughter that weekend. I watched that horror unfold sitting in a hotel room trying not to get into the bourbon in front of her. Can’t remember a game that left me feeling more sick at the end, honestly 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I was in Durham visiting Duke with my oldest daughter that weekend. I watched that horror unfold sitting in a hotel room trying not to get into the bourbon in front of her. Can’t remember a game that left me feeling more sick at the end, honestly 

The 2016-17 Clemson, LSU, and UGA games were the worst I've seen..well, there's a UTk, UCF, and USCe game in there too...and some FCS teams too

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

The 2016-17 Clemson, LSU, and UGA games were the worst I've seen

Lots of sheer gutlessness in that list. Truly some of the most spineless coaching I've ever witnessed.

I've seen a lot of stupid, but not much pure chickenscheisse. I can't think of anything that compares to those LSU and Clemson games. 

• Like 3

Felt before the hire and after the hire was made, that it was the wrong hire.   Auburn went for a safe hire and failed.    I didn’t think he was capable of taking the team to a different level and ole Gus proved me right.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The 2016-17 Clemson, LSU, and UGA games were the worst I've seen..well, there's a UTk, UCF, and USCe game in there too...and some FCS teams too

There were plenty of baffling and nauseating ones. That 2017 LSU though…absolutely destroying them then just quit playing. 17 straight first down inside zone runs🤦🏻‍♂️

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

There were plenty of baffling and nauseating ones. That 2017 LSU though…absolutely destroying them then just quit playing. 17 straight first down inside zone runs🤦🏻‍♂️

Imagine people being suspicious of Kevin Steele, who kept working for that man for another 3 1/2 seasons. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Imagine people being suspicious of Kevin Steele, who kept working for that man for another 3 1/2 seasons. 

Dude ought to have some special area of recognition for his service…

• Like 1

The point is ... ... if it takes 4 years to "really know" if we hired the right coach, he should've been kicked to the curb after 2016.  Instead, JABA resulted in a $50M contract the very next year(!)    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

The point is ... ... if it takes 4 years to "really know" if we hired the right coach, he should've been kicked to the curb after 2016.  Instead, JABA resulted in a $50M contract the very next year(!)    

When beating two #1s in November goes wrong.

• Sad 1

I really do take great pleasure in him losing.  I hope his personal life is nothing but sunshine and rainbows, but on the football field there are no amounts of drubbings he can take that will make up for the $20,000,000.00 he swindled.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bammers would tease that AUburn had a high school coach but I’ve witnessed a high school coach with a high school defense that would destroy the bus.  Coached by Chavis Williams who was on one of Saban’s first teams and went on to the Baltimore Ravens. Damn those dudes run a 3-4 to perfection and don’t miss a tackle. If they had an offense to compliment their defense they’d easily win the state. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

2014 A&M and 2017 LSU...I can't decide which game I hate more.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

If it takes four to figure it out, then you probably had your answer after two and either didn't see it or just refused to admit it.

WRONG! Muschamp was 11-2 in his second year at Florida, fired after year four.

McElwain won the SEC East his first two years at Florida, then was fired at the end of year three.

All that proof from just one school.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

So why use that mold to compare when you know we don't fit it.

As you know very well, this subject started as "Will we become the next Tennessee" several months ago. That was in regard to having to hire multiple coaches before finding one to settle on. What happened at AU in years past has nothing to do with what the future may hold with regard to hiring a satisfactory coach.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

This guy just concluded his own debate and doesn’t even know it. 

You don't know enough about the debate to be able to comment intelligently.

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Same guy who said we had plenty of offensive line depth last year.

Had you bothered to count them, you'd have seen I was correct. We still have plenty of O-line depth. Go count. Or better yet, observe that the coaches didn't even make an attempt at getting an O-line transfer. If that doesn't tell you we have adequate O-line depth, it should.

13 hours ago, autiger88 said:

Yeah that wouldnt be pretty but if we kept going with Gus I think we would have trended that way. Nothing against Gus the man it's his coaching. 

Gus was 3-5 against UAT. Last win was just two games ago.There isn't the slightest indication that he'd end up something like 1-31.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Had you bothered to count them, you'd have seen I was correct. We still have plenty of O-line depth. Go count. Or better yet, observe that the coaches didn't even make an attempt at getting an O-line transfer. If that doesn't tell you we have adequate O-line depth, it should.

Yeah, the new coaching staff definitely didn't offer and get a high school offensive tackle in January.

Oh wait.....

As for depth, we've been through this before.  You can have 100 dudes on the line.  If they're all glorified FCS guys, you don't have anything.

• Like 1

Dude has got to improve on his backup QB development. THAT is his offensive problem right now. They looked absolutely fine on that side before Gabriel went down. 

That's always been the thing about Gus. He kinda needs these particular circumstances, and when you have those, you have an elite coach, but can he create that environment? In the same sense that 2013 didn't answer that in the affirmative, I don't think this year should answer that in the negative. 

Wishing Gus well next season, hope they can get back to at least playing fun football for that pretty cool fanbase's sakes 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

WRONG! Muschamp was 11-2 in his second year at Florida, fired after year four.

McElwain won the SEC East his first two years at Florida, then was fired at the end of year three.

All that proof from just one school.

Like I said if you didn't know either of those were destined to fail after year two, then you either didn't see it or refused to believe it. Very similar to seeing Gus in 2014 and seeing the writing on the wall.

9 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

... When did this become the Nip thread?

I thought it might comfort those who are struggling with the realization that all of the criticism leveled at Gus over the years was not "hate" but just accurate observations being discussed in literally the most appropriate place on the internet to discuss them.

How long will the UCF experiment last for him?    It could be possible he will be there 4 years.    Is 4 years long enough to see if he can/cant put it together?