You don't say

bigbird

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

WRONG! Muschamp was 11-2 in his second year at Florida, fired after year four.

McElwain won the SEC East his first two years at Florida, then was fired at the end of year three.

All that proof from just one school.

As you know very well, this subject started as "Will we become the next Tennessee" several months ago. That was in regard to having to hire multiple coaches before finding one to settle on. What happened at AU in years past has nothing to do with what the future may hold with regard to hiring a satisfactory coach.

You don't know enough about the debate to be able to comment intelligently.

Had you bothered to count them, you'd have seen I was correct. We still have plenty of O-line depth. Go count. Or better yet, observe that the coaches didn't even make an attempt at getting an O-line transfer. If that doesn't tell you we have adequate O-line depth, it should.

Gus was 3-5 against UAT. Last win was just two games ago.There isn't the slightest indication that he'd end up something like 1-31.

I said trending and yes there was indication his recruiting and in game coaching was already down hill, but you choose what you wanna see. Its ok Gus is gone now I honestly don't care at this point. Also I wasn't talking to you, why did you quote me for? 🤷

Edited by autiger88

23 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

I kinda wish a truly objective analysis of Malfunction's first 4 years had been done after the 2016 season:  

2013  12-2 (7-1 SEC)  lost bowl game

2014   8-5  (4-4)  lost bowl game

2015   7-6  (2-6)   won bowl game (Birmingham Bowl) 

2016   8-5  (5-3)   lost bowl game

Except for the miraculous 2013 season, his tenure here was a SOLID middling effort with many great weeks of practice -- AU was trending towards becoming Tenn.    

Not just the records. It's the games we lost and how we lost them to me. Not only losing to all of our rivals on the road, but just getting dominated by teams with a pulse to losing games to inferior opponents or struggling with teams we should dominate.

Not knowing what he had until 5 games in and usually a loss or two because of it.

Running players (I.E. KJ 21 ) into the ground and not establishing depth.

Absolute failure at OL recruiting.

Not recruiting to what his system needs.

Absolute spineless coaching in many big games. Coaching not to get blown out as opposed to coaching to win. 

6-4 is a solid season.

"I told our guys if we can get to the half and keep it close we have a chance" against Alabama. GTFOH Tell your guys to go out and kick ass from the first whistle to the last.

Carrying timeouts into eternity.

Abysmal play-calling

Scapegoating and never taking responsibility for our offensive woes.

I can go on and on and on. 

On the other hand, I could give a list of the good things he did as well, but as my Dad..aka Floyd Strupe..aka Mongoose... (RIP) always said ""15 "Atta Boys!" is overridden by one "damn it boy!""

It was such a breath of fresh air to see this team this year go out the first two weeks and take care of business.

I definitely think we have the right man, but of course it is going to take time to fully see. I am 100 percent happy in the first 11 months of the new regime.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Not just the records. It's the games we lost and how we lost them to me. Not only losing to all of our rivals on the road, but just getting dominated by teams with a pulse to losing games to inferior opponents or struggling with teams we should dominate.

Not knowing what he had until 5 games in and usually a loss or two because of it.

Running players (I.E. KJ 21 ) into the ground and not establishing depth.

Absolute failure at OL recruiting.

Not recruiting to what his system needs.

Absolute spineless coaching in many big games. Coaching not to get blown out as opposed to coaching to win. 

6-4 is a solid season.

"I told our guys if we can get to the half and keep it close we have a chance" against Alabama. GTFOH Tell your guys to go out and kick ass from the first whistle to the last.

Carrying timeouts into eternity.

Abysmal play-calling

Scapegoating and never taking responsibility for our offensive woes.

I can go on and on and on. 

On the other hand, I could give a list of the good things he did as well, but as my Dad..aka Floyd Strupe..aka Mongoose... (RIP) always said ""15 "Atta Boys!" is overridden by one "damn it boy!""

It was such a breath of fresh air to see this team this year go out the first two weeks and take care of business.

I definitely think we have the right man, but of course it is going to take time to fully see. I am 100 percent happy in the first 11 months of the new regime.

No arguement with any of that you stated from me.  I just listed the W/L record of the first 4 years because some here believe that's the length of time needed to evaluate a coach's trajectory.  And by any reasonable analysis, 2013 was an outlier.  It was welcomed, certainly by a loyal fanbase ready to celibrate greatness, but it also skewed perception of coaching ability.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auskip07 said:

How long will the UCF experiment last for him?    It could be possible he will be there 4 years.    Is 4 years long enough to see if he can/cant put it together? 

Wonder if Vegas has established an Over Under here.

I'll be surprised if he makes it past this year.

Two at the most.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, aubearcat said:

image.gif.f7ef0bf43da919ac0a6d98e1f3b066e8.gif

👆🏻AUburn fans to UCF fans. 

Yep we are getting revenge for losing to them in the Sugar Bowl.  Except they are getting a long slow death.  Lol

• Like 1

I will always be thankful for Gus for 2010, 2013, and the wins against Alabama…but the program was trending in the wrong direction. The recruiting (especially OL) was sinking, we did not win a meaningful post season game after the 2013 sec championship and it was time for a change. 
I am not mad at the man- he tried his best to recruit and to bring us back to the top but it did not work. Not his fault that he was given millions by an idiot AU administration. 

I will end with 2 thoughts:

1) I watch the product that Gus puts on the field now each week and it makes me cringe. It was so amazing in 2013. It is so awful now. I just do not understand what happened to him. 
2) I also do not understand why some AU fans will not give Harsin a chance. He resume is so much better than any coach we have ever hired. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

2) I also do not understand why some AU fans will not give Harsin a chance. He resume is so much better than any coach we have ever hired. 

I don't know of any AU fan who isn't giving Harsin a chance. There are many of us who won't join the "Gus Sucks" bitterness and also hope Harsin is a huge success.

I'm pointing out that the odds of a school making a great hire on their first try are poor. That's an indisputable fact. Pointing that out in no way means that I don't hope we get lucky and catch the brass ring with the Harsin hire.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:14 AM, autiger88 said:

Also I wasn't talking to you, why did you quote me for? 🤷

I quoted you because this is an open discussion.

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't know of any AU fan who isn't giving Harsin a chance. There are many of us who won't join the "Gus Sucks" bitterness and also hope Harsin is a huge success.

I am not in the Gus sucks crowd but I am in the I am glad he is gone crowd. Again, I see what he is doing on the field and I just don’t think he has it anymore. 
I know that some AU people are bitter because they see the state of the program after eight years and know that our roster should be in much better shape than it is, and people hate we were screwed out of so much money. But again that is an AU problem in my opinion. We saw what was coming years ago…
Harsin needs time to correct the roster issues…. But I also will say that harsin needs to get on it quickly when it comes to recruiting, or he will be in the same boat. 

Side note: As we have seen at Georgia, coaching matters very little when you have more talent than everyone else. We need players!!!!!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Some caller on Finebaum said LSU should go after Malzahn. I agree🤣

He said that he is not good enough for LSU, but ridiculed us for firing him. Tells you what he thinks of AU. 

5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

... Harsin needs time to correct the roster issues…. But I also will say that harsin needs to get on it quickly when it comes to recruiting, or he will be in the same boat. ...

The OL "roster issues" will take at least two recruiting cycles to overcome just the numbers crunch.  Qualitative parity with the SEC frontrunners is harder to gauge.  I'm encouraged with CBH's approach and just from what I've been able to observe from afar, I believe he's on the right track & will be successful in the long run. 

I'll say this:  if after 4 years at AU, CBH only has 1 SEC championship and a single Birmingham Bowl victory (Yay!) to his credit, then I'll be first in line with burning him in effigy.      

14 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

The OL "roster issues" will take at least two recruiting cycles to overcome just the numbers crunch.  Qualitative parity with the SEC frontrunners is harder to gauge.  I'm encouraged with CBH's approach and just from what I've been able to observe from afar, I believe he's on the right track & will be successful in the long run. 

I'll say this:  if after 4 years at AU, CBH only has 1 SEC championship and a single Birmingham Bowl victory (Yay!) to his credit, then I'll be first in line with burning him in effigy.      

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

I'll take one SEC Championship between now and 2024--though if only one, then preferably not in his first year.

Edited by AUwent

The man made watching Auburn football, an exercise in total frustration. For that, I rejoice that the man is gone. I am sitting here watching UCF, and although they look like they will win, it is the same mess we saw for years and shook our heads at his ineptness. 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, gr82b4au said:

Side note: As we have seen at Georgia, coaching matters very little when you have more talent than everyone else. We need players!!!!!!!

That is not exactly true as seen by Gus and a whole host of other teams with quality talent and not making progress. The idea that CNS and CKS coaches very little needs to stop. Like did LSU just stop having talented players all of a sudden? Did NCSU and all of the ACC all of a sudden get more talent than Clemson. Is Navy more talented than UCF? Does Arkansas really have more talent than UT? To sustain success at a high level, you have to be able to coach adequately. UGA defense is insanely good because they have a mastermind running it with good to great players. The 2017 AU was arguably one of the best rosters in the nation and we couldn't get to the playoffs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

That is not exactly true as seen by Gus and a whole host of other teams with quality talent and not making progress. The idea that CNS and CKS coaches very little needs to stop. Like did LSU just stop having talented players all of a sudden? Did NCSU and all of the ACC all of a sudden get more talent than Clemson. Is Navy more talented than UCF? Does Arkansas really have more talent than UT? To sustain success at a high level, you have to be able to coach adequately. UGA defense is insanely good because they have a mastermind running it with good to great players. The 2017 AU was arguably one of the best rosters in the nation and we couldn't get to the playoffs.

Totally agree

• Like 1