Why fans rolled Toomer’s Corner Last night

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Why Auburn fans rolled Toomer’s Corner during the bye week

Chris Wallace | 1 hour ago
1 minute

The Auburn football team had a bye on Saturday, so there was no big game to be won.

Saturday night, however, one of the biggest Auburn traditions still took place, as local fans rolled Toomer’s Corner.

Why?

It was in celebration of the Atlanta Braves beating the Los Angeles Dodgers to advance to the World Series.

The Braves had entered the series as heavy underdogs against the defending champs but a 4-2 win in Game 6 was enough to send Atlanta back to the World Series for the first time since 1999.

Auburn fans are always looking for a reason to roll Toomer’s Corner and apparently this wasn’t the first time that the Braves had caused the celebration.

Atlanta will face Houston in the World Series with Game 1 set for Tuesday night.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I do not like this.   Auburn doesn't represent the Braves.      This is an AUBURN tradition.   Anything unrelated to Auburn should be considered littering. 

to each their own quiet. i understand. but auburn has rolled toomers a time or two not football related the best i can remember. i am not going to google it but taking a guess i wonder if maybe auburn has some players on the braves club?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

to each their own quiet. i understand. but auburn has rolled toomers a time or two not football related the best i can remember. i am not going to google it but taking a guess i wonder if maybe auburn has some players on the braves club?

If people start rolling toomers for every ex Auburn player  in every sport toomers would never be "unrolled".

I know bama fans that go to Auburn.   How will you feel if they start rolling toomers when bama wins.     

The Braves are my MLB  bama     

JMO  but I feel strongly about this.  I am all for rolling toomers for any Auburn sport,  academic recognition,  a  Greek accomplishment from AU campus,   even a huge donation, etc.    but unless it is an Auburn success,  it is just littering.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 6
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I know bama fans that go to Auburn.   How will you feel if they start rolling toomers when bama wins.     

The Braves are my MLB  bama     

JMO  but I feel strongly about this.  I am all for rolling toomers for any Auburn sport,  academic recognition,  a  Greek accomplishment from AU campus,   even a huge donation, etc.    but unless it is an Auburn success,  it is just littering.

maybe i stated it badly but i absolutely have no problem with your stance on toomers. just so you know.

• Like 1

We've had some former Tigers on the Braves, Hudson and Donaldson that I can name quickly. Also Tom Glavine's son Peyton is now a Tiger. 

There's a connection to that degree so I actually think it's pretty cool. Go Braves!

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

We've had some former Tigers on the Braves, Hudson and Donaldson that I can name quickly. Also Tom Glavine's son Peyton is now a Tiger. 

There's a connection to that degree so I actually think it's pretty cool. Go Braves!

We have players and former players on a dozen teams in dozens of pro sports.  An Atlanta win has nothing more to do with Auburn than any other teams with Auburn players on it.     

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

Kinda disappointing that they rolled the trees better for the braves than they did for Suni Lee. Agree with qmitc, students need to stop rolling the trees for anything not related to Auburn (politics included). It diminishes a great tradition. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

We have players and former players on a dozen teams in dozens of pro sports.  An Atlanta win has nothing more to do with Auburn than any other teams with Auburn players on it.     

You're right, we're going to need more toilet paper. 

Edited by gr82be
The above is a joke.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No problem with it..............

I think they should roll Toomers for me aka GOLF also need my own statue next to Shug

And one of the good old downtown night before game street parties. Chevy Chase, Kid Blue, or The Swinging Medallions….beer in a 16oz cup from downtown vendors allowed.

• Like 1

Agree with Quiet on this one. It's an AUBURN tradition not a "when a team I likes does something good" tradition. If we start rolling for the Braves how long until we start rolling for the Falcons or the Titans? What about if the Cavs make the playoffs? Or the Hawks? Just loses all of it's tradition when we roll it because we feel like it. Our storied program has a lot of ex players playing in a lot of different organizations and different sports can't be rolling the trees just because we have ex players from that organization.

• Like 3

I might be going out on the a limb but I would imagine if this trends continues, for non-Auburn events, then the University/City might take an official stance. As far as I can remember the post-rolling's clean up, costs, and damage has always been a sticking point, and that was only for Auburn wins. Plus, I believe the young trees are still in a precarious state. Adding those same factors chronically into non-Auburn events will eventually cause a stir-up because the increase in maintenance/damage is viewed as avoidable and not sustainable to the area. 

I love the tradition and my initial gut reaction is to roll for Braves wins but looking at the bigger picture I can appreciate the challenges it brings to the area. 

• Like 3

In 1991, when the Braves finally went from worst to first and to the World Series, I remember people shooting fireworks from their balconies, car horns blowing and everyone celebrating just like Auburn had won the SEC.  This isn't something new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not real fond of it regarding non Auburn events. Remember in the early 80’s when it was primarily locals and after away game wins. It evolved into the spectacular celebrations we have today. A proper rolling requires blocking the streets off and rerouting traffic. Pretty sure with things like a Braves win fans have a little fun and police or officials ask them to move along.

4 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Kinda disappointing that they rolled the trees better for the braves than they did for Suni Lee. Agree with qmitc, students need to stop rolling the trees for anything not related to Auburn (politics included). It diminishes a great tradition. 

So now we're at the point of rating the Tree Rollings at Toomers?

Gotta move on to something else AT4life. :)

• Like 1

I can remember rolling Toomers and doing the chop my freshman year in 1991 when the Braves made it to the World Series.  There was little reason to roll it otherwise in 1991 as Auburn football was not good at all, outside of a win at Texas, and the Eric Ramsey stuff was getting started.  Let kids be kids. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So now we're at the point of rating the Tree Rollings at Toomers?

Gotta move on to something else AT4life. :)

Why not? Was a bye week for us. Hopes for Tennessee faded quickly last night.

Guest MustardSeed

I’m good with it, as long as the ones who do it for non Auburn events also pay for the cleanup. Why should AU money go to cleanup braves celebrations?  Do they just have extra money and time for every event someone wants to celebrate?  Doubt it. I don’t live there so it’s quite irrelevant to me but I sure wouldn’t want my taxes being raised to cover the extra costs…

Yeah, let's condemn the fun and exuberance of 20 year old college kids. Hell, it's not like it happens every weekend.

When I was there in the early 80's, a varied group of us would go watch the Braves several times each Spring. Of course, it helped to have a frat brother whose dad was manager of the ticket office for the university. Point, though, being, the Braves have a huge following of fans in Auburn.

We rolled Toomer's in '82 when the Braves set the record for consecutive wins to open a season. This was after they had finished dead last in the division the year before.

I also participated in rolling Toomer's when the hockey team kicked that Soviet ass.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, wareagle7298 said:

I can remember rolling Toomers and doing the chop my freshman year in 1991 when the Braves made it to the World Series.  There was little reason to roll it otherwise in 1991 as Auburn football was not good at all, outside of a win at Texas, and the Eric Ramsey stuff was getting started.  Let kids be kids. 

Was there as well!  That’s the only time I recall rolling toomers outside of an Auburn victory. The Braves are (or maybe were) America’s team. They certainly are the MLB team for this area. Hope it gets rolled again next weekend (twice). 

• Like 1