New York Judge Who Says He "Prayed About What Sentence to Impose", Sentences Man To Probation with No Jail Time For Pleading Guilty to Raping and Assaulting multiple Teenage Girls.

CoffeeTiger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/11/17/newyork-christopher-belter-rape-probation/

Christopher Belter (now 20) pleased guilty in 2019 to Raping and sexually assaulting multiple teenage girls when he was 16-17 years old. He faced up to 8 years in prison and was being tried as an adult. Belter comes from a wealthy family and  has repeatedly violated his probation conditions while awaiting sentencing in this case. 

Judge Matthew J. Murphy III said he agonized and prayed over what sentence to impose on Belter because he knew great harm and suffering had been committed, but ultimately said he didn't believe that incarceration would be appropriate in this case and so has sentenced the man to probation for his guilty plea to the 4 charges against him. 

"

Although Belter faced a maximum sentence of eight years in prison, Murphy concluded that jail time for the man “would be inappropriate” in a ruling that shocked the courtroom.

“I’m not ashamed to say that I actually prayed over what is the appropriate sentence in this case because there was great pain. There was great harm. There were multiple crimes committed in the case,” Murphy said, according to WKBW. “It seems to me that a sentence that involves incarceration or partial incarceration isn’t appropriate, so I am going to sentence you to probation.”

Steven M. Cohen, an attorney for one of the victims, denounced the judge’s sentencing, saying to reporters on Tuesday, “Justice was not done here.” He told The Washington Post on Wednesday that his client, who was joined by some of the other victims in the courtroom, was “deeply disappointed” in the sentencing.

“My client threw up in the ladies room following the sentencing,” Cohen said. “If Chris Belter was not a White defendant from a rich and influential family, in my experience … he would surely have been sentenced to prison.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucky for this young man that apparently God was on his side and told the Judge to go easy on him and not to send him to jail. He will have to register as a sex offender, but he comes from a family with money and supposedly connections so the conviction shouldn't really harm his employment or income situation too much in his life. 

We all make mistakes as a teen, his mistake was raping girls, but apparently he's really sorry he did it and says he wont ever do it again, so I guess all is good then. Unbelievable. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Lucky for this young man that apparently God was on his side and told the Judge to go easy on him and not to send him to jail.

Wrong interpretation.  What the judge said was:

“I’m not ashamed to say that I actually prayed over what is the appropriate sentence in this case because there was great pain. There was great harm. There were multiple crimes committed in the case,” Murphy said, according to WKBW. “It seems to me that a sentence that involves incarceration or partial incarceration isn’t appropriate, so I am going to sentence you to probation.”

Just because he *prayed* about it doesn’t mean God had much to do with the judge’s decision.  The judge is just using God as a scapegoat for this terrible decision.  JMO.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Just because he *prayed* about it doesn’t mean God had much to do with the judge’s decision.  The judge is just using God as a scapegoat for this terrible decision.  JMO.

I kno.  However, most people don't mention that they 'prayed' about something unless they are strongly implying that they believe God would guide their minds or their situation into what his will would be. 

But I know it's not them directly saying "God told me to do this" 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I kno.  However, most people don't mention that they 'prayed' about something unless they are strongly implying that they believe God would guide their minds or their situation into what his will would be. 

But I know it's not them directly saying "God told me to do this" 

Mentioning God in a government proceeding is usually a no-no and it is unusual for this judge to say that he prayed.  That is why I think he is trying to lessen the blowback from this terrible decision.  I doubt it will work except in his mind.

• Like 1

Our justice system is typically stacked toward the wealthy.  For example, why didn't the parole violations come into play?

Did the victims have representation, and if so, is there is an avenue to appeal the ruling?  (It's not like the judge declared him not guilty.)

Also wonder about the possibility of a civil recourse.

Edited by homersapien

The judge should have ordered him detained until trial when he violated his terms the first time.  Clearly the kid needs a wake up call.  There is a natural part of our humanity that often leads people to be more lenient with people that they relate to.  I get that.  However, a judge should be able to think outside of that instinct enough to make sentencing relative to circumstances and not relative to position.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1