Hot Takes: TJ Finely's 1st Start

W.E.D

TJ Finely is going to be much more athletic and will be able to move around the pocket/run better than most any gives him credit for.  He's not going do what Bo does, but I don't believe he has the concrete feet/statue-esq/immobility that many Auburn boards believes he has.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

TJ Finely is going to be much more athletic and will be able to move around the pocket/run better than most any gives him credit for.  He's not going do what Bo does, but I don't believe he has the concrete feet/statue-esq/immobility that many Auburn boards believes he has.

During his play vs Ga. State, he was much more mobile than I expected.  It didnt look very graceful, but he got it done.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

During his play vs Ga. State, he was much more mobile than I expected.  It didnt look very graceful, but he got it done.

I don't think he'll be able to do what he did on the last TD vs many SEC teams, but there there a few runs where he had some pretty solid straight line speed and got up field quickly for a 1st down.

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

all i know is he is a super great kid and i hope he shines. i hate bo got hurt but tj deserves a shot so now we will see what we have with him. i doubt coach o recruits him if he sucks.

• Like 2

I just think TJ is a great kid with a good head on his shoulders, with physical gifts that give him an extremely high ceiling. Now, it’s up to Harsin and Bobo to put together a plan that suits him, and everyone else on the offense will need to step up. I’m actually really excited to watch him play a full game with a plan designed for his strengths.

As to my hot take, I will say that he doesn’t turn over the ball once this weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I just think TJ is a great kid with a good head on his shoulders, with physical gifts that give him an extremely high ceiling. Now, it’s up to Harsin and Bobo to put together a plan that suits him, and everyone else on the offense will need to step up. I’m actually really excited to watch him play a full game with a plan designed for his strengths.

As to my hot take, I will say that he doesn’t turn over the ball once this weekend. 

he beat them last year but he might have those jitters. but i am sure it is like my band days. i would be scared but once those first couple of songs were played i could rock the house. this is what i hope for tj.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, woodford said:

Hot take - Auburn wins and the Bo haters have exactly 6 and a half days to tell us how wrong and dumb we all are and how they were right all along. 

Man that sounds familiar.....sounds like the LSU game

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Hot take - Auburn wins and the Bo haters have exactly 6 and a half days to tell us how wrong and dumb we all are and how they were right all along. 

So just like every other game from the Bo lovers?

We're going to have to live with a few sacks. TJ sometimes has a tendency to stand in the pocket too long, which is the opposite of Bo. The tradeoff that I hope for is that, while he'll take some sacks, he'll also hit more guys downfield than Bo does because they will have more time to get open. We'll see. Interested to see how the play calling changes

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

We're going to have to live with a few sacks. TJ sometimes has a tendency to stand in the pocket too long, which is the opposite of Bo. The tradeoff that I hope for is that, while he'll take some sacks, he'll also hit more guys downfield than Bo does because they will have more time to get open. We'll see. Interested to see how the play calling changes

I went back and rewatched TJs play from the Ga State game a little while ago, he looks good when he steps up in to the pocket but he's going to need a bit more time from our OL to have consistent timing on his deep shots.  Those deep balls vs Ga. State were just slightly overthrown, and I think with another second he can nail the timing.

• Like 3

I think he is a guy that will look good if the run game can be decent and if we get in a rhythm. Not a big surprise for any backup quarterback but I expect we see very easy completions and confidence builders. It is imperative that receivers make those catches and get Finley's momentum rolling.

South Carolina is not good. They beat a Florida team that has utterly collapsed and given up on the season. Other than that their results this year aren't impressive.

5 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I went back and rewatched TJs play from the Ga State game a little while ago, he looks good when he steps up in to the pocket but he's going to need a bit more time from our OL to have consistent timing on his deep shots.  Those deep balls vs Ga. State were just slightly overthrown, and I think with another second he can nail the timing.

I really feel like the assumption he's going to get sacked constantly is a bit overstated.

I think TJ is a great human. His parents raised him well. Kid has class and character. I hate Bo got hurt. TJ’s time to shine. WDE!! Let’s do this TJ!!

• Like 5

TJ seems to have a tendency to step into the pocket instead of trying to use speed to bail. That may prove to be a good tactic. If Bobo will always have a guy over the middle, stepping up into the pocket can be a successful ploy for TJ. I think with TJ's height, he can see a bit better in the middle.

If the pocket is non existent or collapses from the inside, we are in a world of hurt. 

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

he beat them last year but he might have those jitters. but i am sure it is like my band days. i would be scared but once those first couple of songs were played i could rock the house. this is what i hope for tj.

He probably won’t have the benefits of between song add ons that you had.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, woodford said:

So if we lose are the TJ haters tell things?

The man has a world of potential but except for 1/2 of one quarter at Auburn (Ga State) and one game at LSU (vs S. Carolina), his college career has alternated between average and dreadful. If he can string together a half dozen catchable passes and his receivers don't drop them to start the game, I bet he settles down and gives gamecocks grief. If Carolina blitzes him a lot to start game (crazy if they dont) or our O line faces a D expecting the run, we'll see Grant Loy in the 3d quarter. 

10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The man has a world of potential but except for 1/2 of one quarter at Auburn (Ga State) and one game at LSU (vs S. Carolina), his college career has alternated between average and dreadful. If he can string together a half dozen catchable passes and his receivers don't drop them to start the game, I bet he settles down and gives gamecocks grief. If Carolina blitzes him a lot to start game (crazy if they dont) or our O line faces a D expecting the run, we'll see Grant Loy in the 3d quarter. 

The same people that have helped Bo improve have been working with him too. I realize playing helps a great deal but I have no doubt he has progressed a great deal.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, au302 said:

I think he will manage the game and our RB’s will carry us to the win, because it’s South Carolina. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So just like every other game from the Bo lovers?

I have never doubted Bo’s will or his toughness. Unfortunately, those traits don’t always mean success. Maybe this is a good thing for AU and Finley or maybe it crashes and burns. One thing is for sure, I don’t think the moment will overwhelm him completely. Jitters at first are expected, but a few completions and a few good drives with the play calling mixing things up, may be just what the team needs. I for one, am a bit excited to see what he can do as the Main Guy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, Finely is more mobile than many want to give him credit, much like Jason Campbell. TJ has NFL size and a cannon for an arm, he simply LACKS experience. If he gets the experience and gains the much needed confidence, the players seem much more willing to follow him as a leader. If he gains the confidence quickly, Bo might have played his last game at AU.

• Haha 1