S. Carolina admits to 10 violations, 5 major

SouthLink02

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...iolations_x.htm

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina admitted to 10 NCAA violations — five classified as major — for the football program under coach Lou Holtz in a report released Wednesday.

Holtz stepped away from the Gamecocks after six seasons this past November and was replaced by Steve Spurrier. The report closes a chapter in which South Carolina had its greatest success (Holtz went 17-7 and won back-to-back Outback Bowls in 2000 and 2001), but also endured a shadow of wrongdoing since the NCAA's inquiry began in the fall of 2002.

"Any success that we have in athletics should be earned honorably and never be tainted by any violation of the rules and regulations that govern intercollegiate athletics," University of South Carolina board Chairman Herbert Adams said.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The investigation has been going on since 2002, I do believe. As far as it has gone, he would have had to be aware of the possibility of snctions.

It isn't bad - loss of two schollies for two years and loss of 6 paid recruiting visits.

The only violation that directly names Holtz is a secondary one in which the former coach talked to two prospects with a media member present.

Well that's not so bad...at least Holtz's name isn't being dragged through the mud.

Here's a question - because they admitted to "lack of institutional control", is there a chance they may get the death penalty?

Here's a question - because they admitted to "lack of institutional control", is there a chance they may get the death penalty?

168730[/snapback]

No way...I actually think South Carolina wont be in too much trouble over this...A little sanction and probation here and there...but nothing like what Alabama had to go through.

168730[/snapback]

No way...I actually think South Carolina wont be in too much trouble over this...A little sanction and probation here and there...but nothing like what Alabama had to go through.

168745[/snapback]

Remember Alabama was a repeat cheater, hence the harsh penalties. :cheer:

:au:

I do believe Lou Holtz got every school where he coached on probation after he left with the exception of Notre Dame. I doubt he operated any differently at Notre Dame.

I do believe Lou Holtz got every school where he coached on probation after he left with the exception of Notre Dame.  I doubt he operated any differently at Notre Dame.

168760[/snapback]

:arky: and Minnesota were fine.

Actually ND and :usc: were left in probation.

Does anyone else feel that USC's response is laughable???

Or is my pure and utter hatred for USC clouding my judgement?

Well, I went to both UGA/USC games at USuCk and had horrible times each visit.

We won both games too yet it I was treated worse then I had been anywhere else in the SEC.

To top it off, it's USuCk. Good god, win something then start talking trash. Your football program is arguably the biggest joke in college football history yet the way they talked and acted it was as if I was smack talking with Michigan or Notre Dame fans.

Just really annoyed me.

Hey, works for me. :D

I recall last year, someone posted a thread from a USuck board about AU and they were trashing us like no ones business. I remember thinking, what the he## is their problem with us. You're right, they were talking as if they had this long, storied tradition and AU was just a bunch of backwoods, cousin marryin' rednecks.

And I will categorically state for the record, I have NEVER married one of my cousins. :big:

I dread the day that USC wins the East or worse the SEC......you will hear things like "Dynasty" and all sorts of ridiculous talk about how they have owned the SEC and whatnot for years :angry:

Wait a minute. I could have sworn I read somewhere that usc were MNC! :blink:

Oh wait, that's another usc...nevermind. :D

Hey............... I am with you SouthLink!!!!

Living here in South Carolina, you get to hear all the trash that the USuCk folks talk when it comes to football. For Gods sake.........they're in the bottom 10% of winning percentage statistics in NCAA history!

I love hearing all the trash that the Clemson folks are throwing at them. Funny as hell!

The major violations will more than likely get them 10 overall schollies and maybe a 1-2 year post season ban........... The big words in the report is the LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.......... And the fact that they had two players who were playing against the eligibility requirements. BAD BAD BAD News there!

Either way, two years of probation would be about how long it will take to get this team on track, at best. That would be considered a "building time" for ole Darth considering he has had 22 players thrown in jail over the last 6 months.

Hell with em!!!! Bring your feathered asses on come October!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived