WR1

LPTiger

4 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Our 4 wideouts who caught a pass today combined for 9 catches for 105 yards.   Houston's WR1, #1, had 10 catches for 150.    We need a WR1.

Yep, and my guy Hudson dropped back to back passes in crunch time.  We need a couple of playmakers at WR badly.  It would also be nice to have a RB break an arm tackle once in a while too.

Big time WRs never wanted to come to AU under Gus because his system was unlikely to get them to the NFL.  So right now we don't have any big time WR1 talent on the team.  Hopefully with Geriner coming in WRs will see they have a legitimate passing QB to work with couple that with Harsin's system more directly relating to the NFL and we may get some guys eventually.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Big time WRs never wanted to come to AU under Gus because his system was unlikely to get them to the NFL.  So right now we don't have any big time WR1 talent on the team.  Hopefully with Geriner coming in WRs will see they have a legitimate passing QB to work with couple that with Harsin's system more directly relating to the NFL and we may get some guys eventually.

I am going to slightly disagree. We've had several NFL guys : Slayton, AS, Coates and other big names sign with Gus. The problem was they were so significantly under utilized it left us with a bare cup heading to this year. People forget where the recruiting was before CBH was fired. Imagine if CBH had SW and AS. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Our 4 wideouts who caught a pass today combined for 9 catches for 105 yards.   Houston's WR1, #1, had 10 catches for 150.    We need a WR1.

As a footnote to WR1, on the Houston go ahead TD pass, we were covering #1 with our number 99. 😳  Needless to say he was giving up a step. They got the TD anyway thanks to a poorly disguised but apparently unnoticed hold clearly visible to 20k live and a few hundred more on tv.

Edited by jj3jordan

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am going to slightly disagree. We've had several NFL guys : Slayton, AS, Coates and other big names sign with Gus. The problem was they were so significantly under utilized it left us with a bare cup heading to this year. People forget where the recruiting was before CBH was fired. Imagine if CBH had SW and AS. 

Yeah. WR recruiting never made sense under Gus. We seemingly always recruited that position well

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is true we have gotten some guys over the years, it just made a major impact to me when there was a former AU player that was working with several top WR recruits and when he mentioned Auburn to him they replied "why would we go to Auburn, they don't pass the ball".

I was probably too overzealous in my statement so, I take it back mostly.

• Like 1

This is true but the yardage would look a lot better if the QB could hit them. I'm under no delusions. We clearly need better receivers. Specifically an outside guy. I do think the group improved, and there seemed to be guys streaking open every game that were overthrown 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

As a footnote to WR1, on the Houston go ahead TD pass, we were covering #1 with our number 99. 😳  Needless to say he was giving up a step. They got the TD anyway thanks to a poorly disguised but apparently unnoticed hold clearly visible to 20k live and a few hundred more on tv.

Don’t forget the missed intentional grounding on the last drive…again:

I will say, the yardage probably isn’t a great determiner (if that’s a word) 

about 40 yards was missed twice, two plays apart, by Finley whiffing. I don’t even think it’s a chicken egg situation, receivers were clearly open almost all day. 

Your point isn’t entirely incorrect, but this game doesn’t reflect that 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hudson still has the potential to me but this season could rightfully project him as more of a reallly good slot option 

Agreed. He's not Seth Williams. I love that we have a Kobe Hudson but we need another Seth Williams. (For the millionth time, my goodness what a different offense this could have been if he'd stayed.)

It was great to see Dawson in the game yesterday and to see a little more usage of Johnsons Jet and Javy. I think there's a lot of big play potential in that group.

But the OP is right. We're overdue for a first or even second round, do everything stud. I don't see that guy on this roster. Maybe there's potential for that in the 2022 group but an immediate impact guy seems awfully optimistic. 

• Like 1

I thought Capers was going to be that guy, obviously I was extremely mistaken 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. He's not Seth Williams. I love that we have a Kobe Hudson but we need another Seth Williams. (For the millionth time, my goodness what a different offense this could have been if he'd stayed.)

It was great to see Dawson in the game yesterday and to see a little more usage of Johnsons Jet and Javy. I think there's a lot of big play potential in that group.

But the OP is right. We're overdue for a first or even second round, do everything stud. I don't see that guy on this roster. Maybe there's potential for that in the 2022 group but an immediate impact guy seems awfully optimistic. 

i have heard on riddit that seth left beccause he and bo did not get along. something about banging seth for not catching balls when many times bo missed his target or threw it where the receiver was hung out to take a huge lick. did you ever hear anything to that effect?

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i have heard on riddit that seth left beccause he and bo did not get along. something about banging seth for not catching balls when many times bo missed his target or threw it where the receiver was hung out to take a huge lick. did you ever hear anything to that effect?

Didn’t, but doesn’t surprise me in the least. 

After the bowl game last year I was hearing and reading what a can't miss WR Canion was supposed to be. Did he even see the field this year. I believe he has transferred, so I don't guess it matters. But what was the problem the coaches had with him?

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Haven't heard that but it would be a surprise to me if that was true. Bo went to Seth first, always.. To the point that it was like.. Hey bo, stop looking for seth every single pass play. I'd be surprised if he left because of that and would view it as rather weak if true.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

After the bowl game last year I was hearing and reading what a can't miss WR Canion was supposed to be. Did he even see the field this year. I believe he has transferred, so I don't guess it matters. But what was the problem the coaches had with him?

The WarRapport guys referenced that Canion was a happy go lucky kid that never took things too seriously always joking around etc.  Canion's Dad showed up in a live-stream or two of theirs before Canion transferred.  Conjecture was that Canion's free-going disposition was fine under the previous staff but didn't gel so hot with how intense and serious Harsin seems to be.

#40 Landon King should be on the field every play. The guys does nothing but get open and make the catch. 
The middle of the field should be owned by him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, CCTAU said:

#40 Landon King should be on the field every play. The guys does nothing but get open and make the catch. 

Poor man's Kyle Pitts?

Kidding. But he is clearly going to be a major factor in this offense. Especially in the red zone, it appears. 

12 hours ago, CCTAU said:

I only saw Landon on the field for the one play where he caught the TD (but it was called back).   Didn't make sense to me that he wasn't out there more.   Was he out there for other plays that I missed?

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I only saw Landon on the field for the one play where he caught the TD (but it was called back).   Didn't make sense to me that he wasn't out there more.   Was he out there for other plays that I missed?

He was. On one of Tanks long plays, he was on the other side of the field. I saw that and told my wife a run play is coming. I think it was a screen. The kid is a mismatch. And we NEED those badly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Poor man's Kyle Pitts?

Kidding. But he is clearly going to be a major factor in this offense. Especially in the red zone, it appears. 

He is listed as a TE, but he is better in the slot. Not many LBs can cover him. 

• Like 2

The difference between the Perdue receivers & our receivers is ridiculous.   They are making amazing catch after amazing catch against Tennessee.  So frustrating to watch.

1 minute ago, WDEagle said:

The difference between the Purdue receivers & our receivers is ridiculous.   They are making amazing catch after amazing catch against Tennessee.  So frustrating to watch.

Purdue