Harsin emphasizing the QB position

aubiefifty

Harsin seems to be emphasizing the QB position in his program

renderTimingPixel.png

This is just a personal opinion, but it seems pretty clear to me that Harsin is putting a much stronger emphasis on evaluating and developing QB’s than our previous coaching regime. Here’s what I’m seeing:

1. When we needed a new OC, he went and grabbed an NFL-caliber QB coach. It seems like Davis’ primary job will be recruiting and developing quarterbacks, while Harsin focuses on calling plays.

2. We also just added Mike Hartline, the former Kentucky QB, as an off-field analyst. He’s worked with QB’s at Ohio State and Cincinnati, and presumably his job will be to evaluate our quarterbacks and work with them in the film room.

3. We just added our fifth scholarship QB in Robby Ashford. Our QB coaching staff is now in place, and they’ve set things up for an all-out QB competition between 5 legit contenders. If you develop into a better QB than everyone else, you get to play.

this was taken from reddit

1. Worth noting that Harsin and his staff went hard after Caleb Williams. We were willing to play the big money NIL game to get our starting QB.

Anyway, this just feels like a nice departure from the previous staff, who usually only had one or two legit QB options on the roster at any given time and never really showed any effort to develop our QB’s other than teaching them how to play within Gus’ offense. I mean hell, most of our QB’s got worse under Gus. Let’s hope we see the opposite from Harsin and his staff.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The issue to me is we look to have a room full of good back-up QBs but no legitimate starter. Of the 3 transfer QBs here now, not one of them looked to be on their previous teams 2 deep depth chart. Maybe Davis works some magic here but its not a promising outlook.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, CR said:

The issue to me is we look to have a room full of good back-up QBs but no legitimate starter. Of the 3 transfer QBs here now, not one of them looked to be on their previous teams 2 deep depth chart. Maybe Davis works some magic here but its not a promising outlook.

I see what you're seeing with this group.  The QB competition will be monumental this spring. 

13 minutes ago, CR said:

Transfer QB Calzada was QB1.  

21 minutes ago, CR said:

Agreed. Auburn wasn’t going to land a big name QB until they fixed their OL issues. At least that’s my 2 cents. Why would Caleb Williams come to Auburn? How would running for his life help his draft stock?

• Like 1

The overall talent in the QB room has improved, a real NFL QB coach is onboard and the RB room is good to go. So now if we can get a minimum of 1 go to WR and 1 good starting OT, we have a chance. More good OL and WRs are preferable of course.   

• Like 3

Auburn football is in a FULL reboot mode with our new coaching staff. I would argue that it’s challenging enough to retool a football program when conditions are normal in  college athletics. That being said this staff is not only rebuilding our program but within the last year Harsin and his staff has had to deal with….. 
- Poor leadership within the University and past coaching staff. (Contracts, recruiting, culture)

- A legacy QB and his family influence on the program

- Serious deficiencies in particular position groups. 

- Navigation of a pandemic and it’s impact on early recruitment opportunities. 

- NIL influence on players staying transferring and their overall commitment.

- Our two biggest rivals having historical success in winning and recruiting. 

We all want the football program and coach Harsin to succeed. But given how the cards have been dealt it may take longer to get to where He and We all want to be. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Auburn football is in a FULL reboot mode with our new coaching staff. I would argue that it’s challenging enough to retool a football program when conditions are normal in  college athletics. That being said this staff is not only rebuilding our program but within the last year Harsin and his staff has had to deal with….. 
- Poor leadership within the University and past coaching staff. (Contracts, recruiting, culture)

We all want the football program and coach Harsin to succeed. But given how the cards have been dealt it may take longer to get to where He and We all want to be. 

I would add that they had to deal with some problems he brought with him and some apparent poor coaching staff selections.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I would add that they had to deal with some problems he brought with him and some apparent poor coaching staff selections.

What would say were the problems that Harsin brought with him? 

Until that offensive line gets fixed, what we have at QB is a rotation. Unless something changes quickly, we're looking at a potentially poor year next year with a larger learning curve than the prior season. We need bodies, we got 'em. If everything works out, we'll have a serviceable game manager under center who can make some plays. We're not going to have a game changer. We're probably a few years from that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

What would say were the problems that Harsin brought with him? 

No sense in rehashing as they are all in the background at this date.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Humorous to see this downvoted. Unless folks think you meant to capitalize "He" at the end there, lol. Gotta admit, that would be a little weird. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Humorous to see this downvoted. Unless folks think you meant to capitalize "He" at the end there, lol. Gotta admit, that would be a little weird. 

Tough crowd. Yeah, He as in emphasis on Harsin. Not the He. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Transfer QB Calzada was QB1.  

Has anyone heard if Calzada has had a procedure on his shoulder which may keep him out of spring practice?

I've only seen it mentioned somewhere else, but he had a sling on...

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

great post, ignore the dislikes from a particular subset of posters.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Has anyone heard if Calzada has had a procedure on his shoulder which may keep him out of spring practice?

I've only seen it mentioned somewhere else, but he had a sling on...

Yes have heard he had some type of injury and hasn’t been participating in any workouts 

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Pittman, Kiffin and Beamer faced many of the same challenges. The first two guys won at least 9 games their second years and the third guy won his bowl game, got Spencer Rattler to transfer, and likely as a result of the second point is projected ahead of us in all the early forecasts I could find.

Edited by AUwent

13 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Only after injury to original starter

So… that means he was 2nd on the depth chart.  And started 11 or 12 games in a row.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Pittman, Kiffin and Beamer faced many of the same challenges. The first two guys won at least 9 games their second years and the third guy won his bowl game, got Spencer Rattler to transfer, and likely as a result of the second point is projected ahead of us in all the early forecasts I could find.

True. All CFB coaches are experiencing similar challenges but key words that cause your shot to miss “their second years”. Reminder, we beat both second year 9 win coaches. 

Since were speculating on QBs….Does a healthy Nix win us two additional games therefore squelching the whining of our first year HC haters??? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

True. All CFB coaches are experiencing similar challenges but key words that cause your shot to miss “their second years”. Reminder, we beat both second year 9 win coaches. 

Since were speculating on QBs….Does a healthy Nix win us two additional games therefore squelching the whining of our first year HC haters??? 

And those two wins were great. But they still won 9 and 10 games respectively--since OM didn't have to play Georgia I can count that as 9 wins equivalent for us. If we go 9-4 this year, great! Harsin will deserve a lot of credit, possibly SEC CotY.

Edited by AUwent

45 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

So… that means he was 2nd on the depth chart.  And started 11 or 12 games in a row.

Didn’t realize he took over so early in the season.  Hopefully he recovers from his procedure and get to working out.  

• Like 1