Malik Willis

abw0004

What a class act. Wish the former administration would have recognized what they had. Will be pulling for him wherever he ends up.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, WVR said:

What a class act. Wish the former administration would have recognized what they had. Will be pulling for him wherever he ends up.

He stated he wasn’t mature enough at the time he left AU. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

He stated he wasn’t mature enough at the time he left AU. 

Feel like that might not have been an issue with a different coach. Maybe with a different approach?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing,?  Got his whole freakin' suitcase laid out right there in the street and pulls out some garment still brand new in the bag and gives it away...who does THAT???  Compassion on whole different level. 

• Like 1

Man that’s really cool. I was pulling for him anyways but this really gets me onboard with him. Well done sir. 

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Not sure where to put this but is well worth it.  Must watch:

this lifts my heart it in fact makes my heart shine.

5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing,?  Got his whole freakin' suitcase laid out right there in the street and pulls out some garment still brand new in the bag and gives it away...who does THAT???  Compassion on whole different level. 

i am NOT knocking mr willis but cam has been doing this for years. and i am willing to bet my two bedroom starter house he is not the only one from auburn university to do so. when you are homeless on these man streets and you have no where to go and your stomach hurts because you are so hungry. a;so a lot of these people have mental issues and normally the only help they get is jail. this is in fact true and the calhoun county sheriff even came out and said about a year ago most of his inmates need medical care and not jail. apologies power i went off on a rant when i was agreeing with you.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Didba said:

Feel like that might not have been an issue with a different coach. Maybe with a different approach?

I don't think so.  I think it was just a maturity issue which time can only really help.

"In this profile by NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread, Willis says his attitude about watching film is what (rightfully) led Malzahn to eliminate him from the QB competition:

During a break between Senior Bowl interviews with NFL clubs, Willis acknowledged something he’s having to own up to in those meetings: His attitude toward watching film at Auburn was at the root of his two-year stretch on the bench. He knew the playbook and the responsibilities of his position, but he took no real interest in studying defenses or the intricacies of other positions in the AU offense. It culminated with Malzahn informing him, following spring practice in 2019, that he would not even be considered in the quarterback competition. Malzahn didn’t specifically say Willis’ lack of commitment in the film room was the reason, but …

“He didn’t have to. I knew,” Willis said. 'I was so immature. I had just played really well in the spring game, but I learned the hard way that the spring game doesn’t matter. I decided after that meeting that I had to be better, but I needed to find somewhere else to play and find someone to help me get where I needed to go.'"

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think so.  I think it was just a maturity issue which time can only really help.

"In this profile by NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread, Willis says his attitude about watching film is what (rightfully) led Malzahn to eliminate him from the QB competition:

During a break between Senior Bowl interviews with NFL clubs, Willis acknowledged something he’s having to own up to in those meetings: His attitude toward watching film at Auburn was at the root of his two-year stretch on the bench. He knew the playbook and the responsibilities of his position, but he took no real interest in studying defenses or the intricacies of other positions in the AU offense. It culminated with Malzahn informing him, following spring practice in 2019, that he would not even be considered in the quarterback competition. Malzahn didn’t specifically say Willis’ lack of commitment in the film room was the reason, but …

“He didn’t have to. I knew,” Willis said. 'I was so immature. I had just played really well in the spring game, but I learned the hard way that the spring game doesn’t matter. I decided after that meeting that I had to be better, but I needed to find somewhere else to play and find someone to help me get where I needed to go.'"

I don’t think anyone starts over Nix that season but imagine a world where we have 60% of the 2020 Willis with that 2019 team. Whew

I'm ashamed he went here. Watching him throw the ball......seeing what we had......man

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm ashamed he went here. Watching him throw the ball......seeing what we had......man

What's to be ashamed about? His talent was recognized by the previous staff and he was given a scholarship. Once here, he couldn't cut it. To his credit, after he moved on he recognized his failings, improved his attitude and became a success. That's not an unusual sequence of events in a young man's life, athlete or not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think I would be ashamed.  We were the only D1 school to even offer him at quarterback (Virginia Tech had him at defensive back).  Sometimes kids can't get out of their own way with things like maturity.  I look at it like Byron Cowart.  He left for the same reasons, but I wouldn't blame Rodney Garner.  Sometimes this adversity is what helps people mature.

:batman-we-fall-so-we-can-learn-to-pick-ourselves-up.gif.156b4bf4a01322ebcaa83f4fe51dec39.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I agree about that bro, but I am glad he got a different scenario. One, he would have never had the opportunity over here. Two, he seemed to have matured immensely. I love the way he carries himself in interviews and based on these acts it is 100 genuine. That in itself will have him go up on the draft boards despite concerns from some GMs. Teams love high quality guys at the QB position and if you have the skillset too, it is a plus. I believe the RW effect plays dividends to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

He took the high road, Bo Nix was going to start here regardless of who was in our QB room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

find someone to help me get where I needed to go.'"

Roger that, I was thinking more of a hard nosed disciplinarian would have maybe had a different impact on Willis, but from your quotes it doesn't appear that way but that last line makes me wonder a bit. It implies that Gus wasn't helping him, I mean you can't make a kid watch film but I dunno, I don't have any experience in that regard.  How to get a kid to watch film, or rather how to get a kid to "get" that he MUST watch film.  @bigbird and/or any other coaches... was this ever an issue you had to deal with?  

Lord knows we had tons of film watch at my high school.  Had a whole section of assistants devoted to cutting up film from games for us to watch.  I never watched that shiz though, too busy chasing tail.

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree about that bro, but I am glad he got a different scenario. One, he would have never had the opportunity over here. Two, he seemed to have matured immensely. I love the way he carries himself in interviews and based on these acts it is 100 genuine. That in itself will have him go up on the draft boards despite concerns from some GMs. Teams love high quality guys at the QB position and if you have the skillset too, it is a plus. I believe the RW effect plays dividends to that.

Yes. You are seeing it like me. Now I feel we are actually very similar and we prefer to just deal in fact. And I have no facts to back this feeling but I just think he has people in his life that are very smart who know to say anything different to what he says now wouldn't do anything but hurt him, and the way he's handling it actually helps him. 

I could easily see if this was me in that position my mom would tell me to not even speak on the unfairness and move on. Then this result she would say how God will take things the devil use to try to hurt you to actually help you.

But Bo was going to play here no matter what. Just seeing the huge gap in talent......there's no way you tell this guy he isn't even going to play for a guy that can't even complete a pass over 10 yards consistently.

If he was a cancer of some sort maybe but just because he's not watching film the way you want and he's a sophomore? I don't buy it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think I would be ashamed.  We were the only D1 school to even offer him at quarterback (Virginia Tech had him at defensive back).  Sometimes kids can't get out of their own way with things like maturity.  I look at it like Byron Cowart.  He left for the same reasons, but I wouldn't blame Rodney Garner.  Sometimes this adversity is what helps people mature.

:batman-we-fall-so-we-can-learn-to-pick-ourselves-up.gif.156b4bf4a01322ebcaa83f4fe51dec39.gif

I just don't buy the stories. Bo had attitude problems and stuff himself but they played him.......

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What's to be ashamed about? His talent was recognized by the previous staff and he was given a scholarship. Once here, he couldn't cut it. To his credit, after he moved on he recognized his failings, improved his attitude and became a success. That's not an unusual sequence of events in a young man's life, athlete or not.

Couldn't cut it.....ok

But let me not make this negative. Super happy for this guy. What a story. Many of the fan base was saying move him to another position and here he is will be the first QB drafted. Wow

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just don't buy the stories. Bo had attitude problems and stuff himself but they played him.......

So I can better understand your point of view, what do you mean by you don't buy the stories?

If we could've kept him around the last two seasons may have played out drastically differently and Gus may still be employed here. This wasn't like Woody Barrett or Chayil Garnett leaving. This guy is a first round talent. Oh well. Glad Willis found his path and is reaping the rewards. Hopefully our success rate with HS QB's increases going forward