Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

Quick Quotes: Bryan Harsin on Auburn's first day of spring practice

ByNATHAN KING 31 minutes ago

Auburn QB's get to work in spring

harsin-with-qbs.jpg

AUBURN, Alabama — Football is back on the Plains.

Auburn opened spring practices Monday, with the Tigers wrapping up their first session on a sunny day at the outdoor practice field — the first of 15 practices, culminating with the A-Day spring game April 9.

Bryan Harsin recapped Day 1 of spring work in the evening. Here's a rundown of what he 

Harsin says spring ball "feels like it did a few years ago — just normal."

• On the first day of practice: "I thought we took advantage of it. We worked on the basics: blocking and tackling."

• Harsin was pleased with how the coaching staff hustled. He was glad for the team to get done on time."

• Harsin said the team is much stronger after winter workouts. 

• Said this group is coming along quickly with the basics.

• Freshman safety Caleb Wooden had a scoop-and-score and an interception today. "Talk about a first impression."

• Donovan Kaufman had a forced fumble.

• Jeremiah Wright is now officially back on the O-line: "It was good to see him out there."

• Cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett "went really hard."

• Harsin is asked how quickly the QB battle will progress: "Probably not as quickly as everyone else wants."

• Harsin says the quarterback reps will change from day to day. Everyone will get an opportunity with the first- or second-team offense early in spring practices.

• On new defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding, Harsin says he's a "great communicator. ... He's always searching for something to get better at."

• Harsin says he constantly has conversations with his coaching staff talking about how they've improved recently as coaches and people.

• On the fiasco when he was on vacation in Mexico, Harsin said he still tried to prioritize his family and them getting to "recharge. ... Because they go through this stuff, too."

• There's open competition at "every position," Harsin said.

• Harsin: "COVID was hard. It was hard doing things (as a staff) we normally do." Says it was difficult to build chemistry as a team when they were restricted on how they could gather, how much he could meet with families, etc.

• Harsin on Auburn's paintball trip a couple weeks ago: "That was really fun until the last game, when the team decided the coaching staff was the enemy." 

• Harsin on promoted offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau: "Low ego, high output."

Harsin is asked about the offseason drama at Auburn: "I don't really see the value, at this point, of looking back in the rearview mirror. I'm a guy that wants to move forward and get better."

• There were more positives than negatives during the offseason drama, Harsin said. "There were (players) that stepped up and led." Said players organized their own meetings, and certain players decided to come back to the team during that stretch.

• Is the "treachery" still out there in regards to Auburn's upper leadership? Harsin: "I'm not looking for it."

• Harsin on the current problems in major college football, that he says extends to far more programs than just Auburn: "Some people, they take it too far. But you know what the problem is? They have no problem with that."

• On Shedrick Jackson's return: "I wanted Shed back. I think his best football is ahead of him."

• On Ja'Varrius Johnson: "He could have been more productive last year, and he should have been." Says the coaching staff wants to do a better job of getting him involved in the offense this season.

• What did Harsin's first year in the SEC teach him? "Finish strong."

1COMMENTS

• Harsin says last season "there were plenty of things that were self-inflicted that we can get better at — that we can coach better."

• Harsin hints at more transfers additions post spring: "We're going to bring other guys in eventually, because we need to."

Please 

• Harsin says spring ball "feels like it did a few years ago — just normal."

• On the first day of practice: "I thought we took advantage of it. We worked on the basics: blocking and tackling."

• Harsin was pleased with how the coaching staff hustled. He was glad for the team to get done on time."

• Harsin said the team is much stronger after winter workouts. 

• Said this group is coming along quickly with the basics.

• Freshman safety Caleb Wooden had a scoop-and-score and an interception today. "Talk about a first impression."

• Donovan Kaufman had a forced fumble.

• Jeremiah Wright is now officially back on the O-line: "It was good to see him out there."

• Cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett "went really hard."

• Harsin is asked how quickly the QB battle will progress: "Probably not as quickly as everyone else wants."

• Harsin says the quarterback reps will change from day to day. Everyone will get an opportunity with the first- or second-team offense early in spring practices.

• On new defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding, Harsin says he's a "great communicator. ... He's always searching for something to get better at."

• Harsin says he constantly has conversations with his coaching staff talking about how they've improved recently as coaches and people.

• On the fiasco when he was on vacation in Mexico, Harsin said he still tried to prioritize his family and them getting to "recharge. ... Because they go through this stuff, too."

• There's open competition at "every position," Harsin said.

• Harsin: "COVID was hard. It was hard doing things (as a staff) we normally do." Says it was difficult to build chemistry as a team when they were restricted on how they could gather, how much he could meet with families, etc.

• Harsin on Auburn's paintball trip a couple weeks ago: "That was really fun until the last game, when the team decided the coaching staff was the enemy." 

• Harsin on promoted offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau: "Low ego, high output."

Harsin is asked about the offseason drama at Auburn: "I don't really see the value, at this point, of looking back in the rearview mirror. I'm a guy that wants to move forward and get better."

• There were more positives than negatives during the offseason drama, Harsin said. "There were (players) that stepped up and led." Said players organized their own meetings, and certain players decided to come back to the team during that stretch.

• Is the "treachery" still out there in regards to Auburn's upper leadership? Harsin: "I'm not looking for it."

• Harsin on the current problems in major college football, that he says extends to far more programs than just Auburn: "Some people, they take it too far. But you know what the problem is? They have no problem with that."

• On Shedrick Jackson's return: "I wanted Shed back. I think his best football is ahead of him."

• On Ja'Varrius Johnson: "He could have been more productive last year, and he should have been." Says the coaching staff wants to do a better job of getting him involved in the offense this season.

• What did Harsin's first year in the SEC teach him? "Finish strong."

1COMMENTS

• Harsin says last season "there were plenty of things that were self-inflicted that we can get better at — that we can coach better."

• Harsin hints at more transfers additions post spring: "We're going to bring other guys in eventually, because we need to."

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, toddc said:

What did Harsin's first year in the SEC teach him? "Finish strong."

Great idea! Now lets put it into practice.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

ok so I'm not sure why I didn't hear about this but ... jar jar is out of the portal and back with us? that's relatively huge for this receiving corp

Yeah, been working out with the team this whole time

• Like 1

I'm happy that Coach Harsin isn't going to dwell on the noise that happened recently. He said he is focused on the present and future and not the drama that unfolded. The old saying "Move forward and don't dwell on the past. There's a reason the windshield is alot bigger than the rearview mirror." WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Happy his assistant coaching staff finished on time? Really?? Wow, just wow!

lucy-weird.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

This is the quote in context. There is no “wow” here. 

Harsin was pleased with how the coaching staff hustled. He was glad for the team to get done on time."

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Really 24 your love for Harsin is overwhelming

• Love 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Really 24 your love for Harsin is overwhelming

Perhaps, but one must admit that finishing practice at the time practice is supposed to finish is not a thing that would normally be a bragging point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Perhaps, but one must admit that finishing practice at the time practice is supposed to finish is not a thing that would normally be a bragging point.

Thanks 24 just glad your showing the love...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Thanks 24 just glad your showing the love...

Love is earned, not gifted. The love won't come until and unless a number of things are reversed. The losing streak is snapped, recruiting above 9th in the SEC, transfer portal additions ranked better than 29th, player retention in the portal doing better than losing 20 while gaining five, an end to fruit-basket turnover in the coaching staff....

To date, there's not a lot of reason to show any love.

• Like 1

Love is earned, not gifted. The love won't come until and unless a number of things are reversed. The losing streak is snapped, recruiting above 9th in the SEC, transfer portal additions ranked better than 29th, player retention in the portal doing better than losing 20 while gaining five, an end to fruit-basket turnover in the coaching staff....

How bout showing some optimism then?It's good for the soul...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Have you ever ran a practice? Rarely do things ever end right on time.  A lot of the time periods will get reset, clocks will get paused, and drills/work will be rerun.  Ending on time indicates that each position coach was organized and run effectively enough to end together.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How bout showing some optimism then?It's good for the soul...

I haven't seen anything measurable to be optimistic about. While it's too early for predictions, unless there are major positive events in spring practice or fall camp, I expect AU to finish 4-8 next year, maybe 5-7 if we get a good bounce against Mizzou or Miss. State.

The most positive thing that's happened since October is the hiring of Ike Hillyard. When naming a position coach is the highlight of your off-season, the pickings are mighty slim.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yes. They ended on time.

I figured, but obviously you're a much better coach.

• Haha 2

Is finishing a practice on time something to celebrate? No.

If attention to detail, precision, and everyone doing their jobs to the letter are a major focus, then it is worth broadly acknowledging a successful effort with one quick quote? Sure, why not?

Is any of it something to piss and moan about? FFS, get a life. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I figured, but obviously you're a much better coach.

I do know that ending a practice when it's scheduled to end has a lot of benefits and dragging it out late is a drag on everybody concerned.

I do know that ending a practice when it's scheduled to end has a lot of benefits and dragging it out late is a drag on everybody concerned.

Absolutely. 

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How would us as fans know what a coach wants out of his first prsctices? 

Harsin is a coach on discipline and attention to details and efficiently. And I did hear one media member mention that they noticed the practices were more organized and showed more energy and players and coaches went from station to station than last years practices. 

So im not going judge Harsin if time efficiency from coaches/players was important to him. We're being picky. 

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Thanks again 24 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Have you ever ran a practice? Rarely do things ever end right on time.  A lot of the time, periods will get reset, clocks will get paused, and drills/work will be rerun.  Ending on time indicates that each position coach was organized and run effectively enough to end together.  

Plus new coaches as well as coaches having new positions OC/DC can take time to work together. Surprised they did finish on time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So im not going judge Harsin if time efficiency from coaches/players was important to him. We're being picky. 

It's supposed to be important to him. Making efficient use of time be some sort of brag-point seems to me to be desperately seeking something positive to hang hopes on.

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Thanks again 24 

You're entirely welcome. I'd rather be compared to 24 than several other posters here who will not be named.

Edited by Mikey