Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

7 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Agree with the exception of the Iron Bowl.  I mean, AU stymied the uat offense for 59 minutes or so & then ran out of gas in a 4-OT game.

Indeed. However, Auburn's defensive coordinator in that game took a pay cut to go elsewhere as soon as the season ended. Someone needs to explain how that was a positive thing for AU and while they are at it, explain why Derrick Mason took that unusual step.

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Lets talk about some things Harsin has done that are positive.

Beefed up the recruiting staff by a lot.

Offense utilized TE's and backs in passing attack.

Offense actually threw slants. 

Yet, the recruiting showed zero improvement. 9th in the SEC, and will be out of the top 20 nationally when the basketball player is removed from the football list and signs his basketball scholarship.

TE's used more but more games were lost. How is that a positive?

Threw slants? But we lost more games, so what does that matter?

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Indeed. However, Auburn's defensive coordinator in that game took a pay cut to go elsewhere as soon as the season ended. Someone needs to explain how that was a positive thing for AU and while they are at it, explain why Derrick Mason took that unusual step. ... ...

Facts should be your friend: 

AU's 2021 season ended on 12/28 with the Birmingham Bowl loss. Mason resigned his DC position on 1/22 and addressed the team about his decision to resign saying he was stepping away from coaching for a while.  Mason wasn't hired at Okie St until 1/26.  

So, to reiterate:  Mason didn't bolt "as soon as the season ended," it was the better part of a month later when he left.  Mason didn't immediately "take a pay cut" upon leaving AU either to go to Stillwater.  It was 4 days after he had resigned that he was hired at Okie St.  I don't know for sure, but I would hazard a guess that all corresponding asst coaches pay at Okie St are across the board lower than at AU.  So, the fact that he's getting paid less should not be a surprise.   If you really want to know why Mason did what he did, here's a thought -- why don't you ask him?  

As for positive things:  AU's defense in 2021 under Mason was wildly inconsistent.  I'm expecting a better defense in 2022 under Schmedding.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

AU's 2021 season ended on 12/28 with the Birmingham Bowl loss. Mason resigned his DC position on 1/22 and addressed the team about his decision to resign saying he was stepping away from coaching for a while.  Mason wasn't hired at Okie St until 1/26.  

So, to reiterate:  Mason didn't bolt "as soon as the season ended," it was the better part of a month later when he left.  Mason didn't immediately "take a pay cut" upon leaving AU either to go to Stillwater.  It was 4 days after he had resigned that he was hired at Okie St.  I don't know for sure, but I would hazard a guess that all corresponding asst coaches pay at Okie St are across the board lower than at AU.  So, the fact that he's getting paid less should not be a surprise.   If you really want to know why Mason did what he did, here's a thought -- why don't you ask him?  

As for positive things:  AU's defense in 2021 under Mason was wildly inconsistent.  I'm expecting a better defense in 2022 under Schmedding.  

Okay. He waited 3 weeks to announce it.

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

If that's how you measure manhood, then no wonder why dealing with you feels like dealing with a little boy. 

You can even type it, as you’re reading it. Ready? Now type:  Harsin was a bad hire. If you wanna really get daring, I mean if you want to really leap out there way out of your comfort zone, you can even type: I was wrong, Auburn could’ve done a lot better than Harsin.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

Mason said he left the team because he didn’t like the way Harsin treated his players.

I wonder if that’s why Harsin is struggling so much keeping players on the roster, not getting players out of the portal, not getting players from junior college, not keeping assistant coaches, or is it just that he’s a bad coach?

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Indeed. However, Auburn's defensive coordinator in that game took a pay cut to go elsewhere as soon as the season ended. Someone needs to explain how that was a positive thing for AU and while they are at it, explain why Derrick Mason took that unusual step.

Yet, the recruiting showed zero improvement. 9th in the SEC, and will be out of the top 20 nationally when the basketball player is removed from the football list and signs his basketball scholarship.

TE's used more but more games were lost. How is that a positive?

Threw slants? But we lost more games, so what does that matter?

Mason didn't take a pay cut. He is still under contract at Vandy. Whomever employs him will make up the difference in salary of what he was making at Vandy.

• Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Mason didn't take a pay cut. He is still under contract at Vandy. Whomever employs him will make up the difference in salary of what he was making at Vandy.

Then why did we pay him so much?

7 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

It was said before he resigned from Auburn that he would be going to OSU. 

Whatever happened, it happened sooner than we found out about it. 

35 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He was making around 3 mil at Vandy.

No, why did we pay him more than OSU?

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No, why did we pay him more than OSU?

I have no idea. But Vandy suffers because of that. Say he was making 3 mil a year at Vandy. AU pays him 1.5, Vandy pays the other 1.5.. Say he makes 1 mil a yr at Okie St, Vandy then has to pay 2 mil. But either way Mason gets 3 mil a year,  so he didn't take a pay cut to leave AU

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

Ah I see we’re still arguing about the guy who was fired from Vanderbilt and why we will be worse without him. 

Of course, anything to dig at Harsin

Edited by NWALA Tiger

9 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Mason didn't immediately "take a pay cut" upon leaving AU either to go to Stillwater.  It was 4 days after he had resigned that he was hired at Okie St. 

Four whole days? Wow!

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Four whole days? Wow!

Yes, 4 whole days.  And it's been 2 months since Mason left AU.  Ready to accept the facts & move on, or are we going to be continually subjected to you moaning & groaning about Mason leaving the way you're still butt-hurt about the previous head coach?  Let it go, man.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Four whole days? Wow!

And on a positive note you, no wait, you will find something wrong with that too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You can even type it, as you’re reading it. Ready? Now type:  Harsin was a bad hire. If you wanna really get daring, I mean if you want to really leap out there way out of your comfort zone, you can even type: I was wrong, Auburn could’ve done a lot better than Harsin.

krhhamm-i-was-in-the-pool.gif

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

I express no such sentiment because I see no positives. First losing record in eight years. Recruiting pedestrian at best. Not competitive with our competition in the transfer portal. (Rated 29th, while five of the top ten are other SEC teams) At current count, 21 gone to the portal and 5 brought in, so player retention is not acceptable. Assistant coach fruit-basket turnover.

Had the season started 0-5 and ended with 6-2, I'd see that as positive. However, the reverse happened. The longer Harsin coached, the worse the team got. So no, I'm not seeing anything measurable in the way of positives.

What are some of those many positives you claim to see?

We at least have had a semi competent offense for one. That should be glaringly obvious.  For another, we actually look coached instead of being lost. (Admittedly, this was much more obvious at the start of the season, but still obvious later on.) For another, we clearly have a coach that cares about the fundamentals and technique of football, not just his offense. For another, we have a coach that is actually willing to change things, like how he approaches things (zooming with parents now?). For another, we have a coach that preaches hard work and grind; Gus had players dancing on the sidelines while we were losing the game. 

You have listed the current negatives and reasons for concern. And they are valid. They do not, however, make all these positives suddenly disappear. You just choose to ignore them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Four whole days? Wow!

Wasn’t this you just a few pages ago?

“You should have been accurate instead of exaggerating to try to make a point. There can be no truth that's surrounded by false statements.”

It’s kinda your thing to be as hyper specific as possible so you can find the smallest thing to point to as false in somebody’s statement just so you can ignore their argument in its entirety. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Wasn’t this you just a few pages ago?

“You should have been accurate instead of exaggerating to try to make a point. There can be no truth that's surrounded by false statements.”

It’s kinda your thing to be as hyper specific as possible so you can find the smallest thing to point to as false in somebody’s statement just so you can ignore their argument in its entirety. 

In the realm of coaches changing jobs, announcing publicly after four days means the deal was done before he ever quit the old job. But of course, you know this.

11 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Yes, 4 whole days.  And it's been 2 months since Mason left AU.  Ready to accept the facts & move on, or are we going to be continually subjected to you moaning & groaning about Mason leaving the way you're still butt-hurt about the previous head coach?  Let it go, man.  

NEVVVVVEEEERRRR

5 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

We at least have had a semi competent offense for one. That should be glaringly obvious.  For another, we actually look coached instead of being lost. (Admittedly, this was much more obvious at the start of the season, but still obvious later on.) For another, we clearly have a coach that cares about the fundamentals and technique of football, not just his offense. For another, we have a coach that is actually willing to change things, like how he approaches things (zooming with parents now?). For another, we have a coach that preaches hard work and grind; Gus had players dancing on the sidelines while we were losing the game. 

You have listed the current negatives and reasons for concern. And they are valid. They do not, however, make all these positives suddenly disappear. You just choose to ignore them. 

That semi-competent offense scored 3 points per game more than was scored the previous year. That's not a significant difference, particularly considering most of the offensive playmakers returned with another year of age and experience on them.

These several other things you consider to be positives? I'm putting them in the folder that says "So what until we start winning more games than we lose".

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That semi-competent offense scored 3 points per game more than was scored the previous year. That's not a significant difference, particularly considering most of the offensive playmakers returned with another year of age and experience on them.

These several other things you consider to be positives? I'm putting them in the folder that says "So what until we start winning more games than we lose".

Do u actually miss Double Bubbles play  calls?