Republican-controlled states have higher murder rates than Democratic ones: study

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Yes, criminals are typically people. 

And when everyone has easy access to guns that makes it very easy for criminals to get them and use them for crimes. 

Every 1st world country on earth has criminals. America is alone and unique in the high level of gun deaths and violence. 

Defunding police, lenient sentencing, liberal courts = bad s***.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Defunding police,

Isn't happening. 

Outside of a few very specific cases in a very small number of cities that mostly reversed their experiment, "Defunding police" hasn't happened and isn't supported by Democrats. 

In most cities Police budgets have been on an ever increasing trajectory. 

lenient sentencing,

There's some conversation to be had here. 

There are potentially violent criminals that are released too soon or only given probation then they've shown continued willingness to defy the rules and the law. 

I would point out that in many cases, we're releasing criminals early because we have overcrowded and underfunded prison systems without the resources to build more. America has one of the largest prison populations on earth and despite decades of "tough on crime" approaches, we haven't seen that dissuade people from going into a life of crime. 

liberal courts = bad s***.

As the statistics show, Republican states with Republican courts struggle to get a handle on gun violence too. 

The reality is...conservative or liberal..tough on crime or soft on crime...it doesn't matter.....when large amounts of guns are put into circulation then you will begin to have a large amount of shootings and gun deaths. 

America is unique in that our population has decided that a right to have easy access to guns is more important than the lives or our citizens. People will  fight like hell to make sure an embryo isn't aborted, but we kind of shrug our shoulders at the possibility of the kid growing up and getting gunned down in school or on the street...then it's just a 'price we pay for out freedom to own high powered weaponry' and the only solution is 'thoughts and prayers for the victims family '

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The facts are indisputable.  Who has more control over cities?  The Governor or Mayor?  Just another reason the media bias is so bad.  It was an article written to dispute the Republican claim that crime is soaring in Democratic Run CITIES. 

It looks like Tulsa OK will have to get its act together.

ETA:  expand the quoted text to see the ruling political party for each of these cities.

Who has more control over gun laws, governors or mayors?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So if a criminal breaks into my house I have options right? I can shoot his ass or let him take whatever he wants including the death of my family. That fair? 

So what option will you choose? (this question is not just for McLoofy)

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, aubaseball said:

Article is complete bullsh*t.   It’s completely based on per capita and not overall numbers.   Chicago, LA, St. Louis, NYC, Baltimore and Detroit have more murders per year than all the republicans run cities in the entire country.    

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

:laugh:

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Who has more control over gun laws, governors or mayors?

Believe it or not guns are not responsible for the murder rate.  A gun has never killed anyone.  Gun laws are enforce by the police and the city police are directly under the direction of the Mayor.

I still haven't seen anyone give a rebuttal to why Republican led STATES have higher rates of violent crime. 

All the conservatives on here just ignored the article and then went ":Well Democratic CITIES have high crime" Checkmate Libturds" 

Yeah...large cities have more population and higher crime....only 26 of the 100 most populated cities in America have Republican mayors, so of course democratic cities have the most high crime.....cause almost all major cities are Democrat.

That doesn't explain away the high crime in the Republican led rural states though. (actually it does)

Funny, you actually had it figured out (see highlighted text above) yet dismissed it. :comfort:

Yes crime in urban areas drive state crime data. See below: 

States with the Highest Murder Rates

Louisiana has the highest murder rate in the U.S. of 14.4 murders per 100,000 residents. Murders were more than twice as common in Louisiana as they were nationwide. Murders are disproportionately concentrated in urban areas, especially New Orleans. New Orleans has a murder rate of about 37 per 100,000 residents, one of the highest of any U.S. city, followed by Baton Rouge with a murder rate of 35.1.

Alabama has the second-highest murder rate of 12.9 murders per 100,000 residents. This is also more than twice the rate nationwide. In Alabama, Birmingham has the most gun violence and, therefore, the highest murder rate of 37.1. 

Mississippi has the third-highest murder rate in the United States. Mississippi’s murder rate is 12.7 murders per 100,000 residents. According to the latest FBI data, Jackson had the most murders in 2018 of 78, which is a murder rate of 47 murders per 100,000 residents. Brookhaven has the highest murder rate in the state of 57.7 murders per 100,000 people.

Missouri has the fourth-highest murder rate of 11.3 murders per 100,000 residents. Murders in Missouri are disproportionately concentrated in metropolitan areas – about 90% of murders committed in 2017 in Missouri were committed in metropolitan areas. St. Louis and Kansas City are two of the most dangerous cities in the United States. In 2017, St. Louis had 205 murders and Kansas City had 150.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, creed said:

Wow...just wow and your summarization skills. :dunno: 

If you doubted it before, these stats should make it clear— if you’re in a room with a Republican, watch your back.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Isn't happening. 

Yes it is absolutely happening. Minneapolis, New York City, Chicago, Portland, Austin, Baltimore, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, to name a few.

There's some conversation to be had here. 

There are potentially violent criminals that are released too soon or only given probation then they've shown continued willingness to defy the rules and the law. 

I would point out that in many cases, we're releasing criminals early because we have overcrowded and underfunded prison systems without the resources to build more. America has one of the largest prison populations on earth and despite decades of "tough on crime" approaches, we haven't seen that dissuade people from going into a life of crime. 

We agree and reducing sentencing guidelines for drug offenses is a start. Aides in overcrowding and focuses on violent crime.

As the statistics show, Republican states with Republican courts struggle to get a handle on gun violence too. 

As i pointed out, state statistics don't tell the whole story. You have to dig deeper to understand the why. Alabama is a prime example with Birmingham at a 37.1 crime rate driving state stats thru the roof. And for the record, Birmingham isn't run by a Republican. 

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Funny, you actually had it figured out (see highlighted text above) yet dismissed it. :comfort:

Yes crime in urban areas drive state crime data. See below: 

States with the Highest Murder Rates

Louisiana has the highest murder rate in the U.S. of 14.4 murders per 100,000 residents. Murders were more than twice as common in Louisiana as they were nationwide. Murders are disproportionately concentrated in urban areas, especially New Orleans. New Orleans has a murder rate of about 37 per 100,000 residents, one of the highest of any U.S. city, followed by Baton Rouge with a murder rate of 35.1.

Alabama has the second-highest murder rate of 12.9 murders per 100,000 residents. This is also more than twice the rate nationwide. In Alabama, Birmingham has the most gun violence and, therefore, the highest murder rate of 37.1. 

Mississippi has the third-highest murder rate in the United States. Mississippi’s murder rate is 12.7 murders per 100,000 residents. According to the latest FBI data, Jackson had the most murders in 2018 of 78, which is a murder rate of 47 murders per 100,000 residents. Brookhaven has the highest murder rate in the state of 57.7 murders per 100,000 people.

Missouri has the fourth-highest murder rate of 11.3 murders per 100,000 residents. Murders in Missouri are disproportionately concentrated in metropolitan areas – about 90% of murders committed in 2017 in Missouri were committed in metropolitan areas. St. Louis and Kansas City are two of the most dangerous cities in the United States. In 2017, St. Louis had 205 murders and Kansas City had 150.

Ok...so follow me here. 

These high population centers in Republican controlled states have higher murder and violent crime rates because....why? 

Are we saying you believe it has nothing to do with the fact that these Red states on the whole have high poverty, low education, low quality healthcare, and fewer social welfare programs? 

You're saying Republican State leadership and policy has nothing to do with what happens in the large cities that reside in those states?

14 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Ok...so follow me here. 

Moving Goalpost GIF - Moving Goalpost Argument - Discover & Share GIFs

14 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

These high population centers in Republican controlled states have higher murder and violent crime rates because....why? Failing schools/lack of school choice, no father figure in the home, moral decline in society. That's a start.

Are we saying you believe it has nothing to do with the fact that these Red states on the whole have high poverty, low education, low quality healthcare, and fewer social welfare programs? Those things are indeed a deterrence, not a death sentence.

You're saying Republican State leadership and policy has nothing to do with what happens in the large cities that reside in those states? I would not say nothing, but i wouldn't overstate it either.

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Yes it is absolutely happening.

Minneapolis,

Nopehttps://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-police-spending-rises-as-defund-movement-fades/600126143/#:~:text=Mayor Jacob Frey and the,Floyd was killed in 2020.

New York City,  

Nope. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/nyregion/budget-adams-police-nyc.html

Chicago,  

nopehttps://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/no-question-lightfoot-says-chicago-police-budget-will-increase-in-new-fiscal-year/2588315/

Portland, 

Nope https://www.opb.org/article/2021/11/03/portland-mayor-ted-wheeler-proposal-police-funding-increase/

Austin, 

Nope https://www.kvue.com/article/news/politics/austin-police-department-budget-fiscal-year-2021-22-austin-city-council/269-9792906d-6a6b-4ec2-901f-ae4cf4f7ab87

Baltimore, 

Nope https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-ci-baltimore-budget-approved-20210608-ib3k7vbnajadfovvloigxy7mvq-story.html

Los Angeles, 

Yes, in 2020. BUT In 2021, funding was restored. https://ktla.com/news/local-news/police-commission-votes-to-approve-12-increase-in-lapd-budget-for-2022/

Milwaukee, 

Yes. Funding has been decreaseinghttps://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2021/11/05/milwaukee-common-council-adopts-1-76-billion-2022-budget-socks-away-funds-pension-spike/8559237002/

Philadelphia 

Nope https://www.phillypressreview.com/politics/philadelphia/city-council-approves-philly-s-2022-budget/article_20195b44-df2d-11eb-8b8e-b7a1255d6cb6.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Believe it or not guns are not responsible for the murder rate.  A gun has never killed anyone.  Gun laws are enforce by the police and the city police are directly under the direction of the Mayor.

Yes, we don't charge guns with murder anymore than we charge knives for murder. ("Guns don't murder" is a stupid, banal meme that is irrelevant not to mention intellectually insulting.)

But - believe it or not - the evidence demonstrates prevalence of guns in a given population is correlated with higher murder rates (caused by guns) in that population. 

And Mayors are not responsible for the prevalence of guns (if anything, just the opposite).  The prevalence of guns is a phenomenon related to state laws - including states other than the cities home state  - which makes local (city) regulation and enforcement pretty much moot.

Edited by homersapien
  • Thanks 1

I literally just gave these dickbags the numbers. 

Also, what kind of ******* moron would rather displace responsibility onto law enforcement and the judiciary than address the issues that lead to so many people walking around armed and with ill intent in the first place? Just kidding, I know what kind of ******* moron.

• Like 1

Yes funding increases are again happening in some cities after defunding proved ineffective. I should have stated as much. But, this is again where one has to dig deeper to reveal what these increases entail. The police force itself doesn't necessarily get more funding.

For example: Left-wing activists have mobilized around the rallying cry “Defund the Police,” demanding that funds be diverted from police departments to be spent on social services that address the root causes of crime, such as poverty, unemployment, and systemic racism. Conservatives and moderates have raised concerns that reducing police funding could diminish law-enforcement response capacity at a time when violent crime is on the rise.

Many increases invest in “co-responder” programs that pair officers with social service providers. Other programs include bringing in clinicians and experts to assist on mental health and opioid overdose calls.

Edited by AUFAN78

51 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yes, we don't charge guns with murder anymore than we charge knives for murder. ("Guns don't murder" is a stupid, banal meme that is irrelevant not to mention intellectually insulting.)

But - believe it or not - the evidence demonstrates prevalence of guns in a given population is correlated with higher murder rates (caused by guns) in that population. 

And Mayors are not responsible for the prevalence of guns (if anything, just the opposite).  The prevalence of guns is a phenomenon related to state laws - including states other than the cities home state  - which makes local (city) regulation and enforcement pretty much moot.

If there wasn’t that pesky 2nd Amendment you could live in utopia.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

If there wasn’t that pesky 2nd Amendment you could live in utopia.

Actually, I think the current wording of the 2nd amendment allows for sensible regulations. (BTW, I own a pistol, a shotgun and a semi-auto long rifle.  And there are many gun owners that agree with me.)

Finally, thanks for posting up to type - stupid, banal and intellectually insulting.

I appreciate self identification.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

Actually, I think the current wording of the 2nd amendment allows for sensible regulations. (BTW, I own a pistol, a shotgun and a semi-auto long rifle.  And there are many gun owners that agree with me.)

Finally, thanks for posting up to type - stupid, banal and intellectually insulting.

I appreciate self identification.

I considered the source.  Why is it that the 2nd Amendment was written in the original Bill of Rights and people, such as yourself, can’t learn to live with it the way it was written?  This has been discussed for centuries and it still stands.  It is the right to bear arms, it isn’t a requirement.

It is obvious that if you (not literally you) can’t handle a gun or are afraid you can’t secure it enough to keep it from a person that could harm themselves, like a kid, then don’t own a gun and stop trying run everybody else’s life, loof.

How would you prevent stupid people from doing harm to one another, no matter what method they use?

On 4/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, homersapien said:

What causes members of a population to think they can murder people at will and get away with it?  Point the finger at the cause.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, I_M4_AU said:

I considered the source.  Why is it that the 2nd Amendment was written in the original Bill of Rights and people, such as yourself, can’t learn to live with it the way it was written?  This has been discussed for centuries and it still stands.  It is the right to bear arms, it isn’t a requirement.

It is obvious that if you (not literally you) can’t handle a gun or are afraid you can’t secure it enough to keep it from a person that could harm themselves, like a kid, then don’t own a gun and stop trying run everybody else’s life, loof.

I have already stated that the wording is not necessarily an impediment to making the change in modern interpretation that would recognize how our country - and the reality of our current environment -  have changed in 234 years.  Such change in interpretation would be based on the preamble that contains the phrase "a well regulated militia").

If we (the SCOTUS) doesn't recognize the need for this change to modify interpretation to suit modern times (unlikely), then the amendment needs to be modified. 

Of course the cultural aspects of the conflict which involves large segments of our population who vigorously support an essentially unregulated interpretation is a different problem. 

As for the second part of your post, I said I own guns and I am not opposed to gun ownership now or in the future.

As for as your charge of "trying to run everyone's life", you know there is another amendment that allows for free speech, which means everyone can speak their opinion or even (gasp!) advocate for political change. 

Eventually - perhaps when the death rate becomes unacceptable enough - we will change the 2nd amendment to better address modern needs.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:50 PM, I_M4_AU said:

How would you prevent stupid people from doing harm to one another, no matter what method they use?

You don't.  The "Darwin effect" may be the only positive to the current U.S. gun culture.  ;D

But that certainly doesn't help all of the innocent victims.

Edited by homersapien

I see the "it's a personal choice" dipshits are still hanging around. I'm curious how it was my personal choice for my dumbass neighbor to leave his 9 mm in his truck only to return to a smashed window and no 9 mm. 

Funny thing is, all I did was provide numbers and I get accused of trying to run people's lives. Even these idiots know what those numbers mean and find reality to be rather inconvenient. 

• Like 2

^^^^^^You’re a lot like that idiot Dr. Fauci in that he provides numbers and runs people’s lives, own it.^^^^^^^

Too bad you can’t pick your neighbors, but that’s reality.