Where does Auburn need to steal a game?

aubiefifty

46 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The false  bravado blue collar shtick has to stop.  Idk what it is with Auburn fans always trying to push nonsense like that.

What's more, if it was true I'd imagine we could have attracted more than 18 kids in last years class.

Harsin doesn't help with his pointless "can use yhe elevator" bc somehow walking up a flight of stairs will make us a championship team.

Disagree that it is a useless point.  Getting to the top is not easy.  You can think it is an elevator ride that all you have to do is push a button and get on for the ride or put extra effort take the stairs and get there as fast or faster. Work to get to the top.  So why run stadiums at Jordan Hare when all you have to do is walk over to the stadium elevators and ride up? 

1 hour ago, Ausburn2 said:

So why run stadiums at Jordan Hare when all you have to do is walk over to the stadium elevators and ride up? 

Normally players run stadiums because they are being punished.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What's more, if it was true I'd imagine we could have attracted more than 18 kids in last years class

It was 17, actually. The 18th that's listed as a verbal (4* safety Donaldson) has signed a basketball scholarship with Auburn and won't be playing football. I think he's still being carried on the Rivals recruiting site as football because dropping him would drop AU out of the top 20.

Edited by Mikey
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Of course I agree, if all those things happen, we could get to 10 wins. But there's no way all those things happen. You can't use the magical, best case scenario for your prediction. I appreciate your optimism, but let's live in the real world. 

I saw you pushing @Mikeyfor a bet on overall wins/losses. I hate to bet against my beloved Auburn, but I would take the under on 10 wins all day. Because I like money. I bet you won't take this bet. 

I wasn't predicting 10 wins, I was saying that it wouldn't be unattainable so long as we beat PSU. Realistically, it's difficult to know what to expect from this season, but I would be satisfied with 8-4 as long as we don't get too embarrassed by UGA and bammer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The false  bravado blue collar shtick has to stop.  Idk what it is with Auburn fans always trying to push nonsense like that.

What's more, if it was true I'd imagine we could have attracted more than 18 kids in last years class.

Harsin doesn't help with his pointless "can use yhe elevator" bc somehow walking up a flight of stairs will make us a championship team.

There was a time when Auburn people were proud of being blue collar, hard working, and gutsy. It's not an admonition of class, but rather a mentality. Being blue collar means you're willing to get down in the dirt and work for what you get. That's what stood out to me about the appeal Robby Ashford talked about when he mentioned his meeting with Hars and why he wanted to come to Auburn.

It's the right mentality if we are to rise from the doldrums and take our place with the best in the best conference.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

More excuses. 

Kids are committing to schools (not Auburn) right now.  It's happening daily.

There’s a few schools who’s classes are probably already 70-80% complete. Texas Tech already has 20 commits

3 hours ago, Ausburn2 said:

Disagree that it is a useless point.  Getting to the top is not easy.  You can think it is an elevator ride that all you have to do is push a button and get on for the ride or put extra effort take the stairs and get there as fast or faster. Work to get to the top.  So why run stadiums at Jordan Hare when all you have to do is walk over to the stadium elevators and ride up? 

Lmao at comparing doing stadiums and other conditioning exercises with taking the stairs at the AD complex.  That's absolutely hilarious.

Taking a single flight of stairs isn't going to do a damn thing towards "getting to the top".

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

My point was blue collar is synonymous with white.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cbo said:

Of course I agree, if all those things happen, we could get to 10 wins. But there's no way all those things happen. You can't use the magical, best case scenario for your prediction. I appreciate your optimism, but let's live in the real world. 

I saw you pushing @Mikeyfor a bet on overall wins/losses. I hate to bet against my beloved Auburn, but I would take the under on 10 wins all day. Because I like money. I bet you won't take this bet. 

But would you bet over 7 wins?

11 hours ago, cbo said:

They are getting the most hype because that's pretty much all we have. You have a lot of great posts, so I am not trying to be a dick to you. But I can't even imagine having the debate about stars in 2022. 

You need playmakers on the roster to beat UGA and UA. The best player on our team is also the highest ranked recruit out of HS. Tank. 

Agreed brother. We ultimately need talent. No question about it. But look, DD and Lee Hunter were our two prized 4 stars in Gus's last class. DD has a super limited physical ceiling, and Hunter has a long way to go to get his body SEC caliber. Both can be great players, but they are limited.

Sometimes there are 3 stars, like Geriner, who may be less accomplished, but have higher ceilings. Sledge is another. He is raw, but is super muscular and his body is closer to SEC ready. That's all I'm saying. Sometimes I do think you have to trust your evaluations. But yes, gotta go after talent, and no, I'm not sure Geriner/Sledge end up better than DD/Hunter. Just think they got higher physical ceilings 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Didba said:

My point was blue collar is synonymous with white.

Oh I know.  3* too

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, au302 said:

Agreed brother. We ultimately need talent. No question about it. But look, DD and Lee Hunter were our two prized 4 stars in Gus's last class. DD has a super limited physical ceiling, and Hunter has a long way to go to get his body SEC caliber. Both can be great players, but they are limited.

Sometimes there are 3 stars, like Geriner, who may be less accomplished, but have higher ceilings. Sledge is another. He is raw, but is super muscular and his body is closer to SEC ready. That's all I'm saying. Sometimes I do think you have to trust your evaluations. But yes, gotta go after talent, and no, I'm not sure Geriner/Sledge end up better than DD/Hunter. Just think they got higher physical ceilings 

I believe u can sprinkle in the 3’s with the higher rated guys. I believe the 3s probably benefit more coming in with less hype than the top guys. Roger and Daniel Thomas probably benefited from that. I am not sure how successful your roster gonna be with 50% or more  3’s on the team. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, e808 said:

Think about it this way with not the greatest X’s and O’s Coach Auburn won 8 or 9 games  on the regular. Now imagine what could have been with better coaching. Those high rated players kept Auburn competitive outside of Georgia. Still don’t understand that. It’s like UGA has Auburns number.

Gonna need talent to compete in the SEC. There is only so much coaching up u can do. Otherwise if there is a big talent gap all things considered the more talented team will win more often than not

Yeah, but you have to have the right mindset to thrive under a guy like Harsin, and there were a lot of the players from Malzahn's time who either never would have had that mindset or else had settled into a different one too much to really fit into the culture Harsin wants to build. 

What I'm getting at is that it's not as easy as saying okay this group of assembled talent did this well with a less schematically developed coach, so all we have to do is bring in a coach who is better schematically and we'll see improvement.

That having been said, there is absolutely no doubt that we need talent to compete, and while Harsin may (or may not) be the kind of guy who can take a group of mostly 3 star talent and build them into a formidable football team (which in turn attracts higher profile talent), he is not going to be given the kind of time it would take to build the program that way. Nor should he be, at least not at Auburn.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, but you have to have the right mindset to thrive under a guy like Harsin, and there were a lot of the players from Malzahn's time who either never would have had that mindset or else had settled into a different one too much to really fit into the culture Harsin wants to build. 

What I'm getting at is that it's not as easy as saying okay this group of assembled talent did this well with a less schematically developed coach, so all we have to do is bring in a coach who is better schematically and we'll see improvement.

That having been said, there is absolutely no doubt that we need talent to compete, and while Harsin may (or may not) be the kind of guy who can take a group of mostly 3 star talent and build them into a formidable football team (which in turn attracts higher profile talent), he is not going to be given the kind of time it would take to build the program that way. Nor should he be, at least not at Auburn.

I understand the mindset but u cold have a no nonsense or players coach. Prime example would be CBP which is the opposite of CBH. Bottom line u need players and people that fit the culture u want.

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

I understand the mindset but u cold have a no nonsense or players coach. Prime example would be CBP which is the opposite of CBH. Bottom line u need players and people that fit the culture u want.

And I think--or at least I hope--we are getting there. This season might well tell the story of Bryan Harsin at Auburn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

And I think--or at least I hope--we are getting there. This season might well tell the story of Bryan Harsin at Auburn.

At this point all we can do is have talking points until the season begins. Then everyone should have clarity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I agree, it would take way too long to build an SEC competitor to a level equivalent to the top teams in this conference and CBH won't be given that much time.  The last regime made annual promises and were allowed entirely too much time to build a top SEC team.  Sadly because the last staff took way too long before they were purged, this new staff will be on a short leash. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Didba said:

But would you bet over 7 wins?

That's a tough one because I think 6 or 7 wins is the most likely result. So I guess not, but I think it will be close. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Oh I know.  3* too

The whole blue collar thing also assumes 4 and 5 star guys don't work as hard, which has no basis in fact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, cbo said:

The whole blue collar thing also assumes 4 and 5 star guys don't work as hard, which has no basis in fact. 

For the record, as the one who mentioned the term first in this discussion, I was not talking necessarily about lower rated players (or what their color is...not sure where that came from), I was talking about their mentality. In fact, I was specifically talking about a quarterback who was rated 4 stars out of high school, so...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lmao at comparing doing stadiums and other conditioning exercises with taking the stairs at the AD complex.  That's absolutely hilarious.

Taking a single flight of stairs isn't going to do a damn thing towards "getting to the top".

It will get to top and remind you to work your lmao.

8 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

It will get to top and remind you to work your lmao.

Wat?

I'm neither drunk or high...this makes no sense 

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

For the record, as the one who mentioned the term first in this discussion, I was not talking necessarily about lower rated players (or what their color is...not sure where that came from), I was talking about their mentality. In fact, I was specifically talking about a quarterback who was rated 4 stars out of high school, so...

I'm with you on this. The mentality that AU prided itself on all these years was scrappy, chip on your shoulder, blue collar, whatever you want to call it. The ole Dye we may not out-recruit the top dogs, but we're gonna be tough and run the football down your throats. For whatever reason our fan base cannot accept that mentality anymore. I think it's because it feels too old school and people assume it means only 3 stars. Not like Pat Dye was using that mantra with scrubs. He still recruited dogs

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was 17, actually. The 18th that's listed as a verbal (4* safety Donaldson) has signed a basketball scholarship with Auburn and won't be playing football. I think he's still being carried on the Rivals recruiting site as football because dropping him would drop AU out of the top 20.

I was told that he's not going to play football his first year, but that he might play in 2023 after establishing himself with the basketball team, as he considers that his primary sport.

That information did not come from anyone at Auburn, though, it's just something I picked up somewhere, so it might be BS.

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I was told that he's not going to play football his first year, but that he might play in 2023 after establishing himself with the basketball team, as he considers that his primary sport.

That information did not come from anyone at Auburn, though, it's just something I picked up somewhere, so it might be BS.

He may decide to try football at AU if he can't cut it in basketball. Regardless, keeping a 4* football prospect on a list of football recruits when he hasn't and won't sign a football scholarship is fraudulent and serves no purpose other that to falsify the ratings.