Where does Auburn need to steal a game?

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The only game I bet on is the Iron Bowl. I always put one dollar on Auburn. Sorry, but this year's game is already spoken for. Maybe my bammer acquaintance will back off some year in the future and there will be room for you to put a dollar on UAT. I'll let you know if that comes to pass.

Oh no, we're not betting on a game. We're betting on the results of the season. If we finish with 6 or more wins, I win. If we finish with 5 or less wins, you win. If you believe in your prediction, that should be easy to decide about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Ok then Basket Weaving. You should have the attitude and perception that you are going to win every basket weaving contest that you are in. How's that? 

Plus quit living your underdog dream movie scenario. 

A can do attitude is the least of Auburn's worries. There are major deficiencies and talent gaps. No amount of this magical I believe changes that. 

So yes it will 100% be a steal for Auburn to beat TAMU, UGA, Bama. It'll be an upset to beat ole miss and probably ark. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree with a lot of this. I think we have 6 games we SHOULD win period. Then I think there are about 3 more that are winnable. IF we win what we should and manage to take the 3 other winnable games, the momentum alone could boost us passed one of the 3 opponents who should murder us. 

I think we have a decent season. 8-4 or 9-3. Yea...Im pumping a little...but I have a lot more faith in our QB room than most here.

Yep the one area I trust Harsin on is developing QB's. Nix had so many issues after '20 that they basically had to break him down and rebuild him. Calzada has issues with his foot work but not as severe. Work on that and work on his touch issues and he can make strides. His raw talent is insane 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, au302 said:

Yep the one area I trust Harsin on is developing QB's. Nix had so many issues after '20 that they basically had to break him down and rebuild him. Calzada has issues with his foot work but not as severe. Work on that and work on his touch issues and he can make strides. His raw talent is insane 

I think the development of ZC is a much easier task than that of Bo Nix as well. ZC definitely needs some help on footwork. I don't think he has that bad of touch honestly. He has an absolute cannon of an arm and is already light years ahead of Bo on the deep ball. I think a lot of people are sleeping on ZC because they just look at his stat sheet. aTm had one of the worst pass blocking OL and their WRS were worse than ours in terms of drops. IF Hars can get him out of making risky throws, but still keep some of that gun slinger mentality where he isn't afraid of taking chances then he could be really good. 

• Like 3

As for me, I think the win we'll need to "steal" is the Iron Bowl. We can afford to lose in Athens, and maybe even one more, but we'll have to pull it out in T-town if we want a shot at winning the conference. 

😉

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think the development of ZC is a much easier task than that of Bo Nix as well. ZC definitely needs some help on footwork. I don't think he has that bad of touch honestly. He has an absolute cannon of an arm and is already light years ahead of Bo on the deep ball. I think a lot of people are sleeping on ZC because they just look at his stat sheet. aTm had one of the worst pass blocking OL and their WRS were worse than ours in terms of drops. IF Hars can get him out of making risky throws, but still keep some of that gun slinger mentality where he isn't afraid of taking chances then he could be really good. 

The thing with Jimbo's offense is that you need an all-American OL to make it work. The routes are complicated and long-developing. Thus the receivers take a while to get open. If he doesn't have a great OL to buy the QB all day, it's ugly. 2020 they had that. Last year and in 2019 and before they did not have that. Hopefully Harsin helps him out more than Jimbo did and gives him check-downs and quicker throws to get him rhythm

• WarTiger changed the title to Where does Auburn need to steal a game?

Regarding ZC I am not sure how good or bad he is. Thing that has to be taken into account is that he wasn’t the starter for TAMU and there was a reason for that. So was the oline the issue or the QB. Did King do something better that would have made the oline and WR look better. To many questions u could ask. It’s kind of similar to Bo and TJ . The oline wasn’t stellar but Bo could do things to mask some of the issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Regarding ZC I am not sure how good or bad he is. Thing that has to be taken into account is that he wasn’t the starter for TAMU and there was a reason for that. So was the oline the issue or the QB. Did King do something better that would have made the oline and WR look better. To many questions u could ask. It’s kind of similar to Bo and TJ . The oline wasn’t stellar but Bo could do things to mask some of the issues.

Bo was able to both mask some issues as well as just be a much better QB than TJ. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Some say it's because he was more mobile. Jimbo says it's because he was more consistent and accurate than ZC. Probably a combo. Zac's biggest weaknesses are his footwork and short passing game accuracy. Specifically footwork. He dances around and backpedals. He'll stand in, but it's funky. Gotta find a way to improve that and I think he can be a better QB. It's been said enough but his arm talent is ridiculous. There's not a throw he's incapable of making 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

I know that I will draw some heat for this I don't care. I thank God that you guys are not my coach. My attitude is We Can Win Every Damn One Of Them. The only thing stopping us from doing that is Us. Can you imagine a coach saying hey " We might could win this one or that one " especially at Auburn? Now for the " hey Its reality, join the real world, you are in a pipe dream" type of guy I beat you to it. Damn it stop selling yourself and this team short.  

There's a difference between possibility and probability. Quite literally ANYTHING in college football is possible, the likelihood of it actually occurring is a different story. 

• Like 1

Either Penn State or LSU.  Going into Athens 4-1 or 5-0 is way better than 3-2.  Texas A&M at this point is at Bama, UGA talent level but I feel like they are more beatable.  Everytime I listen to an on3 podcast I feel better about the team and recruiting.  I think anything more than 8 wins is gravy and would be a huge boost to what should be a good recruiting class.

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Either Penn State or LSU.  Going into Athens 4-1 or 5-0 is way better than 3-2.  Texas A&M at this point is at Bama, UGA talent level but I feel like they are more beatable.  Everytime I listen to an on3 podcast I feel better about the team and recruiting.  I think anything more than 8 wins is gravy and would be a huge boost to what should be a good recruiting class.

TAMU is definitely more beatable, at least this year, because we play them in Auburn. Jordan-Hare Stadium is at least a 10 point advantage in and of itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Stop with the frickin bickering back and forth stick to the OP. If not bye bye thread

simpsons-bart-simpson.gif

On 5/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, aubiefifty said:

Who will be Auburn football's toughest opponent in 2022? Ranking all 12 by difficulty

Bennett Durando
4-5 minutes

31316693-b014-4dea-aee9-898d684e53c7-202

AUBURN — As usual, Auburn has one of the most difficult schedules in college football this season.

But which 2022 matchup is toughest? Where does Auburn need to steal a game?

Here are the 12 opponents ranked in reverse order based on difficulty.

12. Mercer (home)

Mercer  finished second in the Southern Conference last season and was battle-tested at Alabama. Can Auburn win by more than the Crimson Tide's 48-14?

11. San Jose State (home)

A familiar Mountain West opponent for Auburn coach Bryan Harsin. San Jose State's conference title defense stalled last season with 20 points per game. Its defense should be better than its offense this year. Cupcake game.

a7009b05-f46c-464d-ac4f-d03a2cb2c380-USA

10. Western Kentucky (home)

The Hilltoppers are the best non-power conference opponent Auburn will face. They lost offensive mastermind Zach Kittley, but they're adding sixth-year grad transfer quarterback Jarret Doege, a former West Virginia starter.

9. Missouri (home)

Missouri has a higher-rated freshman signing class than Auburn, including the top receiver recruit in the country, Luther Burden. He'll test Auburn's overhauled secondary in the SEC opener, but the five-star doesn't know who will be throwing to him yet.

8. Mississippi State (away)

Auburn fans still shiver at any mention of coach Mike Leach's Air Raid offense or quarterback Will Rogers, who completed 34 of his last 37 passes for six touchdowns last November. The Tigers blew a 28-3 lead. Now they have to face Rogers while cowbells are egging him on.

7. Penn State (home)

Auburn plans to counter Penn State's whiteout game with an orange-out. Maybe that backdrop will help the Tigers defend quarterback Sean Clifford better than last year, when he was 28-for-32 passing. The Nittany Lions lack running options. High-pressure road game for coach James Franklin after receiving a huge extension.

THE RIVAL:Who will be Alabama football's toughest opponent in 2022? Ranking all 12 by difficulty

SEC BASEBALL:6 things to know about Auburn baseball first baseman Sonny DiChiara

6. LSU (home)

Ed Orgeron did a little with a lot. This isn't Orgeron's LSU anymore. New coach Brian Kelly revamped the roster with transfers, including former Arizona State quarterback Jayden Daniels. Auburn's loaded defensive front should have a field day against a weak offensive line.

5. Arkansas (home)

This feels like a must-win home game considering Auburn's other opponents, but the Razorbacks are improving at an alarming pace. The defense added intraconference transfers from LSU, Alabama and Georgia. Oklahoma's Jadon Hazelwood patches the hole left by receiver Treylon Burks. Can quarterback K.J. Jefferson end Arkansas' six-game losing streak to Auburn?

99939083-f9ca-4c94-bb0c-cb7bdf0f5308-bha

4. Ole Miss (away)

Coach Lane Kiffin lost two coordinators, not to mention quarterback Matt Corral. Still, the Rebels' talent is imposing. Auburn's promising defense hopes one thing that doesn't change is Kiffin's fatal temptation to gamble on fourth down.

3. Texas A&M (home)

Coach Jimbo Fisher's top-ranked but, uh, much-maligned 2022 signing class has commandeered headlines. Whether he can turn talent into results is another question. The Aggies have three QB1 contenders: five-star Conner Weigman, LSU transfer Max Johnson and Haynes King, whose injury last year gave Zach Calzada an opportunity. Now Calzada might start for Auburn.

2. Georgia (away)

The national champions are losing 15 players to the NFL Draft, including eight from the historic 2021 defense. But coach Kirby Smart's recruiting machine motors on. The Bulldogs bring in the No. 3 class, and they have a core of returning stars on offense (tight end Brock Bowers) and defense (defensive lineman Jalen Carter).

1. Alabama (away)

Lost the title, but still the best. Heisman winner Bryce Young is back. Edge Will Anderson Jr. is back, spearheading what could be coach Nick Saban's greatest defensive front. Oh, and the average score of the last five Iron Bowls in Tuscaloosa? Alabama 45.6, Auburn 18.

Auburn goes 9-3 winning either Ole MIss or Texas A&M.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Auburn goes 9-3 winning either Ole MIss or Texas A&M.  

Our shot at going 10-2 or 9-3 was last year. This season's team won't be nearly as talented or deep. The portal took a heavy toll, and then others who could have played another year moved on from college ball. For just one example, we're going to miss Zacoby McClain something awful.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

that Western Kentucky game makes me feel uneasy for some reason -- like Georgia state 2.0 possibilities

Agree. They're going to be slinging that thang all over JH. At the same time, their defense will give it right back. Run the ball...Run the ball and run the clock! If we're still struggling to get TDs instead of FGs...yeah it could be like GA State. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, Rednilla said:

TAMU is definitely more beatable, at least this year, because we play them in Auburn. Jordan-Hare Stadium is at least a 10 point advantage in and of itself.

I wouldn't put much faith in that. Our record against A&M in Auburn is 1-4.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:04 AM, Mikey said:

Our shot at going 10-2 or 9-3 was last year. This season's team won't be nearly as talented or deep. The portal took a heavy toll, and then others who could have played another year moved on from college ball. For just one example, we're going to miss Zacoby McClain something awful.

Portal didn't take a toll.  Who was a game changer that left?  Calzada could be better than Bo and Hudson was ok but nothing special.  The rest were backups 

Also WKU will get smoked in JH.  They lost their OC and QB, they will be back to cupcake status

10 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Portal didn't take a toll.

Here's a link to a site listing most who bailed out on AU this past off-season. Go down that list and then say the portal didn't take a toll. Look at the P5 schools some transferred to. Add former team capt. Shawn Shivers, for some reason he's been left off the list. Then try to figure out who we brought in to replace those guys.

The portal took a heavy toll, both in past performance, depth and future starters.  https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24098

• Facepalm 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:32 AM, Mikey said:

Here's a link to a site listing most who bailed out on AU this past off-season. Go down that list and then say the portal didn't take a toll. Look at the P5 schools some transferred to. Add former team capt. Shawn Shivers, for some reason he's been left off the list. Then try to figure out who we brought in to replace those guys.

The portal took a heavy toll, both in past performance, depth and future starters.  https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24098

So we lost some backup still no one earth shattering.  Shivers left because he was 3rd/4th on depth chart, he was a Capt for his work ethic and leadership not skills.  I really like Shivers and he was my daughter's favorite player but still he can be replaced.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

So we lost some backup still no one earth shattering.  Shivers left because he was 3rd/4th on depth chart, he was a Capt for his work ethic and leadership not skills.  I really like Shivers and he was my daughter's favorite player but still he can be replaced.

The issue isn’t the people lost it’s did u bring enough in numbers or talent wise to replace them. The biggest issue most shows even speak on is the rest of the roster after the starters. As it currently stands Auburn needs to be fairly healthy throughout the season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Any individual can be replaced. The problem isn't replacing one player. Auburn lost 20 through the portal and brought in eight. That's very damaging.

• Like 3

I love it!!!! I love Auburn football!! 

Who knows how we will perform. Last year showed us some great moments and some really bad ones. Of course I want to believe we beat teams we are supposed to and steal ATM and Ole Miss with some home game revenge on PSU. Right now though I think it can go either way and I’m getting excited about the season. War Damn Eagle! 

• Like 1