Only P5 team without 1000 yd Receiver

aubiefifty

And to add to this , I would argue that the inconsistency at QB play due to scheme or poor performance has been a major reason why we have not gotten to the next level or even won prominent games. I for one am so ready for a QB even of the likes of Matt Corral. It is a two fold problem. It gets so irritating when you realize if we can’t run the ball any team can hang with us..

I am so over that issue. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

This particular matter isn’t exclusive to one coach it’s always been Auburn football for as long as I can remember. U have a good defense, line up and smash u in the mouth and passing sprinkled in.  IMO the issue isn’t passing it’s the execution hasn’t been up to par. The majority of the games Auburn lost was because of poor execution whether it was turnovers, overthrown or under thrown balls. It wasn’t because they needed a 1k receiver

to hit 1000 yards in a 13 game season -- including the bowl game because those stats count toward this -- is a WR would need to average 76.9 yards a game. That seems like it should be very do-able. I mean damn everybody else has done it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e808 said:

This particular matter isn’t exclusive to one coach it’s always been Auburn football for as long as I can remember. U have a good defense, line up and smash u in the mouth and passing sprinkled in.  IMO the issue isn’t passing it’s the execution hasn’t been up to par. The majority of the games Auburn lost was because of poor execution whether it was turnovers, overthrown or under thrown balls. It wasn’t because they needed a 1k receiver

1000 yards is just the result of pushing the pass game. Throwing bombs or 50/50 balls doesn't also equate to a smart passing when we have the middle of the field wide open. We have to put guys in position to execute better. We need balance on offense to keep a defense off balance or so we can adjust depending on a scheme.

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Will never know who asks him to do this 

God spoke to him. It's his calling apparently 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Having like 11 one thousand yard plus rushers in 10 yrs will do that to receiver stats. Odd thread. 

You are right.  No one has ever had 1000 yd rushers and a 1000yd passer in the same season

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Having like 11 one thousand yard plus rushers in 10 yrs will do that to receiver stats. Odd thread. 

2019 Alabama

• RB Najee Harris - 1,224 rushing yards
  • WR DeVonta Smith - 1,256 receiving yards
  • WR Jerry Jeudy - 1,163 receiving yards

2020 Alabama

• RB Najee Harris - 1,446 rushing yards
  • WR DeVonta Smith - 1,856 receiving yards
  • WR John Metchie - 916 receiving yards
  • WR Jaylen Waddle - 591 receiving yards in just 6 games played due to injury (would have easily eclipsed 1,000 yards in a full season)

2021 Alabama

• RB Brian Robinson - 1,343 rushing yards
  • WR Jameson Williams - 1,572 receiving yards
  • WR John Metchie - 1,142 receiving yards

That's literally just one school for comparison, and only going back three seasons. I don't know what year you guys think it is (perhaps some of you still think we're watching NCAA football in the 1950's?), but an OPTIMAL offense should be able to both pass and run the ball with ease in ~2022. There is absolutely no scenario wherein having a 1,000 yard rusher somehow prevents you from fielding a dominant passing attack simultaneously, given that you have the talent and scheme to utilize your talents.

2021 Michigan State

• RB Kenneth Walker III - 1,636 rushing yards
  • WR Jayden Reed - 1,026 receiving yards

As you can see, even an extreme "run-first" team like 2021 MSU managed to incorporate a 1,000 yard receiver, despite the fact that their offense was entirely built around RB Kenneth Walker.

The amount of cope in this thread is absurd. Yes, it is in fact very embarrassing that this stat exists. Yes, it is a very good descriptor as to why AU has been in the position we have been offensively. Some of you are talking as if AU fields a 2,000 yard rusher every season LOL. We don't run the ball ~75% of the time, and a RB running for 1,000 yards isn't even remotely "impressive" anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Why on Earth would you be arguing ANYTHING in this thread? Why would you be against this team being productive? 

It's that type of thinking that has us in the predicament we are in, that refuse to change. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, e808 said:

Gtfo with this execution nonsense. That's some gus level plan was perfect, players didn't play horse***t. 

Scheme and play calling are the reason we are here. Not that we didn't execute. We lost the majority of our games from scheme and play calling. 

Hell by this garbage take, we should just go back to a power and and ExEcUtE ever play. 

• Thanks 1

Well, when you consider who our coaches have been this century, it kinda makes sense. That's kind of been the benchmark of Auburn coaches: run the ball. 1997 is the only good season I can remember that we were more dangerous through the air than on the ground, when Dameyune Craig took us to Atlanta for the first time (and damned near won it!). But that's the kind of coaches we've had since Bowden left. Two of them came up on defense, and Malzahn was far too heavy on the run game (and the lack of misdirection therein) to make the Wing T work in major college football.

This season we find out what we got in Harsin. Last year, Bobo's fingerprints were all over playcalling, so I don't think we really saw Harsin's offense. To be honest, the *only* legitimate selling point for Kiesau being a good hire, at least at this point, is that he and Harsin should be in sync.

As for when we'll have a thousand yard receiver, quite frankly, I think it's probably going to happen sooner rather than later, because the top four, and six of the top eight, individual season yardage totals for Boise State all came under Harsin (and all six were over 1,100 yards), either as head coach or offensive coordinator. He even had a second thousand yard receiver at least one of those years. So clearly he likes to throw the ball around, and he likes to find a receiver or two to put centerstage in the passing game.

Now, obviously, this is the SEC, so it's a different beast, but I think we're going to see a lot more of Harsin's style this year. In addition, our receiver room has supposedly been boosted tremendously, so, as always, it comes down to blocking.

Hopefully quick routes and check downs are plentiful.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, when you consider who our coaches have been this century, it kinda makes sense. That's kind of been the benchmark of Auburn coaches: run the ball. 1997 is the only good season I can remember that we were more dangerous through the air than on the ground, when Dameyune Craig took us to Atlanta for the first time (and damned near won it!). But that's the kind of coaches we've had since Bowden left. Two of them came up on defense, and Malzahn was far too heavy on the run game (and the lack of misdirection therein) to make the Wing T work in major college football.

This season we find out what we got in Harsin. Last year, Bobo's fingerprints were all over playcalling, so I don't think we really saw Harsin's offense. To be honest, the *only* legitimate selling point for Kiesau being a good hire, at least at this point, is that he and Harsin should be in sync.

As for when we'll have a thousand yard receiver, quite frankly, I think it's probably going to happen sooner rather than later, because the top four, and six of the top eight, individual season yardage totals for Boise State all came under Harsin (and all six were over 1,100 yards), either as head coach or offensive coordinator. He even had a second thousand yard receiver at least one of those years. So clearly he likes to throw the ball around, and he likes to find a receiver or two to put centerstage in the passing game.

Now, obviously, this is the SEC, so it's a different beast, but I think we're going to see a lot more of Harsin's style this year. In addition, our receiver room has supposedly been boosted tremendously, so, as always, it comes down to blocking.

Hopefully quick routes and check downs are plentiful.

I sure would've love to seen how this staff would've utilized Anthony and Seth. But to be fair, whose to say he would've gotten them here 😅

I mean, I remember we had Slayton,  Seth and Anthony  on the roster and somehow the old regiment could not figure out a way how to get all three on the field and utilize them proficiently to do so...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, metafour said:

2019 Alabama

• RB Najee Harris - 1,224 rushing yards
  • WR DeVonta Smith - 1,256 receiving yards
  • WR Jerry Jeudy - 1,163 receiving yards

2020 Alabama

• RB Najee Harris - 1,446 rushing yards
  • WR DeVonta Smith - 1,856 receiving yards
  • WR John Metchie - 916 receiving yards
  • WR Jaylen Waddle - 591 receiving yards in just 6 games played due to injury (would have easily eclipsed 1,000 yards in a full season)

2021 Alabama

• RB Brian Robinson - 1,343 rushing yards
  • WR Jameson Williams - 1,572 receiving yards
  • WR John Metchie - 1,142 receiving yards

That's literally just one school for comparison, and only going back three seasons. I don't know what year you guys think it is (perhaps some of you still think we're watching NCAA football in the 1950's?), but an OPTIMAL offense should be able to both pass and run the ball with ease in ~2022. There is absolutely no scenario wherein having a 1,000 yard rusher somehow prevents you from fielding a dominant passing attack simultaneously, given that you have the talent and scheme to utilize your talents.

2021 Michigan State

• RB Kenneth Walker III - 1,636 rushing yards
  • WR Jayden Reed - 1,026 receiving yards

As you can see, even an extreme "run-first" team like 2021 MSU managed to incorporate a 1,000 yard receiver, despite the fact that their offense was entirely built around RB Kenneth Walker.

The amount of cope in this thread is absurd. Yes, it is in fact very embarrassing that this stat exists. Yes, it is a very good descriptor as to why AU has been in the position we have been offensively. Some of you are talking as if AU fields a 2,000 yard rusher every season LOL. We don't run the ball ~75% of the time, and a RB running for 1,000 yards isn't even remotely "impressive" anymore.

It's unfathomable that Auburn hasn't produced a 1,000 yrd receiver this century and literally just broke a 3 yr stretch of not producing a 1,000 yrd rusher until last year. 

Inexcusable at a place like Auburn. :realmad:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trivia question that I'm too lazy to google.

Which was the last National Champion NCAA D1 team that did not have it's QB drafted into the NFL? (See what I did there?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Gtfo with this execution nonsense. That's some gus level plan was perfect, players didn't play horse***t. 

Scheme and play calling are the reason we are here. Not that we didn't execute. We lost the majority of our games from scheme and play calling. 

Hell by this garbage take, we should just go back to a power and and ExEcUtE ever play. 

Whatever u want to say that’s ur opinion. There are plenty of plays that I can point to if executed properly would have changed the trajectory of many seasons and whether Auburn passed more had nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Whatever u want to say that’s ur opinion. There are plenty of plays that I can point to if executed properly would have changed the trajectory of many seasons and whether Auburn passed more had nothing to do with it.

Yea, ever game played by any losing team ever has "if executed" plays. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Yea, ever game played by any losing team ever has "if executed" plays. 

For example 2014 the Tamu loss. Poor scheme lost the game but u are on the goal line. Again a 1k receiver means nothing if u not winning games. If Auburn won a championship next year u think people care whether there was a 1k receiver or not.

Are people going to say it’s not valid because u don’t have a 1k receiver or will Auburn be deemed champion like everyone. 
It’s just something else to stir the pot regarding Auburn and yet they have had more championship or just as many appearances than most schools recently.

Edited by e808

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

Again a 1k receiver means nothing if u not winning games. If Auburn won a championship next year u think people care whether there was a 1k receiver or not.

But you still miss the point completely.

Championships are won by teams with elite QB's. To sign elite QB's, you need to present them with elite WR's and an offensive scheme that will have them throwing the ball. To sign elite WR's, you need to present them with elite QB's as well as a track record of success at the WR position.

You're not getting Bruce Young here under the premise that you're Auburn and you're going to pound the rock and have him master the art of handing the ball off.

So you are intentionally LIMITING the ceiling of your football team with this nonsense. Apart from Georgia, name me the last team that won a championship without an elite QB. It took 2021 Georgia having one of the best defenses of all time to do it (they broke an NFL record for players drafted).

You are living in the past. Every NFL team understands this as well, hence why all the best NFL teams are centered around elite QB's who burn teams through the air with elite WR's and TE's. When you have an elite QB and pass catching targets that scare teams, the RB is a plug-and-play position. This whole "build around the RB" nonsense is a long outdated premise. Even Nick Saban, who used to be your typical defensive minded HC who wanted to play "ball control" on offense, has long abandoned that philosophy.

Look at 2021 Clemson: the fact that they had a complete dud at QB last year is why they lost 3 games. Every other season is a ~0-2 loss season for them. The QB is the most important player on the field.

• Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, metafour said:

You are living in the past. Every NFL team understands this as well, hence why all the best NFL teams are centered around elite QB's who burn teams through the air with elite WR's and TE's.

Man I get what you are saying, but you can’t compare college to pros.  There are only 32 pro teams of course they are going to have the best QB’s.  Hell, even some of them can’t get a good one.   There are only so many great ones out there.   Go back and look at the past NCAA champions, and you will see more times than not that the QB was slightly better than average but not great.  

And as far as comparing AU or any other team to Alabama, Alabama is currently on a different level than anyone.  Maybe Clemson comes to mind with Lawerence and Watson.   

48 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Man I get what you are saying, but you can’t compare college to pros.  There are only 32 pro teams of course they are going to have the best QB’s.  Hell, even some of them can’t get a good one.   There are only so many great ones out there.   Go back and look at the past NCAA champions, and you will see more times than not that the QB was slightly better than average but not great.  

And as far as comparing AU or any other team to Alabama, Alabama is currently on a different level than anyone.  Maybe Clemson comes to mind with Lawerence and Watson.   

If that is what you got out of his original post, you have sorely missed the point. Football is dynamic and things change drastically. Matter of fact this is not just a football thing, you can even point to basketball and provide the same principles. The way you adapt to the game is what can attract these "elite" players. The discussion is not solely about the pool of elite players to choose from. I believe that is also a big reason Bruce Pearl has gotten some serious talent to get here (besides his personality). Recruits love his style of basketball, which makes sense because that is exactly how the NBA is played by most teams now, especially the elite teams.  You don't see too many teams playing a strictly half court offense, outside to in with a prominent big man and if they did, they probably aren't getting the elite talent as much as the next guy.

• Like 2