Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

Dude is a freshman who showed glimpses, that even commentators complimented..  A “three star” with not many power 5 offers. A straight up work horse, yet y’all already looking at the next man before he even played an official snap. Got to love fans . 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Are people actually debating whether Hunter is in jeopardy of losing the #2 spot?  He's not...not even close.

Come on, guys. Mikey is just saying to pump the brakes on JH a bit. And I agree. The narrative has been that JH and Tank are already a Cadillac-Ronnie type tandem. Tank is elite and of their ilk, but I don’t think JH is anywhere near that caliber yet.

If Alston is great, then yeah, I could see him getting as many touches as JH.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

Dude is a freshman who showed glimpses, that even commentators complimented..  A “three star” with not many power 5 offers. A straight up work horse, yet y’all already looking at the next man before he even played an official snap. Got to love fans . 

It was a discussion of whether the true freshman might rise above the true sophomore. And I thought a pretty decent discussion, minus the "why are we even talking about this?" 

I like Hunter. I didn't notice anyone running him down. But I also like everything I've seen from Alston, including the way he recruited for AU. He was one of our top 5 highest rated recruits last year. I'm trying to have some optimism for the newest class. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

It was a discussion of whether the true freshman might rise above the true sophomore. And I thought a pretty decent discussion, minus the "why are we even talking about this?" 

I like Hunter. I didn't notice anyone running him down. But I also like everything I've seen from Alston, including the way he recruited for AU. He was one of our top 5 highest rated recruits last year. I'm trying to have some optimism for the newest class. 

A true freshman who has never played a snap of d-1 football versus a guy who actually showed glimpses as a true freshman. Have you even seen this dude in scrimmage? What are you even base this comparison on? His recruiting ranking to JH "not meeting" certain expectations as true freshman? I mean at one point, last summer we just wanted depth at the RB position. Heck, JW did that and more to give respite to Tank Daniels. Now all of a sudden that is seemingly not good enough. "He faded away throughout the season." Well, yes, he is a true freshman runner back playing against studs. Not many true freshman going to last a full season. Not many true freshman show the glimpses that JH showed last year. So, yes you can have your discussion. My commentary comes at the fact that this is based off an individuals scrimmages or spring/summer camp. 

Yeah he might rise above him. And we might win the conference next year.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

A true freshman who has never played a snap of d-1 football versus a guy who actually showed glimpses as a true freshman. Have you even seen this dude in scrimmage? What are you even base this comparison on? His recruiting ranking to JH "not meeting" certain expectations as true freshman? I mean at one point, last summer we just wanted depth at the RB position. Heck, JW did that and more to give respite to Tank Daniels. Now all of a sudden that is seemingly not good enough. "He faded away throughout the season." Well, yes, he is a true freshman runner back playing against studs. Not many true freshman going to last a full season. Not many true freshman show the glimpses that JH showed last year. So, yes you can have your discussion. My commentary comes at the fact that this is based off an individuals scrimmages or spring/summer camp. 

The better question is why are you viewing optimism over Alston as a bad thing? Why is this a touchy subject?

• Like 1

And the funny thing is if DA doesn't get much rub this season, some of y'all would be the same people critiquing him for not living up to the hype. A standard some of y'all already set. So instead of just pumping the brakes on JH. Why don't we pump the brakes on both players? Particularly somebody who hasn't even played one snap of college football.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The better question is why are you viewing optimism over Alston as a bad thing? Why is this a touchy subject?

See my post above. Likewise, why are you viewing someone saying he is not going to jump to the #2 spot as the equivalent of calling JH Cadillac and Ronnie Williams ? lol. Extreme as usual?

Edited by DAG

Just now, DAG said:

See my post above. 

Still doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a football forum. It’s perfectly normal to discuss training camp and hopes for new players. Discussing the #2 RB spot is not a personal shot at Jarquez. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

Still doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a football forum. It’s perfectly normal to discuss training camp and hopes for new players. Discussing the #2 RB spot is not a personal shot at Jarquez. 

Okay did I say there was something wrong with that? Tell me where I said you or anyone couldn't discuss it. It seems silly to me that this is even a discussion based on scrimmage reports or is that not fair to say? I mean this is a football forum right?

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Someone needs to teach me how to quote multiple portions from a post because I'm too dumb too figure it out and there's a lot to respond to here. 

I think you're missing the point. I'm not even comparing the two. I'm saying it is possible that a highly ranked TF RB could surprise us and move up the depth chart. Which, yes, would include passing Hunter. It's a bit of a long shot, but much more likely than us winning the conference. 

I already covered your point about a true freshman hitting a wall. But his lack of production after game 5 might suggest he's not Bo Jackson or something. 

I definitely never said or implied Hunter didn't meet expectations because that would be wild. 

Just now, DAG said:

Okay did I say there was something wrong with that? Tell me where I said you or anyone couldn't discuss it. It seems silly to me that this is even a discussion based on scrimmage reports or is that not fair to say? I mean this is a football forum right?

Well, yeah. All your posts are dissents against people talking about Alston. It all reads as really angry and judgmental.

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Someone needs to teach me how to quote multiple portions from a post because I'm too dumb too figure it out and there's a lot to respond to here. 

I think you're missing the point. I'm not even comparing the two. I'm saying it is possible that a highly ranked TF RB could surprise us and move up the depth chart. Which, yes, would include passing Hunter. It's a bit of a long shot, but much more likely than us winning the conference. 

I already covered your point about a true freshman hitting a wall. But his lack of production after game 5 might suggest he's not Bo Jackson or something. 

I definitely never said or implied Hunter didn't meet expectations because that would be wild. 

Also worth noting that, ironically, that’s literally what happened with JH last year. He passed a lot of experienced guys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is actually my entire point. You didn't say we couldn't discuss. You definitely implied there was something wrong with it:

53 minutes ago, DAG said:

If I missed the meaning of this post, let me know. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

And that's fair. I am just simply saying JH came here last year for depth reasons. I highly doubt most people would've thought we would be saying he tailed off after five games. The fact that this is even remotely being said means he played well over expectations. If DA can do even a little bit of that next year, I consider that a success. But you guys are discussing him being #2 on the depth chart (Which is fine) based on his recruiting rankings and scouting report versus a guy who had glimpses and production at some form of fashion last year, even against quality opponents. From the outside looking in my thoughts are to chuckle.  But apparently I can't do that. My opinion on the matter means I am touchy.

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It all reads as really angry and judgmental.

HAHAHAHAH. If you take it that way, I am cool with that.

Edited by DAG
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

And that's fair. I am just simply saying JH came here last year for depth reasons. I highly doubt most people would've thought we would be saying he tailed off after five games. The fact that this is even remotely being said means he played well over expectations. If DA can do even a little bit of that next year, I consider that a success. But you guys are discussing him being #2 on the depth chart (Which is fine) based on his recruiting rankings and scouting report versus a guy who had glimpses and production at some form of fashion last year, even against quality opponents. From the outside looking in my thoughts are to chuckle.  But apparently I can't do that. My opinion on the matter means I am touchy.

I think I get your point. If I haven't made mine by now, then shame on me. 

I don't think there was anything in the discussion to chuckle or scoff at. It was just football talk. You think I was off base, along with others. That's fine. 

I expect Hunter to be a very good back next season. And I'm excited to see what Alston can do. 

• Like 3

Tank is obviously “The Man” this year but I love what Hunter showed last year…..yes, running the ball but also catching it out of the backfield where he had some huge plays that ypc don’t reflect. A better run-blocking line and JH numbers immediately look considerably better last year as do Tank’s- they mostly fought like hell for every yard they gained. I also think that Alston is underrated and can be a stud in his own right. I think the trio gives us the best quality depth at the position that we’ve had for quite some time

• Like 3

Just now, cbo said:

I think I get your point. If I haven't made mine by now, then shame on me. 

I don't think there was anything in the discussion to chuckle or scoff at. It was just football talk. You think I was off base, along with others. That's fine. 

I expect Hunter to be a very good back next season. And I'm excited to see what Alston can do. 

You might not be off base at all. What you are saying can possibly be a reality. I am not chucking at football talk. I am chuckling at the context of the football discussion. I am laughing because this is what "football fans" do. I don't think you truly get my point quite honestly. It is the same way I chuckle at Dallas Cowboy fans when they say "This is our year."

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You might not be off base at all. What you are saying can possibly be a reality. I am not chucking at football talk. I am chuckling at the context of the football discussion. I am laughing because this is what "football fans" do. I don't think you truly get my point quite honestly. It is the same way I chuckle at Dallas Cowboy fans when they say "This is our year."

LMAO “I wasn’t chuckling at the football talk. I was chuckling at the people making the football talk.” Bro we got that part.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

LMAO “I wasn’t chuckling at the football talk. I was chuckling at the people making the football talk.” Bro we got that part.

I bet you aren't really laughing with that LMAO, bro. You are angry.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:56 PM, cbo said:

Why does everything have to be black and white on here? Jarquez showed a ton of promise. I'm optimistic about him. 

ALSO, his production after game 5 was very bad. So the jury is still out. And Alston could be great. Who knows. 

Damn near everybody production was bad in the back end of the season….hence the losing streak 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Then next year the same group will be on Alston ….🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Then next year the same group will be on Alston ….🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

And btw , I want to preface this and say , I AM NOT SAYING HE DOESN’T HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE THE #1 or #2 RB NEXT YEAR. 

I already know people will run with my commentary.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Damn near everybody production was bad in the back end of the season….hence the losing streak 

Ok, but compare the 2 RB's stats. Of course Tank should be better, but it's not close. 

Once again, I LIKE HUNTER. The point some of us were trying to make is that it's not like he's proven to be the greatest back up RB of all time. He will probably be a great RB2 next year. But there's a chance Alston is better. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

The point some of us were trying to make is that it's not like he's proven to be the greatest back up RB of all time.

In what world has anyone remotely said that ?

Let me ask you a simple question. What are you basing that DA can upend JH as the #2 spot on the depth chart on? And what are you basing your assumption that their is a chance JH can lose the #2 spot to DA?

Edited by DAG