Fox Anchors Deposed in Defamation Lawsuits

Didba

https://deadline.com/2022/08/sean-hannity-tucker-carlson-dominion-fox-news-1235100595/

always funny to me the defenses Fox uses for defamation suits. 

Now comes the claim that you can't expect to literally believe the words that come out of Carlson's mouth. And that assertion is not coming from Carlson's critics. It's being made by a federal judge in the Southern District of New York and by Fox News's own lawyers in defending Carlson against accusations of slander. It worked, by the way. 

Just read U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

11 hours ago, Didba said:

"...... he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

But that's what passes for "facts" in Republican circles. :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, Didba said:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/sean-hannity-tucker-carlson-dominion-fox-news-1235100595/

always funny to me the defenses Fox uses for defamation suits. 

Now comes the claim that you can't expect to literally believe the words that come out of Carlson's mouth. And that assertion is not coming from Carlson's critics. It's being made by a federal judge in the Southern District of New York and by Fox News's own lawyers in defending Carlson against accusations of slander. It worked, by the way. 

Just read U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil's opinion, leaning heavily on the arguments of Fox's lawyers: The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

Okay counselor, just a fact check here. This is the defense that many call the Tucker Carlson defense. It was basically says that these folks on cable news are so disingenuous that no one of any real intellect takes this s*** seriously. 

And now for the “yea, but.” TCs defense was taken word for word from Rachel Maddow’s successful defense in a libel case from about a year before. Her lawyers put forth the idea that she was strictly an entertainer, AS LIMBAUGH USED TO CLAIM, and should not be taken seriously ever. 

It would seem that by simply saying you are an entertainer rather than a media person you can say and do anything. 

Edited by DKW 86

They are correct but,,, that really isn't the issue.

Fox is not trying to inform or, educate.  Their obvious goal is to exploit fear, anger, ignorance and, prejudice.

It is absolutely obvious to everyone but, Fox viewers.

Fox is guilty of being immoral, unethical, unpatriotic but,,, that is not a crime.

However, you still cannot defame others in the unabashed effort to exploit ignorance.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Okay counselor, just a fact check here. This is the defense that many call the Tucker Carlson defense. It was basically says that these folks on cable news are so disingenuous that no one of any real intellect takes this s*** seriously. 

And now for the “yea, but.” TCs defense was taken word for word from Rachel Maddow’s successful defense in a libel case from about a year before. Her lawyers put forth the idea that she was strictly an entertainer, AS LIMBAUGH USED TO CLAIM, and should not be taken seriously ever. 

It would seem that by simply saying you are an entertainer rather than a media person you can say and do anything. 

What are you fact checking? Maddow and Limbaugh are jokes just like ole Tucker. No "yeah but" here.

Edited by Didba

6 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

The yea but was only that the defense was not TCs, but RMs. 

Gotcha, I wasn't actually aware RM had used it previously but like TC, RM rarely is within my realm of news. 

I only saw this about TC because it popped up on some of the legal news sites I follow.

6 hours ago, Didba said:

What are you fact checking? Maddow and Limbaugh are jokes just like ole Tucker. No "yeah but" here.

Limbaugh was hilarious. Miss his “open line” Friday show. Maddow not worthy of being mentioned with him.

I always felt FOX was pretty good in news only and like the presentation. The rest of the stuff obviously entertainment imo. Can understand Homer and ICHY’s beef. Lots of people hang their hat on what is said there. Have always tuned to Weather Channel or a baseball game for background company at home. Know several folks and businesses that leave FOX up continuously.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Limbaugh was hilarious. Miss his “open line” Friday show. Maddow not worthy of being mentioned with him.

I always felt FOX was pretty good in news only and like the presentation. The rest of the stuff obviously entertainment imo. Can understand Homer and ICHY’s beef. Lots of people hang their hat on what is said there. Have always tuned to Weather Channel or a baseball game for background company at home. Know several folks and businesses that leave FOX up continuously.

giphy234.gif.fea0facd90e15724d823b9ecf5d91d33.gif

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Most of Tucker Carlson's audience takes him damn seriously, just as he intends for them to. It may be entertaining to you, but that doesn't mean his audience doesn't actually believe it.

Limbaugh was a racist xenophobic troll who pandered to other racists, misogynists and hate-filled xenophobes.  Again, you may have thought it entertaining or amusing but that doesn't mean that most of his audience held his venom to be absolutely true.

That Trump gave him the presidential medal of freedom is an insult and black mark on our country's reputation, just as Trump's presidency was.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Most of Tucker Carlson's audience takes him damn seriously, just as he intends for them to. It may be entertaining to you, but that doesn't mean his audience doesn't actually believe it.

Limbaugh was a racist xenophobic troll who pandered to other racists, misogynists and hate-filled xenophobes.  Again, you may have thought it entertaining or amusing but that doesn't mean that most of his audience held his venom to be absolutely true.

That Trump gave him the presidential medal of freedom is an insult and black mark on our country's reputation, just as Trump's presidency was.

Should have known you would get on a ridiculous Limbaugh rant. Carry on Brother Homer.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

20 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Limbaugh was hilarious

Nothing hilarious about him.  He taught one half of this country to hate the other half.  He attempted to indoctrinate his audience with the inane idea that his political and social ideology was always, is always and, always will be the correct basis of political policy.  He was an institution of ignorance.

Truly one of the most destructive Americans of the 20th century.  He is a symbol of greed, arrogance, indifference.  He was an agent of satan himself.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Nothing hilarious about him.  He taught one half of this country to hate the other half.  He attempted to indoctrinate his audience with the inane idea that his political and social ideology was always, is always and, always will be the correct basis of political policy.  He was an institution of ignorance.

Truly one of the most destructive Americans of the 20th century.  He is a symbol of greed, arrogance, indifference.  He was an agent of satan himself.

Two of my best and life long friends are flaming liberal progressives. One of them actually introduced me to the EIB network and told me it was funny stuff. We worked together and multiple years went and voted together knowing we would cancel out each other’s vote.

Later in life I often found Friday “travel day” due to work and lifestyle. Enjoyed open line Friday while traveling. Had no idea I was being taught “hate” and “destructive” ideas.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Rush Limbaugh hated science, education, and intelligence in general. It's no wonder he's so celebrated by modern Conservatives. 

Among the many smooth brained beliefs Rush had in his life was that he didn't believe that smoking was bad for your health, he once didn't think AIDS could spread through straight sex, he fully believed Obama was born in Africa, he didn't believe Covid was anything but a simple cold, he doesn't believe in climate change, he believed in just about every conspiracy that got floated around...and many more if you want to look it up. 

He was just a very stupid person in general.  Him and Trump has very similar personalities I think. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

44 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

He was just a very stupid person in general.  Him and Trump has very similar personalities I think.

Interesting that you think he was so stupid........he used proper English and conjugated verbs correctly!🤣

• Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Interesting that you think he was so stupid........he used proper English and conjugated verbs correctly!🤣

After asking who smokers were harming, Limbaugh denied second-hand smoke caused any deaths.

“That is a myth. That has been disproven at the World Health Organization and the report was suppressed,” Limbaugh claimed. “There is no fatality whatsoever. There’s no even major sickness component associated with secondhand smoke. It may irritate you, and you may not like it, but it will not make you sick, and it will not kill you.”

------------------------------------------------------------

this was from one of his shows in 2015 

yeah...Limbaugh was an idiot. 

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Should have known you would get on a ridiculous Limbaugh rant. Carry on Brother Homer.

I listened to him frequently.

I am not making this up from fantasy.

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Two of my best and life long friends are flaming liberal progressives. One of them actually introduced me to the EIB network and told me it was funny stuff. We worked together and multiple years went and voted together knowing we would cancel out each other’s vote.

Later in life I often found Friday “travel day” due to work and lifestyle. Enjoyed open line Friday while traveling. Had no idea I was being taught “hate” and “destructive” ideas.

I listened to him under similar circumstances.

If you really think most of his audience received him as you - and your "flaming liberal progressive friend" did, you are very naive for an older guy (who should know better).

Edited by homersapien

52 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I listened to him under similar circumstances.

If you really think most of his audience received him as you - and your "flaming liberal progressive friend" did, you are very naive for an older guy (who should know better).

I think most people received him like me. People like you great at taking a snip of what he said and twisting it. Had to understand the context. Overall he had a very good show. 

Never could tolerate Hannity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

After asking who smokers were harming, Limbaugh denied second-hand smoke caused any deaths.

“That is a myth. That has been disproven at the World Health Organization and the report was suppressed,” Limbaugh claimed. “There is no fatality whatsoever. There’s no even major sickness component associated with secondhand smoke. It may irritate you, and you may not like it, but it will not make you sick, and it will not kill you.”

------------------------------------------------------------

this was from one of his shows in 2015 

yeah...Limbaugh was an idiot. 

I can overlook him being an idiot.  I cannot overlook him being a total failure as a human being.  If he had any redeeming qualities, they were well hidden.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I cannot overlook him being a total failure as a human being

I'm not trying to defend Limbaugh (he clearly said plenty of controversial things over his 30+ years on the radio) but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about (which is completely typical for you).  Just google his name along with philanthropic and charitable giving and you will see what kind of human being he was!  Since I know you won't do it here is some of what you will find:

https://altoday.com/archives/32591-the-case-beyond-his-commentary-for-giving-rush-limbaugh-the-medal-of-freedom

In 2008 Forbes named Rush one of the nations top philanthropic celebrity givers saying, “Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh ranked fourth on the Most Generous Celebrities List by donating $4.2 million, or approximately 13% of the $33 million he earned last year, to the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation, a charity that helps support the children of Marines or federal law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty.” 

Here are some key donations to note:

• As of April 2016: Over the past 26 years, Mr. Limbaugh and his audience have collectively raised more than $47 million for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, helping provide much-needed research and support for individuals and families affected by blood cancer diseases. 
  • “Every year I think it’s going to be the year that we finally have topped out and we’re not going to be able to beat the previous year. And I’ve never been right,” shared Limbaugh. “I and everybody at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of America thank you from the bottom of our sizable beating hearts.” 
  • As of Dec. 2019: Raised over $5 million for the Tunnel to Towers Foundation which supports the loved ones of first responders killed in the line of duty. In July of 2019, the foundation paid off the mortgage of the house belonging to the family of a slain Auburn law enforcement officer for his wife and two children.
  • On Oct. 19, 2007: Rush auctioned off a letter he received from congressional Democrats who were upset with him for statements he made about soldiers who opposed the war and matched the winning bid. He gave the profits to The Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation at the time he said, “it’s now official, is going to get in excess of $4.2 million because I am matching Betty Casey’s bid on eBay — $4.2 million.”
  • In July 2018, Limbaugh and his wife donated $500,000 to the Dana Farber Cancer Clinic in Boston.
Edited by auburn41

9 hours ago, auburn41 said:

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Didba said:

Hey bud, will you PM me your picture?  Since I am paying some of your debt, I’d like to be able to show your picture to people after I show them pictures of my kids.  You have a good day now!!😂

Edited by auburn41
  • Dislike 1