Penn State won't be ready for...

VicTree

The complete lack of physicality from the OLine

the amount of holding from J Simpson

Shenker fouling out of a football game ( is that even possible?)

Just damn good folks from the plains 

• Haha 2

Honestly hoping they're not ready for our crowd and we make it a point to show them what an SEC venue is all about. **** a white out in HAPPY VALLEY

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

Calzada is being prepped to play against Penn State. Now, what that looks like remains to be seen. But it appears safe to say that if Finley struggles again early, Calzada may get his shot. There could be a short leash. 

• Like 1

Schmedding will call his third game as defensive coordinator at Auburn and it’s an opportunity for Schmedding to truly introduce himself and create his identity. The popular question in the offseason was what role did Schmedding play in the Iron Bowl defensive game plan, only because it looked so different than previous games during the season. Maybe we’ll see more of that aggression on Saturday against Penn State. Either way, it’s a big day for Schmedding to turn this defense loose and see what this group is capable of early in the season.

Justin Hokanson

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

what role did Schmedding play in the Iron Bowl defensive game plan, only because it looked so different than previous games during the season

It seemed as though we blitzed on every third and long.  Yet, on fourth and long with the game on the line,,, we sat back in coverage.

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

It seemed as though we blitzed on every third and long.  Yet, on fourth and long with the game on the line,,, we sat back in coverage.

trying to get interceptions on fourth and long.

35 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

That would not be very intelligent considering all you need is a stop.  It was game over with an incomplete pass.

good point.  I was thinking a QB on fourth and long is more likely to try and force a ball where they shouldn't and flooding the field with DBs is conducive to that. But true.

Since Hoke is reporting that Calzada has gone from dead to getting a ton of attention from Harsin this week AND first team reps at practice, I'm going with they won't be prepared for him to come in. I'm sure they've watched film, but TJ and Robby have probably taken the most attention from them.

They won't be able to handle my tailgating rib selections.  I'll be smoking baby backs in my barrel smoker, and will offer any Penn Stater a rib.  They won't be able to handle it.  They'll become AU fans on the spot.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Like 4

‘Best duo in college football’: Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter

9/15/2022 10:00:00 AM

By Greg Ostendorf

AUBURN, Ala. – There might not ever be a running back tandem quite like Ronnie Brown and Carnell “Cadillac” Williams. Not at Auburn. Not in the SEC. Not in college football. Both players gained over 1,200 yards from scrimmage for the Tigers in 2004, and both were top five picks in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Williams, however, sees similarities to himself and Brown in Auburn’s current running back duo, Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter.

It’s not necessarily in how they run or the style they play, though fans could probably see shades of Williams and Brown when they watched Bigsby and Hunter break off long touchdown runs in the season opener. It’s more about the drive, the constant competition and the ability to push each other.

“I see it every day,” said Williams, now Auburn’s running backs coach. “I think Tank knows he can't rest. He's got to bring it every day. And I think Jarquez knows that he also can't rest. He's got to bring it each and every day. Those guys make each other better.

“Not only am I a firm believer, I know whenever you get in a room with like-minded people and somebody's pushing you, you know that you can't be complacent.”

It’s been 18 years since Williams and Brown finished their careers at Auburn. Now, leading the running back group, Williams takes jabs from Bigsby and Hunter.

“Coach, I’m better than you were.”

“Coach, if I were in the room, you and Ronnie probably wouldn’t have played.”  

“Good luck,” Williams tells them.

But Williams also knows how fortunate he is to have two special talents in his room, not unlike the running back room had 18 years ago. Just put on the tape.

Bigsby, in particular, has made a name for himself as one of the best running backs in college football. He rushed for 834 yards in 10 games as a freshman. He went over 1,000 yards last year with 10 touchdowns. And he’s already got 199 yards and three scores on the ground through the first two games of this season.

For Bigsby, the talent was on full display in the first game against Mercer. Coming out of the rain delay, he took the first carry, burst through a hole, and made two quick cuts to get free. It was then a footrace to the end zone, and he wasn’t losing.

Offensive tackle Killian Zierer remembers finishing his block on the play and looking up to see Bigsby 20 yards downfield already.

“They sometimes can make 40-yard plays out of nothing,” Zierer said. “It’s awesome blocking for those guys. Tank probably made five or six guys miss on one of his touchdown runs (against Mercer), and you don’t see that a lot. That’s impressive.”

“Tank’s just a different breed,” Hunter said. “That’s all you can say. When he gets the ball in his hands, he makes plays.”

They’ve got that same mindset. It's just not about them. They are doing it for their family, for their team, for Auburn University.

Carnell 'Cadillac' Williamsnone

As good as Bigsby is, it wouldn’t be a 1-2 punch without Hunter who burst onto the scene as a freshman last year with over 100 yards rushing in each of his first two games at Auburn. He became the first freshman to reach the century mark in the season opener since 2009 (Onterrio McCalebb), and his 94-yard touchdown run in week two was the longest rushing play in program history.

Through the first two games this season, Hunter already has four rushing touchdowns, including a 16-yard score where he made a couple Bigsby-like cuts to elude defenders.

“Jarquez is a great running back,” Bigsby said. “His mindset is different. Having someone in the room like that keeps you on your toes.”

Bigsby and Hunter have combined to rush for seven touchdowns in the first two games. No other running back duo in the SEC has more than four touchdowns combined.

“The motor on those guys is crazy,” offensive lineman Brandon Council said. “If we just even get in the linebackers’ face, that’s good enough for them because they’re going to make them miss automatically. They’re just amazing athletes, and they get the job done.

“The Tank and Jarquez duo is the best duo in college football.”

So, what is it that makes Bigsby and Hunter special? The talent is clearly evident. But, like Williams and Brown back in 2004, it’s the inner drive. It’s that next gear both players can reach because they know they are playing for something bigger.

For Bigsby, it’s his family.

“That’s the reason I play ball,” he said. “To change the trajectory of my family – the way we live, the way we grew up – just change that. That’s why I go so hard. That’s my why.”

For Hunter, it’s going after a dream he’s had since he was 6 years old.

“I wake up and I want to be great every day,” he said. “I want to make it to the NFL. That’s my dream. Anything I do I just want to be great at it, so I work hard every day.”

But at the end of the day, it’s the same goal. Both players view football as an opportunity and a way to better their lives and those around them. It took Williams and Brown a couple years to understand that. There was a back-and-forth of who was better. Once they got past that and started working toward the same thing, it all changed.

It’s no different this year with Bigsby and Hunter.

“That's why I know Jarquez and Tank are going to be successful,” Williams said. “They’ve got that same mindset. It's just not about them. They are doing it for their family, they're doing it for their team, they're doing it for Auburn University – two Auburn men, guys that truly believe in Auburn and love Auburn. I think those guys continue to pour not only into themselves but also, they pour into others. That’s what is important.”

“It’s nothing different this season,” added Bigsby. “Just having this team first. Coming out to be the best version of ourselves every day and getting better. That’s the goal.”

Football

vs Penn State

09/17/2022 at 2:30 PM CT CT

• Like 2

They won't be ready for me.  Making the trip for my first home game in 3 years.  I will be loud.  I will be slightly intoxicated.  I will be prepared with Amish buggy jokes.

I will also wear orange shorts (that's the best I can do folks).