What to do with the OL?

bigbird

Start using that NIL money. Whether we like it our not we are now the minor leagues for the NFL because of the NIL. That I believe was done because college football saw that there was a real potential threat for an actual minor league system to work because of the $$. (Don’t laugh but I think the second version XFL with enough time and money would have started pulling top high school recruits and would have made its self a “development league” for players wanting to go to the NFL and those players would have been $ paid. It would have in time become a real competitor to the college system.)To combat that they stripped the pay players rules. Now it will be about who has the most gold. Tradition, love for a school will be in the back seat.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

yes i understand but he was the line coach at tennessee when they were turrible and he was let go. not sure at the same time as the head coach or before.

He was let go with the rest of the staff there. Brumbaugh was fired by Pruitt mid season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUx said:

and had a more effective offense, no doubt :bananadance:

I'm waiting for our OL to buzz  buzzz buzzzzz until they all congregate in the corner of the end zone, buzzzing away......

• Haha 1

What to do with the OL?

I don't know but,,, the Malzahn/Harsin approach of nothing might possibly be a mistake.  In the future, we may want to think of ways to improve the OL rather than consistently regress.  I'm beginning to believe that the OL is fundamental to offensive success. Maybe?

Does anyone else see this, think this is a priority?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The oline is pretty bad but it still seems u can scheme around them. There’s 2019 with wins over Oregon and Bama. Then u have 2020 which got u 6 SEC wins. In both years some better calls in key situations and u have even more wins. Last year mustered up 6 wins before BO got hurt. My question is the blocking schemes different or u asking them to do something that u know they aren’t good at but continually ask them to execute. There has to be something that can be done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

The oline is pretty bad but it still seems u can scheme around them. There’s 2019 with wins over Oregon and Bama. Then u have 2020 which got u 6 SEC wins. In both years some better calls in key situations and u have even more wins. Last year mustered up 6 wins before BO got hurt. My question is the blocking schemes different or u asking them to do something that u know they aren’t good at but continually ask them to execute. There has to be something that can be done. 

In 2019 none of these guys started.   Our starters were Driscoll, Horton, Kim, Harrell and Prince.   In 2020 our starters were Jackson, Manning, Brahams, Council and Hamm.  There is a reason these guys have been on our roster for so long but haven't much seen the field (Council being the one exception).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Whether we like it our not we are now the minor leagues for the NFL because of the NIL.

NFL has been the minor leagues for the NFL since the day professional football started.

Such a weird point ppl make about NIL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LPTiger said:

How bad is our offensive line?    Tank is 27th in the league in yards per carry.   Jarquez is 28th.

gun-db-shotgun.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I just don’t see how they could possibly be this bad all of them are very experienced.  If there were a bunch of freshmen in there I might understand but it does not seem to have anything to do with inexperience.  I know some of them have had a lot of injuries in the past but if they are too hurt to play try someone else.  

3 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t see how they could possibly be this bad all of them are very experienced.  If there were a bunch of freshmen in there I might understand but it does not seem to have anything to do with inexperience.  I know some of them have had a lot of injuries in the past but if they are too hurt to play try someone else.  

Imagine how bad the back ups must be if they never see the field 

• Like 3

OL Coaching, schemes, and talent are the worst we have seen at Auburn in 40 years. There is no getting better this year. 

Edited by gr82b4au

20 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

If you look at them over the last 3 years, they were never really that good though.  I mean I know they are playing hard but they just are not talented. Also they do not play together as a group, and the coaching has been horrendous. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I mean I know they are playing hard but they just are not talented.

I respectfully disagree with this. There is plenty of video evidence of our o- linemen making little to no effort to engage a single defender, while their freshmen QB and talented running backs are being swarmed under. Their jerseys and helmets at the end of the game are as clean as the punter’s and kickers. I’ve never seen anything like it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t see how they could possibly be this bad all of them are very experienced.

That isn't really the question.  The question is,,, how do they continue to get worse. 

I believe the answer is,,, coaching.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

That isn't really the question.  The question is,,, how do they continue to get worse. 

I believe the answer is,,, coaching.

Friend and Bedell are indeed AWOL as coaches. They both owe AU a refund as they’ve done nothing to earn their paychecks. But even that doesn’t explain 4th, 5th, and 6th year players allowing defenders to run by them untouched. Football 101 for the O line: put a hat on a hat. 

7 minutes ago, AU North said:

Who are these backups you speak of? WDE

You haven't heard about our depth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AU North said:

Sad but true. WDE

I'm not sure we have a '23 OL starter on campus right now 

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1