What to do with the OL?

bigbird

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well we don’t want to abuse them now fifty lol. CBH already got accused of that once.

i meant for the o line guys to use against the other team. lol

• Haha 1

STEROIDS, lots and lots of STEROIDS!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

STEROIDS, lots and lots of STEROIDS!!

It would evoke aggression , something this bunch seriously lack. Never seen a nicer group of guys. 

• Like 1

I’m a typical fan so I don’t concentrate on any given play specifically on the offensive line.   It becomes more apparent when they show a highlight of a sack or a play failing to pick up a first down.   Besides just a general overall meanness mentality, I don’t think they have that.   I don’t get to see them everyday, so I would love to know what it is that some do really well individually and as a group.  
I don’t give much credence in the backups not being just as good because I don’t have much faith in this staff to recognize talent (ex:not going out and getting more lineman last recruiting cycle).   That in itself is very alarming and had me doubting their ability to coach in the SEC.   
Back to blocking, if I saw it correctly on the 4th and 1 when Tank was stopped, it was number 86 missing the block.  So it’s not just lineman.    I would spread the field out as far as I could and make defenses at least spread out.   Maybe it would give some better angles for line to block and space for the backs.   What I do know is that lining up in the tight formations gives AU zero chance 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

They are who we thought they were...

dennis-green-theyare-whoe-we-thought-the 

You're the HC or OL coach.  How do you fix the issues?  

Personnel change? Who?

Different plays? Which?

Scheme? What do you adjust?

What do you do to fix our most glaring on field issue?

Recruit

Recruit

Recruit

Recruit

But, that hasn't worked too well either.

• Haha 1

Cheer up.  By all indications, this situation is going to get worse, much worse.  We haven't played an elite team yet.

The problem is coaching.  In the run game, we do not scheme to create overloads (4 blockers on 3 defenders).  In the passing game, we do not run enough chip and release with TE and backs.

Here in the SEC, as close to the NFL as you get without actually being there, average coaching is not sufficient in order to compete.

As far as personnel.   I don’t know.  It couldn’t be much worse to try some new guys.  So why not.   Maybe there’s a “gamer type” that surprises us.  (Tubs didn’t like his OL, so mid year he started 3 TFs and it actually improved)

Every blocking scheme has its pros and cons.   The wider splits could lead to more vulnerability in the middle which you definitely don’t want!  Especially with your 3rd string C.  But, maybe mixing it up a little would help.  That way the defense wouldn’t be able to keep doing the same thing over and over to stop us (see PSU and Mizzou).   

As far as offensive strategy.   Yeah, you’ve got to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible.   Get your guys the ball in space.   And hope for the best.   You want Tank to have the ball with a legitimate opportunity to make a play as often as possible.  Mix it up enough to keep the defense as honest as we can.  But lots of screens, perimeter throws, 2-3 step drop quick throws as much as possible.   With just enough deep throws to keep it balanced.   With Robby at QB, we should run some ZR, RPOs, 1 read and run type plays to utilize his athleticism.   That 12 personnel run it up the middle garbage is about the dumbest thing you can run with our players.   That’s putting Tank or Jarquez in an impossible situation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That’s how I feel which is why I say we should get an interim pronto . I am typically against that 

Who would you bring in as an interim and would you also have to bring in interim coordinators since the ones we have are Harsin men

10 minutes ago, provibe said:

Who would you bring in as an interim and would you also have to bring in interim coordinators since the ones we have are Harsin men

CBH would be fired only. If the others choose to go that’s on their free will, that’s on them . Etheridge would be the interim HC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

How about slinging it deep a time or two? We should run 2 receivers on a fly pattern on EVERY play and hope for a miracle!

You want more sacks cause this is how you get more sacks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I’m a typical fan so I don’t concentrate on any given play specifically on the offensive line.   It becomes more apparent when they show a highlight of a sack or a play failing to pick up a first down.   Besides just a general overall meanness mentality, I don’t think they have that.   I don’t get to see them everyday, so I would love to know what it is that some do really well individually and as a group.  
I don’t give much credence in the backups not being just as good because I don’t have much faith in this staff to recognize talent (ex:not going out and getting more lineman last recruiting cycle).   That in itself is very alarming and had me doubting their ability to coach in the SEC.   
Back to blocking, if I saw it correctly on the 4th and 1 when Tank was stopped, it was number 86 missing the block.  So it’s not just lineman.    I would spread the field out as far as I could and make defenses at least spread out.   Maybe it would give some better angles for line to block and space for the backs.   What I do know is that lining up in the tight formations gives AU zero chance 

On that 4th and 1 play the Defense had more men lined up blitzing then we could account for.  They had two DBs/LBers blitzing off the edge almost untouched. That play was DOA

2 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

As far as personnel.   I don’t know.  It couldn’t be much worse to try some new guys.  So why not.   Maybe there’s a “gamer type” that surprises us.  (Tubs didn’t like his OL, so mid year he started 3 TFs and it actually improved)

Every blocking scheme has its pros and cons.   The wider splits could lead to more vulnerability in the middle which you definitely don’t want!  Especially with your 3rd string C.  But, maybe mixing it up a little would help.  That way the defense wouldn’t be able to keep doing the same thing over and over to stop us (see PSU and Mizzou).   

As far as offensive strategy.   Yeah, you’ve got to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible.   Get your guys the ball in space.   And hope for the best.   You want Tank to have the ball with a legitimate opportunity to make a play as often as possible.  Mix it up enough to keep the defense as honest as we can.  But lots of screens, perimeter throws, 2-3 step drop quick throws as much as possible.   With just enough deep throws to keep it balanced.   With Robby at QB, we should run some ZR, RPOs, 1 read and run type plays to utilize his athleticism.   That 12 personnel run it up the middle garbage is about the dumbest thing you can run with our players.   That’s putting Tank or Jarquez in an impossible situation.  

I was wondering if we had to be like Malzahn in the run game with every running play going up the middle? These guys don't seem to do anything but clog up the middle. Use some gadget plays to keep them off balance. 🤓

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

They are who we thought they were...

dennis-green-theyare-whoe-we-thought-the 

You're the HC or OL coach.  How do you fix the issues?  

Personnel change? Who?

Different plays? Which?

Scheme? What do you adjust?

What do you do to fix our most glaring on field issue?

SHAKE 'EM UP!

Start at the top:  fire the OL coach -- have been totally unimpressed with the results of this former turd player.     

Start at the bottom:  Incredibly, our OL do not appear to know the meaning of 'fire out.'  What kind of running game or 4th & 1 mentality can you have when first contact by the OL on EVERY play is on the offense's side of the LOS?  This is not complicated.  Also by getting the OL to fire off the LOS, this would allow for pulling guards & tackles to execute trap plays & sweeps. 

Find new OL.  Replace the starters with players willing to fire out & hit somebody -- either FR OL or raid the depth of the DL to do so.  Hell, give the long snapper a chance(!)  Just because you are a returning 6th year Sr doesn't guarantee you start.  

28 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

How so? You don’t wait until the receiver is 50 yards down field to throw the ball.

It’s pretty self explanatory. Longer the route, longer the QB holds the ball, longer the oline fails to block. Even a 15–20 yard go route takes time to develop.

Course you said throw it deep which connotes a slower developing play to push the ball 20-30 yards down the field.  

1 hour ago, Didba said:

It’s pretty self explanatory. Longer the route, longer the QB holds the ball, longer the oline fails to block. Even a 15–20 yard go route takes time to develop.

Course you said throw it deep which connotes a slower developing play to push the ball 20-30 yards down the field.  

No…you drop back and let it rip! There’s nothing to develop…

1 minute ago, imaolgatiger said:

No…you drop back and let it rip! There’s nothing to develop…

Just gotta throw it 70 yards high, amirite?

8 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Basically the Gus special. Quick screens, misdirection and counters, RPO. Get Koy Moore and Tank in space and hope someone misses. 

I'm not sure we have enough experience at QB to pull it off well, regardless. 

All the above is correct. Except this staff is refusing to change. It just seems like they're going to be bullheaded to the end. Which the end may end before the season. 

Yes, our OL is in the bottom of the SEC but we have not done anything to scheme to our strengths. This team HAS TALENT. It's not being used at ALL! It always makes me chuckle when people tell fans...well the coaches know best. They're getting paid all this money to coach. WELL some coaches are dumb! And AU appears to have a few of them. It's frustrating to watch this staff not even try to scheme around the talent we have. 

I'm just ready to move on and clean house. I watched to support the players and i was happy to see the stadium full to support the guys. But it took a gimmie missed FG and a fumble in the endzone to beat Mizzou...MIZZOU! I doubt we even beat Vandy. Their backup can sling it! I appreciate the players hard work and dedication so they're the only reason i'll support.