I believe Dell McGee is the answer

Auburn93

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

But (and I say this knowing that no coach is a sure thing), I'm sick of people acting like Grimes would be JABA.

I totally agree with this part of your post.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You are part of the problem with that attitude. I don’t want to hear why this is a tough job. We all know this. Guess what? It’s still a great job. AU has won in spite of mediocre coaches since dye not because of them. That just shows you we have great bones and how fantastic a job this can be. Now imagine the damage AU could do with a actual extremely proven successful coach. That’s great you are so high on Grimes. Go let him get his head coaching on the job training experience at Colorado or Arizona State. AU shouldn’t have to take that risk.

Hmm would I have been ok for them to be hired at AU or where they got hired at? Because that’s 2 totally different and separate things. For what programs hired them? Alabama, LSU, Miss ST and TAMU did a great job hiring proven head coaches who were successful winners to varying degrees before those schools hired them. Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy and Mizzou made good hires relative to their standing in the college football world. Georgia coming off the very successful and super consistent Richt era filled with lots of ten plus win seasons and  hiring a career coordinator in Kirby was a huge risk imo and beneath what they could of got  but that’s obviously  worked out amazingly for them as he turned out to be arguably the best recruiting head coach in the country. I will never be ok with programs with the stature of Florida or Tennessee hiring mid major coaches regardless of their success or lack of success. And even though Arkansas and South Carolina were at rock bottom I will never be ok  with sec schools hiring career position coaches to be head coaches.

meryl-streep-yes.gif

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

I appreciate this conversation & the views that have been expressed & debated. My 2 cents at this point is about this idea that we need to hire a "proven" head coach. I wish I thought there was such a thing & we could hire one, but I don't. I can remember when Scott Frost, Charlie Strong, & Tom Herman were the coaches everyone wanted, who'd succeeded wildly where they were, & all were total flops at their next places. I know that Tennessee fans did NOT want Josh Heupel, but do they ever love him now! They were more than a dumpster fire with about 60 scholarship players on campus when Heupel arrived 2 months after Harsin began. While we've been going steadily backward since mid-season last year, they now have the #1 offense in the country, a top 10 team & a legit shot at beating Bama this Saturday. Who saw that coming?! So, I'm just not sold on the idea that there's such a thing as a "proven" coach out there. I hope it's not quite a crap shoot, but it may well be. We need to find the guy with football smarts, management skills, relatability (for recruiting), ability to sell his program (so he gets good coaches on his staff), the chutzpah to believe he can beat Saban & Kirby, & who "fits" Auburn. I don't know who that person is. Personally, I hope that's what the decision-makers are seeking. 

• Like 2

Fit is the most important thing.

[ enter Scott Frost]

This is the problem with Auburn fans. They take one subset of criteria and die on the hill with it. You literally can find an example of a failure for every type of specific criteria. Look at all the pros and cons, look at the programs current status, then formulate an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Fit is the most important thing.

[ enter Scott Frost]

This is the problem with Auburn fans. They take one subset of criteria and die on the hill with it. You literally can find an example of a failure for every type of specific criteria. Look at all the pros and cons, look at the programs current status, then formulate an opinion.

I find the whole fit thing to be laughable. Like what is Auburn's fit? It should be winning.....but that's not what we want.....we have to have a guy with sec experience for whatever reason and he must fit in to what Auburn believes. But what do we believe?

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I find the whole fit thing to be laughable. Like what is Auburn's fit? It should be winning.....but that's not what we want.....we have to have a guy with sec experience for whatever reason and he must fit in to what Auburn believes. But what do we believe?

That is the million dollar question. All I know is when I hear the word "fit" that translates to one of our own.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the million dollar question. All I know is when I hear the word "fit" that translates to one of our own.

Polo, dockers, deck shoes, and a slight affinity for whiskey?

The thing is, if we were planning to promote from within to save on the buyout last time, why won’t we this time with an even bigger hole?

On 10/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, Auburnguy101 said:

I’ll say this again: There is no sure fire head coach that you can go and stay “yep, if we hire him, we will be a national title contender in 2 years.” All of these names being put out are all risky hires and all have flaws and holes. The last coaching cycle you had so many names that were pretty big. Now, most of them are literally the definition of “meh”. That’s why I’m going for Deion. He’s unique and he’s truly an unknown. I just think how he would elevate our program and recruiting to nothing like we’ve ever seen and have us in the national media on a weekly basis. No other coach could bring that kind of excitement here. This program is in a funk and it’s time we get the Pearl of football…

Then call Urban Meyer. Scattered past not exactly like Pearl. But he has won every where he has been in college. 

38 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Then call Urban Meyer. Scattered past not exactly like Pearl. But he has won every where he has been in college. 

Completely terrible comparison. Urban is scum too but it’s just that he is a choir boy compared to Freeze. At least on the coaching side he is way more accomplished and understandable to want him. But no, don’t want anyone like him or Freeze to ever set foot on Auburn’s campus…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

For me, at least, "fit" doesn't mean "one of our own." In some ways I'd say "you know it when you see it."  :)  More seriously, I think it involves things like understanding that recruiting in this part of the country is a fist fight. How to establish relationships with southern high school coaches.  Understanding race relations in this area (I'm thinking here of rumors that Harsin didn't understand some of the African American kids on the team last year). Understanding the love Auburn people have for our university. Understanding that Auburn people want our coach to be bold but classy (see Pearl). Etc. And no, "fit" isn't everything. Things I mentioned in an earlier post are vitally important (like smarts, management skills, relatability, etc.). But I also think "fit" is a real thing. From early on I didn't sense that Harsin "fit" well here. I hoped he'd grow into it, but I don't think he has. You know, Bruce's first 3 years with the basketball team weren't stellar. I'd even begun to wonder if his time away from coaching had damaged his ability to coach. But nobody was saying he should go. There are likely lots of reasons for that, but I believe one of them was he felt like he belonged here, he "fit." So we were willing to be more patient. How glad are we that we did! So, for me "fit" matters for these reasons.

• Like 1

https://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=104702557&s=2&p=104698380#104702557

I feel dirty giving this reputability but does anyone know if this guy is reliable? He claims it’s going to be Freeze with Luke, Neal Brown or Liberty’s OC at OC and Charles Kelly at DC…I’d love Luke at OC but everything else HELL NO!

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

https://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=104702557&s=2&p=104698380#104702557

I feel dirty giving this reputability but does anyone know if this guy is reliable? He claims it’s going to be Freeze with Luke, Neal Brown or Liberty’s OC at OC and Charles Kelly at DC…I’d love Luke at OC but everything else HELL NO!

Uh no. Stop being so gullible. Did you really ask if a poster on the rant was credible? Come on bruh…

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Completely terrible comparison. Urban is scum too but it’s just that he is a choir boy compared to Freeze. At least on the coaching side he is way more accomplished and understandable to want him. But no, don’t want anyone like him or Freeze to ever set foot on Auburn’s campus…

IDK…but I for sure am gonna at least put him (Meyer) on my long list of candidates, he has accomplished a lot in college ball. Also keeping my eyes on Matt Rhule, Ken Dorsey, Klingsbury, Demeco Ryans and Dan Quinn in the NFL. Luke Fickell, Deion Sanders, Mark Stoops, Dan Lanning, Dino Babers and Leipold in college. 

34 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah someone said they already are negotiating with Freeze as well….Ijs 🤷🏽‍♂️ …I’m calling BS on it all.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

IDK…but I for sure am gonna at least put him (Meyer) on my long list of candidates, he has accomplished a lot in college ball. Also keeping my eyes on Matt Rhule, Ken Dorsey, Klingsbury, Demeco Ryans and Dan Quinn in the NFL. Luke Fickell, Deion Sanders, Mark Stoops, Dan Lanning, Dino Babers and Leipold in college. 

Kingsbury might be a tough pull. Maybe if we have Golf offer him unlimited PBRs...

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I find the whole fit thing to be laughable. Like what is Auburn's fit?

👇

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

But no, don’t want anyone like him or Freeze to ever set foot on Auburn’s campus…

9 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

👇

Are you implying something? If you are trying to say I don’t want Freeze because he’s not a good fit, that’s BS. I don’t want Freeze because he’s a scumbag and he just recently DM’d a sexual abuse victim. So don’t know what you’re trying to say by quoting me…

16 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Are you implying something? If you are trying to say I don’t want Freeze because he’s not a good fit, that’s BS. I don’t want Freeze because he’s a scumbag and he just recently DM’d a sexual abuse victim. So don’t know what you’re trying to say by quoting me…

Curious, what did the dm say? I hadnt heard about that

9 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Are you implying something? If you are trying to say I don’t want Freeze because he’s not a good fit, that’s BS. I don’t want Freeze because he’s a scumbag and he just recently DM’d a sexual abuse victim. So don’t know what you’re trying to say by quoting me

I'm simply saying your post encapsulates what is/isn't a 'good fit'. People ask, 'what's a good fit at Auburn anyway?'. Auburn's culture/perceived reputation and scumbags are not a good fit. It certainly wasn't meant to offend you. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mikey said:

One could that Dell's creds are more suited to being a head coach in the SEC than are Sanders'. Yet, we see the nearly hysterical support for hiring Neon Deion.

Remember, it would be hard to find a young coach with better background and experience than Harsin. We see how much that mattered.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. Dell McGee probably has the cell number of every top HS coach in Georgia and Alabama in his phone and knows them all on a first name basis. Deion is a celebrity. Dell McGee is a football coach. Dell would be fighting for his job and legacy every step of the way. Deion can crash and burn, and no one would care because he's worth millions and can go do other things.

I wish he had a few years HC experience, but I would interview him and hear his vision for the program. If the coordinators he wants sound appeasing, then you something to think about.

• Like 2