2013 SEC Champtionship

auburnatl1

Ok Prime is inexperienced, Grimes is more of the same, and Freeze is …. Freeze. Until the AD is hired this debate will pointlessly rage on between personality types with no resolution except repeating the same points different ways. Day after friggin day.

One potential distraction (I’m sure it’s been done many times but still better than Prime vs Grimes). Favorite game. I suspect most would/have said an iron bowl, UGA, or anything Cam or Dye. But for me it was the 2013 SEC Championship game. Not even close (even counting kick 6).  Our defense struggled.  But our offense had been rising all season and peaked into a sheer juggernaut during that game. For it’s time, the most dynamic running game I’d ever seen. A perfect weapon with perfect players to execute it.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

It's crazy to see "3rd and 5" or less and mentally assume that's an automatic 1st down. I've been so conditioned for "3rd and x" to turn into an automatic punt from this season :( 

The defense had issues but may always be my favorite team (yep, even over 2010 - that’ll get me killed).

Edited by auburnatl1

6 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ok Prime is inexperienced, Grimes is more of the same, and Freeze is …. Freeze. Until the AD is hired this debate will pointlessly rage on between personality types with no resolution except repeating the same points different ways. Day after friggin day.

One potential distraction (I’m sure it’s been done many times but still better than Prime vs Grimes). Favorite game. I suspect most would/have said an iron bowl, UGA, or anything Cam or Dye. But for me it was the 2013 SEC Championship game. Not even close (even counting kick 6).  Our defense struggled.  But our offense had been rising all season and peaked into a sheer juggernaut during that game. For it’s time, the most dynamic running game I’d ever seen. A perfect weapon with perfect players to execute it.

Tre Mason 46 carries for 304 yards

marshall 16 carries for 100+

Gosh that is such a bad a** statline

• Love 1

That was a good offense. We had already pulled out 2 wins by the skinniest of margins, but when your tailback hits 300 rushing, you’ve got a great O Line. We’ve had a few since then, but that one was special. Reminded me a bit of the ones in the late 70s and early to mid 80s. 

• Love 1

That offensive line who paved the way for 545 rushing yards that night (against Michael Sam and Kony Ealey)...whoever recruited them? 🧐

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The defense had issues but may always be my favorite team (yep, even over 2010 - that’ll get me killed).

Mine too. I always get laughed at by people when I say my favorite all time QB at Auburn was Nick M. 

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I remember like it was yesterday listening to the announcers talk about how this offense was going to be copied because nobody could stop it. 

Obviously defenses have adjusted to the rpo and hurry up, and the pure novelty went away.  But if you could time machine those players into a sec game today it still might be be interesting. Time machining in a Steele defense instead might help.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

That intro with Daughtry still gives me chills.

I'd argue that 2013 may be the greatest college football season of all time. I know arguments can be made for 2007 but let's be real, most of the conference champions that year were the preseason favorites. None of the BCS conferences (P5 + AAC) in 2013 were won by the preseason favorites.

• Like 1

If Gus would have evolved his offense and continue to modernize it and hyper  focused on OL recruiting and dual threat qbs (which his offense REQUIRES). Plus keep Steele’s defense….

Dear lord I’ve morphed into the Dr Phil show - “if only Gus would have changed”.  Friggin stubborn bumble-head😋

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, one of my favorites ever was the 2004 LSU game. 10-9 because the defenses were nasty, the talent was great, and the coaching was on point. 

I was at that game. Right after a hurricane if I remember correctly. So much fun 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Honestly watching this game I felt like our offense would be unstoppable for years. I just sat in awe. 

I think their 677 yards of total offense still stands as an SEC Championship Game record.

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Honestly watching this game I felt like our offense would be unstoppable for years. I just sat in awe. 

I started getting that feeling from halftime LSU on and it just got stronger and stronger. 

I honestly feel like if we didn't lost the NC, that things may have went differently for Gus and AU. I think that game cracked him. The 14 Tex AM game broke him. Gus never was the same as a playcaller again. From that point on, he doubted himself and seemed to always overthink everything which ruined what worked so well for him for so long.

He started going more conservative and being cute with packages and personnel subbing. This had an opposite of desired effect leading to players and coaches knowing exactly what we were doing. He steered away from HUNH keep the same 11 on the field and just cram it down their throats and dare them to stop us.

He went away from Mobile QBS and started bringing in pocket passers. His persona was never the same after halftime of the NC game in 13. As painful as it is, if you go back and watch the pregame that night and just look at the fire and confidence Gus had...then compare it to the rest of his career. Never the same. There were glimpses here and there, but never the same. 

It is what it is now. We are in the depths of football hell.

BTW ....didn't mean to derail the OP's thread....my favorite game to watch is 04 Tennessee game. We have not had a QB not named Jason Campbell that I could see drop back and look deep.....and before the ball left his hand I could throw my Tuddie hands up with absolute confidence.....EVERY TIME! Oh yea....we also had Caddy and Ronnie and that beautiful beast of a no name defense.

• Love 1

This SECCG game highlights something we haven’t had since: an O Line that moved defenders backwards. They attacked defensive fronts and were super aggressive. And Jay Prosch was a blocking machine. Whoever we hire MUST relentlessly recruit aggressive O linemen.

We were big, quick and fast at almost every posistion. A winning combination.

Great choice. 2013 is my favorite season as well.

I remember the Tennessee game as the moment when I realized there was something special happening. Going off memory, didn't we only throw like 10 passes during that UT game or something crazy like that?

edit: it was 7 pass attempts in the game!

Edited by msza

3 hours ago, msza said:

Great choice. 2013 is my favorite season as well.

I remember the Tennessee game as the moment when I realized there was something special happening. Going off memory, didn't we only throw like 10 passes during that UT game or something crazy like that?

edit: it was 7 pass attempts in the game!

Yeah that was the Nick Marshall and Corey Grant game 

On 10/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, auburnatl1 said:

the most dynamic running game I’d ever seen

It was the last AU game I’ve been to. There was a Mizz family sitting in front of us. By the 4th Q, I so wanted to tap on their shoulder and say…

sub-buzz-3447-1621719687-20.jpg

19 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It did not help that they changed the rules about subbing due to the hunh since then. 

Yup and isn’t it funny that the same HC who wanted it changed because “it’s going to cause injuries” was the same HC who began incorporating it into his offenses?

The ol ‘can’t beat em, join em’ tactic. 

• Like 1