Harsin not letting players redshirt?

gr82b4au

22 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

What would be the reasoning behind doing this from his perspective? Like, best case scenario.. Just wanting access to depth? 

Honestly I think it is a “my way or the highway” take, like the elevators. So you have some players that have not played very much this year, and now they are being asked to suit up for a play or 2 in the upcoming games. They want to redshirt but he is mad and tells them to play or hit the road. 
These players that are leaving are talented. 
The problem is this coach is a dead man walking and should not be here at this point anyway … especially to decide to cut future talent. 
And if by some miracle he wins out and signs a top 10 class and stays (hahaha), he will need these players in the future. 
Just terrible. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Shut up, You're clearly one of them. Should have seen you coming years ago, with all of the "Potatoes!" and sh!+

Or I could be the mole feeding the press all of this info. Didn’t think of that, did ya? Why wouldn’t guys from Boise trust a guy with a name like mine?

Edited by Potatooooooes!!
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

image.gif

Pre transfer portal.  Pretty sure this would not happen today, lol

Edited by AUwartigerAU
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm wondering if Harsin is trying to do as much harm as possible b4 leaving

I don’t think so. I just think he makes rash or dumb decisions without thinking about the consequences. 
Unfortunately he is still in charge and as the HC, he has every right to tell kids who don’t want to play and want to redshirt to hit the road. But the state of his leadership and the state of the AU program is already under so much scrutiny that making this decision adds even more angst from fans, media, coaches. It is just not smart. 
We are only talking about a handful of players at most, and most of them played very little this season. It is just a bad look at a time when you need everything to go your way. Dumb dumb dumb. 

Edited by gr82b4au

I already thought Harsin was over his head and no clue on recruiting in the SEC. Then I've seen a Coach talk statue on the sidelines, but all we hear is he hasn't had a chance. All the Coaches that have left last year and players that left but they yell it's not his fault look what he's been handed. Now the red shirt that all Coaches try to use and he's going to be different. He seems to be trying to do all he can to burn Auburn down. I am sick of this clown and his crazy decisions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Everyone knew A Greene was going to be terminated, even in the spring everyone knew it. Heck many people knew this last year. Yet they waited too long.

“What should be done eventually, must be done immediately.” ~ Jeremy Foley, commenting on the proper time to fire coaches.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

WTF IS THE AUBURN ADMIN DOING??  Why are they just sitting there letting this happen?

This☝️. I've tried to be positive and accept the 'Robert's is methodical and has a plan', but at this point it's beyond ridiculous. Someone needs to do SOMETHING. 

Guest MustardSeed

I was all for giving the guy a chance and if we’re real honest, we (Auburn) seemingly did more damage to him than good. However, robbing players of a year to force them to play now or quit the team(if true of course) should be a for cause firing. This should be investigated thoroughly and very very quickly and if it turns out to be true he should fired with cause no later than Sunday. It’s one thing to sabotage his own career. It’s completely different to intentionally damage players eligibility. 

9 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

Probably not gonna get too many thoughtful responses past "Potato boy ebil" but to me it's a clear indicator the locker room is checking out. This feels like players are choosing to sit out this year, waiting out his tenure as coach.  I'm a casual compared to a lot here, so I don't know how many players would qualify for RS, but it feels like there are enough to be a roster problem if it is done is mass.

That makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

How would this situation be handled otherwise? Genuine question. Is it typically a player’s decision to take a redshirt? Independent of the coaching staff? 

I doubt it is independent . In LK situation he probably asked if he can get redshirted as he hasn’t got a lot of PT and doesn’t want to waste a year. That’s when CBH was like nah. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

I doubt it is independent . In LK situation he probably asked if he can get redshirted as he hasn’t got a lot of PT and doesn’t want to waste a year. That’s when CBH was like nah. 

Right, and I’m not defending Harsin because I think there’s a lot more to the LK situation, but this seems typical? Coaches determine they need a kid on the “active “ roster so to speak, and player comes in and says I don’t want to play anymore, will you redshirt me? Again, there is a lot more to the LK situation where I agree he was treated poorly, but speaking strictly about redshirting, and how those decisions are typically made, Harsin’s reaction doesn’t strike me as unusual. 

Imagine Robby got hurt in practice this week, and Holden was next man up, but told Harsin he’s finished playing for him and wants to redshirt? Head coach is just supposed to go along? 

Anyway, I’m sure people will misread this post and conclude I’m defending Harsin. I’m not. I’m as ready for this nightmare to be over with as anyone else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Right, and I’m not defending Harsin because I think there’s a lot more to the LK situation, but this seems typical? Coaches determine they need a kid on the “active “ roster so to speak, and player comes in and says I don’t want to play anymore, will you redshirt me? Again, there is a lot more to the LK situation where I agree he was treated poorly, but speaking strictly about redshirting, and how those decisions are typically made, Harsin’s reaction doesn’t strike me as unusual. 

Imagine Robby got hurt in practice this week, and Holden was next man up, but told Harsin he’s finished playing for him and wants to redshirt? Head coach is just supposed to go along? 

Anyway, I’m sure people will misread this post and conclude I’m defending Harsin. I’m not. I’m as ready for this nightmare to be over with as anyone else. 

I would be for that if he didn’t (rumored) get lied on about PT. Not to mention the carnage of this whole season. CBH is not even going to be here next year and he is not given LK any PT: I feel like there could’ve been a happy medium in this scenario. But what goes around , comes around.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I'm just more concerned how this kind of media chatter takes advantage of our apparent commitment to offer no formal response to a clearly declining situation and let the infection fester through the season. Harsin's actions are not unexpected, but with every player that leaves the team before the season is over, it makes it much more easy for the media narrative to paint Auburn as a chaotic mess despite our well meaning President's intention to be by the book. It hurts recruiting, it probably further complicates another coaching search and it makes our administration look confused and hesitant. 

I just hope they don't continue to drag. We need at least an AD hired yesterday. 

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This is the other side to that train of thought a minority has had that retaining Harsin probably can’t really hurt your roster much. That’s usually look at as recruiting can’t get much worse. However, he CAN hurt your current crop of players, and there’s still just enough talent for a good coach to make a middle of the SEC team from

I don’t think we have another play caller on staff, but I rather have the next few games look like a noob is calling vs have our rosters be as scalped as post Sandusky Penn State 

I'd rather put plays in a barrel and draw one than have the two calling plays that we have now.

• Haha 1

Just now, DAG said:

I would be for that if he didn’t (rumored) get lied on about PT. Not to mention the carnage of this whole season. CBH is not even going to be here next year and he is not given LK any PT: I feel like there could’ve been a happy medium in this scenario. But what goes around , comes around.

Yeah, I’m with you.

auinsy do you even love auburn? you have negged the hell out of most folks on here making sense which makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is also my rebuttal to people saying Harsin should be vindicated to push out kids who aren’t redshirting for non-medical reasons (Cubelic, for example). Harsin is not going to be the head coach next season. Why should he be able to actively harm the roster for the next staff (this is almost a question that’s directed at the BoT more than pro-Harsin pundits 😂)? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I'd rather put plays in a barrel and draw one than have the two calling plays that we have now.

I think Aubie would make a helluva OC