Auburn coaching hot board V2

aubiefifty

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Some people are struggling acknowledging that freeze and urban polarize people. Grimes may underwhelm, but he doesn’t cause people to go nuts. My main issue with freeze is the Gus 2.0 thing.  But imo his other issue is he causes a primal reaction for some - it’s a fact of life - and we don’t need baked in fan divisiveness.

How is Hugh seen as Gus 2.0? His offenses actually produce. 

I’ll try to pull up some numbers here soon but do people see him as Gus because he came from HS or something?

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

Why?

Cause i don't like the guy and I think he is a sleaze bag of a person. I think he is desperate for a school to give him another chance and i don't want Auburn to be that school. I also question how good of a coach he really is and i don't get why everyone is so head over heels on the guy. I mean i think he would do ok but i'm hoping for more than ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’ll try to pull up some numbers here soon but do people see him as Gus because he came from HS or something?

It’s not really a scheme issue. Gus started struggling when Kirby showed up and starved us of ga talent. Freeze is great at coach em up, but never achieved elite recruiting without cheating. No other program has ever pursued him. Throw in hes now an easy negative target as well - I just see him as a beat miss schools/arky ceiling option. He’ll make us feel better for 2 yrs. Grimes can do that without the divisiveness.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Cause i don't like the guy and I think he is a sleaze bag of a person. I think he is desperate for a school to give him another chance and i don't want Auburn to be that school. I also question how good of a coach he really is and i don't get why everyone is so head over heels on the guy. I mean i think he would do ok but i'm hoping for more than ok. 

So you wouldn't want any coach with any type of personal drama/moral issues?  

8 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

So you wouldn't want any coach with any type of personal drama/moral issues?  

Quite the jump you made there. No i don't expect Jesus himself to descend from heaven and coach our football team. We are all well aware of what freeze has done in the past and how he continues to handle himself today. Some people are ok with all that and some people like myself are not ok with it. And therefore we have the opinion that we don't want Freeze as the head coach of Auburn University. 

18 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Quite the jump you made there. No i don't expect Jesus himself to descend from heaven and coach our football team. We are all well aware of what freeze has done in the past and how he continues to handle himself today. Some people are ok with all that and some people like myself are not ok with it. And therefore we have the opinion that we don't want Freeze as the head coach of Auburn University. 

I understand. Thank you and WDE! As I stated earlier, he's not my first choice. I know that some coaches are and have been cheating, so we won't win with someone being squeaky clean.   

I may get roasted for this post but I think Dan Mullen is a name to bring up. You can't hold his time at Florida against him. Since Urban left Florida, no one has had any success in Gainesville. He hasn't forgot how to coach.  

I personally would like Mark Stoops at Auburn.  

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

10 minutes ago, yeaauburn said:

I may get roasted for this post but I think Dan Mullen is a name to bring up. You can't hold his time at Florida against him. Since Urban left Florida, no one has had any success in Gainesville. He hasn't forgot how to coach.  

I roast thee

• Like 4

Do people live in la-la land? Every freaking successful program cheats. This idea that Bama, Georgia, Clemson get all of these great players and don’t cheat is laughable. Ole miss was getting them too quickly and the heavy hitters moved their weight and Ole miss got called for it. Likewise , Texas A&M gets this star studded class and guess what? The heavy hitters say they are paying everyone. 

the difference is Hugh Freeze won on the field with his players against them. I am sorry we aren’t winning a national championship without cam Newton and no I don’t think for a second we just gave his family nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s not really a scheme issue. Gus started struggling when Kirby showed up and starved us of ga talent. Freeze is great at coach em up, but never achieved elite recruiting without cheating. No other program has ever pursued him. Throw in hes now an easy negative target as well - I just see him as a beat miss schools/arky ceiling option. He’ll make us feel better for 2 yrs. Grimes can do that without the divisiveness.

I would prefer Grimes too just wanted to hear that other part.

1 hour ago, yeaauburn said:

If it were up to Dan Mullen, then 2010 would've never happened. You can't be serious. That guy is public enemy #1 in Auburn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yeaauburn said:

image.gif

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

...cam Newton and no I don’t think for a second we just gave his family nothing. 

IF we paid, we underpaid.

• Like 1

What part of he paid for prostitutes is not understandable?   What part of how prostitution connections into human trafficking and the sex slave trade, is not understandable?  He might be a great coach and people should be forgiven. But, it does not mean he has to be given an opportunity   be the coach of Auburn. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do people live in la-la land? Every freaking successful program cheats. This idea that Bama, Georgia, Clemson get all of these great players and don’t cheat is laughable. Ole miss was getting them too quickly and the heavy hitters moved their weight and Ole miss got called for it.

1) I always prefer la-la land when I can get it 2) so, to be clear, I understand your wake up -it’s the real world, everybody cheats point. Got it. Redemption and not being judgmental. Got it. But bottom line - you believe freeze could recruit directly against uga and assemble an elite level staff comparable or better than prime or kiffin? Not just make us better - elite. I’m not picking an argument, curious.

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

So who did achieve elite recruiting wo cheating? Maybe wo getting put on probation.

9 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

1) I always prefer la-la land when I can get it 2) so, to be clear, I understand your wake up -it’s the real world, everybody cheats point. Got it. Redemption and not being judgmental. Got it. But bottom line - you believe freeze could recruit directly against uga and assemble an elite level staff comparable or better than prime or kiffin? Not just make us better - elite. I’m not picking an argument, curious.

My guess is that DS could recruit and gather more NFL experienced staff. Kiffin has not shown that capability but is probably equal or better for on field coaching prowess.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

My guess is that DS could recruit and gather more NFL experienced staff. Kiffin has not shown that capability but is probably equal or better for on field coaching prowess.

My point is simply this. If you had to pick between a great coach with average talent or an average coach with elite talent. Who wins most of the time? Obviously you want and need both, but in 2022 if you want to win a nc without AT LEAST 1/3 5*’s on the field - good luck with that. Kirby has said 50 times: he wins because of superior talent. It’s a 5* arms race and imo we’re chronically struggling to understand that. Again, other than prime and Kiffin - I’m beyond skeptical that any other name could get us close to there.

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

My point is simply this. If you had to pick between a great coach with average talent or an average coach with elite talent. Who wins most of the time? Obviously you want and need both, but in 2022 if you want to win a nc without AT LEAST 1/3 5*’s on the field - good luck with that. Kirby has said 50 times: he wins because of superior talent. It’s a 5* arms race and imo we’re chronically struggling to understand that. Again, other than prime and Kiffin - I’m beyond skeptical that any other name could get us close to there.

The point of my post is that I don’t see much evidence that Kiffin can recruit as well as most believe DS can.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Do people live in la-la land? Every freaking successful program cheats. This idea that Bama, Georgia, Clemson get all of these great players and don’t cheat is laughable. Ole miss was getting them too quickly and the heavy hitters moved their weight and Ole miss got called for it. Likewise , Texas A&M gets this star studded class and guess what? The heavy hitters say they are paying everyone. 

the difference is Hugh Freeze won on the field with his players against them. I am sorry we aren’t winning a national championship without cam Newton and no I don’t think for a second we just gave his family nothing. 

Dude, you can't talk to these cats on here about Danny Hugh. I done give up trying. They either sitting too high on their high horse or afraid to look at how many times their own transgressions have been forgiven. Its been almost 5 yrs...If the man's family and The Good Lord has forgiven him.  Guess what,  it don't make a rats booty if anyone else has or not. 

• Like 5

Considering where we are, how college football is changing, the excitement he brings, the knowledge he brings, the leadership he brings,,,

there is only one choice.  It's Prime time.  Time to have some guts and swing for the fences.

There is no other choice.  We will not be content with mediocrity. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

you believe freeze could recruit directly against uga and assemble an elite level staff comparable or better than prime or kiffin?

To be fair, It’s been a long time since we’ve consistently recruited well against UGA or Bama, and that is unlikely to happen in the near future. Could Deion? Maybe, but we have a small sample size to go on. I think some have decided that Deion is going to immediately put us on parity with those schools talent levels but I don’t believe it will be that simple. Kiffin has never been an elite recruiter. Both could certainly do better than much Harsin. If Lane or Freeze can recruit Top 10, they can both coach well enough to make us contenders again, with more consistency  than we had with Gus. 

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

The point of my post is that I don’t see much evidence that Kiffin can recruit as well as most believe DS can.

I agree and have stated that at length. Plus no crippling buyout. But the “fit” and no p5 experience zealots always go sideways with Deion. Kiffin (who has a more traditional background) isn’t as appealing  to me, but given the other options being tossed around, I’d accept him.

3 hours ago, woodford said:

And he has an actual passing attack.   Gus had something that was drew up with crayons.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Most good coaches are not very good people.    I will give it to you that Freeze has taken that to the next level.