Auburn is back on the national stage.

AuCivilEng1

I keep coming back to this. Recruiting ability is the #1 asset the new Auburn coach needs to bring to the table. Auburn has to improve the roster ASAP to be competitive, not on a 3-4 year timeline. If Deion brings in a lot of  4* and 5* talent his first year but 'only' wins 8 games getting use to the SEC, we are still better off. Then he adds his 2nd year 4* and 5* recruiting class. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

I don't think anyone cares about skin color as long as that coach can win games. 

I think Deion would make a bigger splash and higher upside. And I definitely love the intensity that he would bring to the program. 

Kiffin just seems vanilla (no pun intended) to me. He'd be solid, but probably not a home run guy. 

Laughing at the vanilla thing. I think you’re right and I agree with your post though. 

• Like 2

I’ve never heard Auburn discussed this way by national media types during a coaching search and it is all revolving around us hiring either Kiffin or Deion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agreed. Like many of the other comments on here, I would say we are a little relevant now, but not in a good way. I would be fine with LK or DS, but I don’t think either wants to be at AU. I am now warming to the idea of HF. He may not have the highest character, but there are plenty of coaches like that. To me, it won’t be a splash hire and if one of the three I just mentioned is not hired, screw it, give Caddy a two year deal and see what he can do. At the very least, he loves Auburn and appreciates it, which makes him a good fit. Kiffin has the experience, Deion has the swag and notoriety, Freeze has a good track record as far as coaching and building, but I assure you, none have the love for AU that Caddy has. Just my 10 cents worth, with inflation so high. 

The upside as well with Caddy is we could put millions into NIL. Caddy as HC will probably be a better recruiter than we’ve had for 3-4 years. A dead opossum is better than Harsin 😂. But an NFL running back and Auburn legend in Caddy would be really good. He’s living proof of what he’s selling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I keep coming back to this. Recruiting ability is the #1 asset the new Auburn coach needs to bring to the table. Auburn has to improve the roster ASAP to be competitive, not on a 3-4 year timeline. If Deion brings in a lot of  4* and 5* talent his first year but 'only' wins 8 games getting use to the SEC, we are still better off. Then he adds his 2nd year 4* and 5* recruiting class. 

Saban doesn’t “coach”, his coordinators do. He establishes culture, plan, discipline, PR,  closes recruits, makes “go for it on 4th down” game calls, ect. But schemes, coach em up, play calling -> coordinators.  Gus and Jimbo both are constantly criticized because they won’t give control to the coordinators.  With the coordinators sanders could get, I think underperforming won’t be a problem.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Saban doesn’t “coach”, his coordinators do. He establishes culture, plan, discipline, PR, makes “go for it on 4th down” game calls, ect. But schemes, coach em up, play calling - coordinators.  Gus and Jimbo both are constantly criticized because they won’t give control to the coordinators.  With coordinators sanders could get, I think underperforming won’t be a problem.

What coordinators would he get? They’ll be paid well but it’s quite a career risk going with a new HC like Sanders. 

That’s my biggest concern. He will get some guys. We know that. But will he have them in the best position to make plays? It’s a legit question no matter how hard people roll their eyes. 

3 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Further ramblings:

Weve been on the negative side of the media a lot.   People have talked bad about Cam, then some off the field stuff, 2012 fiasco, our “evil boosters”, not willing to hire a black coach (we’re all thankful we passed on Turner Gill btw), the ridiculous buy outs, poor administration, the entire Harsin era has been a PR nightmare.    Now they’re saying Auburn isn’t ready to hire a black coach with a big personality.   Really?   If we hire Deion, the entire perception of the AU football program is transformed!!!   It’s Prime Time!!!

And the perception of Auburn University off the field, which Deion also would promote, is transformed positively. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

I’ve never heard Auburn discussed this way by national media types during a coaching search and it is all revolving around us hiring either Kiffin or Deion.  

Anything less than one of these two will be a massive letdown at this point. The fanbase goes bonkers over either one. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Hopefully in the not too distant future, we can start using JABA in a positive light!

This is what I’m hoping for. People used to use the word “clemsoning” in a bad light when they’d choke against quality opponents and stumble over themselves. They gave us their clemsoning cooties and ways when we let Dabo/Clemson be the first team that beat us and he flipped out about it after the natty in 2010/11 and they stole our mojo ever since.

Hopefully we’ll reclaim what’s ours. 

6 hours ago, WarTim said:

Kiffin or Freeze. JMHO 

I hope so.  It takes seven 16-hour days per week to be an effective SEC coach.  It doesn't take near that much time to be Prime Time.

Not sure if Deion knows what a commitment the SEC is.

I'm souring on Deion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

We, as fans, care about winning. We could care less if he’s purple with rainbow colored hair. Hopefully the people that make this decision feel the same way.

I 100% disagree.  I can’t trust rainbow hair on my head coach. 

Edited by tigerrules
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I hope so.  It takes seven 16-hour days per week to be an effective SEC coach.  It doesn't take near that much time to be Prime Time.

Not sure if Deion knows what a commitment the SEC is.

I'm souring on Deion.

Deion once played an NFL game and an MLB game in the same day. He knows what commitment is. 

Whether he is looking for that type of commitment at this moment is the question. 

1 minute ago, msza said:

Deion once played an NFL game and an MLB game in the same day. He knows what commitment is. 

Whether he is looking for that type of commitment at this moment is the question. 

Yeah, as a dude who played at FSU in their hay day, and played in the NFL and MLB, he is fully aware of what level of commitment the top level coaches have to make.   And I think it’s pretty clear that he is looking for it 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AUINSY said:

The upside as well with Caddy is we could put millions into NIL. Caddy as HC will probably be a better recruiter than we’ve had for 3-4 years. A dead opossum is better than Harsin 😂. But an NFL running back and Auburn legend in Caddy would be really good. He’s living proof of what he’s selling. 

I fully support your thoughts. I don’t expect him to come in and all of a sudden win each game, but his love for AU may go further than most think. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I fully support your thoughts. I don’t expect him to come in and all of a sudden win each game, but his love for AU may go further than most think. 

I mean you’re right. It could also go a ways to him getting a few good assistants if we get some positively, surprising good results the back half of this season. I don’t think it would be plan A or B. But it would be amazing for the guy who gave Auburn his everything to have a Dabo-type juggernaut uprising at Auburn. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUINSY said:

This is what I’m hoping for. People used to use the word “clemsoning” in a bad light when they’d choke against quality opponents and stumble over themselves. They gave us their clemsoning cooties and ways when we let Dabo/Clemson be the first team that beat us and he flipped out about it after the natty in 2010/11 and they stole our mojo ever since.

Hopefully we’ll reclaim what’s ours. 

Friggin Clemson. We’ve been completely surpassed by friggin Clemson. Just say that 3 times. Their mascot looks like a kid saying trick or treat earlier this week. Hire prime and let’s end this upside down whacko universe!

image.thumb.png.1f4d01143f07d3001de5634c97c38533.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Friggin Clemson. We’ve been completely surpassed by friggin Clemson. Just say that 3 times. Their mascot looks like a kid saying trick or treat earlier this week. Hire prime and let’s end this upside down whacko universe!

image.thumb.png.1f4d01143f07d3001de5634c97c38533.png

You ain’t lyin’. This is a quick recap of that post-game interview:

• Angry 1

Another angle. Think about the potential extra revenue Deion could draw into the program. He has a gift for marketing. The possibility of recouping some of the money spent on buyouts HAS to be a consideration.

• Like 1

Just my thoughts but........I do not think that Nick Saban is the best coach in college football.  I think he is slightly above average when it comes to the X's and O's..... see Michigan St. LSU and Miami Dolphins.  He wasn't fully in control in those situations, and he had to actually do X's and O's coaching. The results were average/above average.  Average recruits/players, average coaching = average results. What I do think is that he is the quintessential or best CEO in the game.  He knows how to run a program and he has the power to do so.  He has high expectations and demands that from his coaches and players. With early success and the Alabama name, he has had the luxury every year of 4 and 5 star players up and down the roster.  Some of the best talent in the country.  He is able to give his offensive and defensive coordinators the best talent and you see what they do with it.  What is key to Saban's success is his hiring of the right OC and DC when they move on to other coaching opportunities. Deion is that type of coach.  He is the face of the program and brings in the players, others coach. Like Saban, he needs the right hire for his coordinators.  He will get the 4 and 5 star talent.  Give him two good years with the high school talent and now the transfer portal and he could have the same results.  Any other coach is not going to bring in the best talent and will rely more on their X's and O's coaching ability.  In today's game, you need the CEO type coach who can find the best OC/DC to do the actual coaching.

• Like 1

Apparently those who want Kiffin didn't watch the Auburn/Ole' Miss game last year. Had our coach made all those stupid calls we'd have run him out of town.

My first choice is Jeff Grimes. If he gets a chance here people will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Just my thoughts but........I do not think that Nick Saban is the best coach in college football.  I think he is slightly above average when it comes to the X's and O's..... see Michigan St. LSU and Miami Dolphins.  He wasn't fully in control in those situations, and he had to actually do X's and O's coaching. The results were average/above average.  Average recruits/players, average coaching = average results. What I do think is that he is the quintessential or best CEO in the game.  He knows how to run a program and he has the power to do so.  He has high expectations and demands that from his coaches and players. With early success and the Alabama name, he has had the luxury every year of 4 and 5 star players up and down the roster.  Some of the best talent in the country.  He is able to give his offensive and defensive coordinators the best talent and you see what they do with it.  What is key to Saban's success is his hiring of the right OC and DC when they move on to other coaching opportunities. Deion is that type of coach.  He is the face of the program and brings in the players, others coach. Like Saban, he needs the right hire for his coordinators.  He will get the 4 and 5 star talent.  Give him two good years with the high school talent and now the transfer portal and he could have the same results.  Any other coach is not going to bring in the best talent and will rely more on their X's and O's coaching ability.  In today's game, you need the CEO type coach who can find the best OC/DC to do the actual coaching.

I don't mean to be rude but you, like many others here, are basing these predictions on nothing but wishful thinking. Sanders has no history to demonstrate that. Sanders might be alla that. He might fall flat on his face. If AU hires him I won't hate the decision but hiring Sanders is swinging for the fences and home run hitters strike out an awful lot. Those rooting for Sanders need to be aware of the high probability of a strikeout.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Agree to disagree…Saban is the best because he demands the best from everyone.    It doesn’t matter if you think he is not a good X’s and O’s guy, but you are also wrong on that.   He knows defense and is the one of the best at it.   He also knows how to give his assistants the ability to do their job.    Being able to hire the right coaches and bring in the 5 star players and have them play together and play to their abilities is sometimes challenging.   He is one of the best at it.   

17 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Moving a black man into an interim HC spot isn't proving color doesn't matter.  It's the easiest way to say "look, we had a black head coach once".  It's nice to see Caddy as HC, but until the actual signed HC is a black man, we aren't "proving" anything.

Wow! But you’re not racist against Caucasians at all, are you?

So if we want to get an experienced, successful, SEC head coach… Stoops, Kiffin, Freeze… After hiring Barbee, Greene, Cadillac etc… we are still racist if we don’t pick zero power five experience, zero SEC experienced Dion?? I get it now.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1