I would settle… for Rhett

DyeCampAlum

2 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Not as a first tier choice. But suppose Deion and Lane, etc., don’t want to come. I think he’d succeed.

He might would do fine but there is no data to support this supposition. It would be just a guess, probably a bad one.

Yeah, that's going to be a no for me. I would absolutely rather give the keys to Carnell and see what he can do than bring back Rhett Lashlee as HC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I hope we get a offensive minded coach - so I think I understand why you mentioned him by name - but our next coach has to have shown he can field a decent defense.  I would love a top 20 D, but I think a top 30 D and a elite/very good O would be a winning formula. 

With this requirement, I don't think Rhett has shown he has mastered this facet so I don't think he is ready to earn a spot on the "B" list of coaches for consideration.  I hope we can make our selection from the "A" list and not have to fall to the "B" list.  

16 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I do think we need to have a “backup plan,” but Rhett ain’t it.

Coastal Carolina coach.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

If we’re bringing back a former OC, just hire Bobby P. 

i-m-out-motorcycle-fvr9oc9an8oez0v8.webp

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I didn't realize that he was their defensive coordinator no wonder they aren't very good... 🤣

Oh his defense is awesome. They get to the ball quickly. Many times in the backfield even. Then they promptly miss the tackle…

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, AUwent said:

I do think we need to have a “backup plan,” but Rhett ain’t it.

I think the backup plan would be someone like Freeze if everyone else says no. 
There should be no way we “settle” after what we just went though. 

I'm not usually a troll, but I'm enjoying getting my ass kicked here. In 2 years as Miami's OC, Lashlee elevated the offense a lot. SMU is doing just fine: two of SMU's losses were to ranked teams (TCU was close; UCF was not), a loss to a 6-3 Maryland team, and a 2-point loss to Cincinnati. That's entirely consistent with last year--and last year's coach seems pretty darn capable.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I'm not usually a troll, but I'm enjoying getting my ass kicked here. In 2 years as Miami's OC, Lashlee elevated the offense a lot. SMU is doing just fine: two of SMU's losses were to ranked teams (TCU was close; UCF was not), a loss to a 6-3 Maryland team, and a 2-point loss to Cincinnati. That's entirely consistent with last year--and last year's coach seems pretty darn capable.

Same MO as a normal Gus team. Almost, but not quite there. I’ve seen this movie already. Like the kid, but pass.

1 hour ago, miscram6 said:

The main problem with this thread is the title of it:

Instead, how about the Auburn family REFUSE to settle this time?!

You know, we don't actually get a say in the decision, right? 🙂

We only have this forum to share thoughts. But half the time, our thoughts/ideas/questions are slapped down/taken out of context/poster is put-down. That's the AU Family.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

You know, we don't actually get a say in the decision, right? 🙂

We only have this forum to share thoughts. But half the time, our thoughts/ideas/questions are slapped down/taken out of context/poster is put-down. That's the AU Family.

Thanks, Captain Obvious!  I thought the original poster was responsible for the next hire. 🙄

Rhett may turn out to be a great coach but going to him at this point in time as a fall back option is pretty head scratching. He may be around #15 on my list of fall backs. Also the connection to Gus who the fan base is still not over would also be hard to overcome. Maybe 10 years from now if Rhett has continued to do well in the coaching ranks. 

3 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious!  I thought the original poster was responsible for the next hire. 🙄

No you didn't. You thought the AU Family was responsible, lol.

1 hour ago, miscram6 said:

The main problem with this thread is the title of it:

Instead, how about the Auburn family REFUSE to settle this time?!